Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Eclipse Shocks fit on a lancer???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2008, 10:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eclipse Shocks fit on a lancer???

Ok guys i know we dont have many options if we want to lower our cars... There is springs which arent adjustable and blow youre shocks after some time and the coilvers on the market for us are kind of expensive. (well for me)

Since i was bored and **** and was thinkin how i want to tuck tire in my lancer or just go lower then the tein s-techs drop me i was considering like just switching shocks with another car or customizing something... I mean the evo shocks fit the front of our cars but the back wont cuz the lower mouniting point is different... I googled and ebay some shocks to see which ones look like the lancer ones and the mirage and 3g eclipse ones look identical like they could be interchangeable on the cars... And I searched and found some guy on evom dropped his lancer 1.5inches with stock eclipse springs... but the thread ends there...

Now what i was thinkin is that if someone here has a 3g eclipse they can try to take out the strut shock assambly and compare it and try to match it up to the lancer one and fit it in a lancer... I think if you did straight swap it would drop ur car let alone using springs or adjustable shocks...

You guys may think im just blabbering or that it would be stupid to do this because they are different cars and different springs rates and one is heavier or w/e. I seriously think it wont make much a negative difference and if it can fit you can adjust ur shocks accordingly.. Plus your shocks would prolly last longer since lancer is lighter i think thus less force on the shocks when you hit a bump or something....

Also some of these things i said may not be true and i doubt everyone will read this long ****... but correct me if im wrong on anything and here are the pics of the shocks

Lancer kyb shocks (replacement for stock ones i think)

Here is the eclipse coilovers 3g (00-05)

it was hard to find pics of stock suspension.... but looking at those two pics they look identical...(well not really cuz eclipse ones are full coilovers) you might have to use lancer top mounts and stuff and just the bottom eclipse shocks assembly and stuff but it looks like it could workk.... someone please try this lol.... i dont have money to spend on eclipse struts or the time to take my car apart... and sorry for long postt
Old Jul 13, 2008, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Something tells me they don't fit since the KYB shocks for the lancer are different than the KYB shocks for the eclipse.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Yes amby i could be wrong because i dont have the acutal parts in front of me but i'm saying if someone has and eclipse they could try this... And the whole strut doesnt have to be excatly the same as long as it can bolt in at the bottom where the 2 holes are which look the same... then you can use the lancer top mount and everything... evo front struts fit on the lancer and the eclipse ones look to be same as evos i think since the 3g eclipse can use evo brembo brakes, other suspension parts must be interchangable too...

Of course we're never goin to find out by just sitting and typing on the computer.. SOMEONE TRY THIS ASAP!!! lol
Old Jul 14, 2008, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

You need more than just the bottom bolt to be the same, you could have clearance issues and top mount issues that cannot be resolved by using the stock lancer parts (assuming the stock lancer parts even fit). The evo front struts fit because from the center forward the lancer is essentially the same car as the evo. Brakes are independent of the suspension, ralliart guys are using DSM calipers as an upgrade but they can't use DSM suspension parts.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Even if everything bolts up, it's possible that the length of the strut body is different which will cause both the camber and caster to be way off (Toe also, but there's adjustment for that). The other prevailing theory is that mirage struts will fit the lancer ES, but no one seems to have tested that either.

The best way to test this is to get junkyard struts from a mirage or eclipse and try to fit the whole assembly. This way if it doesn't work, you're not out much money.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

I think the mirage stuff does fit, I vaguely recall someone doing that.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

yeh the mirage suspension is even cheaper...
Old Jul 14, 2008, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
I think the mirage stuff does fit, I vaguely recall someone doing that.
I haven't been on this board as long as you but I've searched up and down and could never find anything but hearsay on this topic. I would love to try out some Mirage struts but the junkyard ones that I've seen are all gutted. I won't be taking the chance on buying new ones, and I don't want a "sort of fits" situation that will require extensive modification to correct the change in camber/caster.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

yeah thats what im saying too^^ but there is many people on this forum and i bet one of them has a mirage that they can use the strut from and test it on a lancer or something...
Old Jul 14, 2008, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

I swear I saw someone take coilovers for the mirage and use it on a lancer. Try looking on a mirage board.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

yeh im hoping someone can try it to make certain because i dont want to spend money on something that wont work... if i ever get my hands on any mitsubishi car struts im gonna try em out just for kicks lol... I mean it would make sense for Mitsubishi designers to just keep some desings same on their cars since it saves time and money..

Um for the above posts about cast and camber being off im pretty sure the struts wouldn't make that much of a negative difference.... I think the eclipse springs are shorter stock then lancers so lowering springs would make a lancer dumped lol....

Amby im saying all you would use from mirage or eclipse would be the strut and the top mount and stuff would be from lancer so you wouldnt have problems bolting it up at the top 3 bolts... but from pics it looks like the other ones are the same as lancers so you might be able to use those too.....

Um also from the pics i saw the new 08 lancer seems to have same looking struts as us older lancer guys.... They can also use the springs made for our cars so they are probably same design if anything and could be probably interchangeable?
Old Jul 14, 2008, 05:45 PM

Ihave megan racing coilovers for the 3g eclipse, I am located in NY and would be willing to remove them and test try them since you are in CT
Old Jul 14, 2008, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Fronts from the Evo, Mirage and Ralliart will fit the Lancer. The 3G Eclipse fronts do appear that they may work. As for the rears, however, they will NOT work. The Evo, Mirage and 3G Eclipse all have an upper strut mounting point that is much higher than the Lancer. The Lancers rear upper strut mounting point is level with the floor.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ES_02
yeh im hoping someone can try it to make certain because i dont want to spend money on something that wont work... if i ever get my hands on any mitsubishi car struts im gonna try em out just for kicks lol... I mean it would make sense for Mitsubishi designers to just keep some desings same on their cars since it saves time and money..

Um for the above posts about cast and camber being off im pretty sure the struts wouldn't make that much of a negative difference.... I think the eclipse springs are shorter stock then lancers so lowering springs would make a lancer dumped lol....

Amby im saying all you would use from mirage or eclipse would be the strut and the top mount and stuff would be from lancer so you wouldnt have problems bolting it up at the top 3 bolts... but from pics it looks like the other ones are the same as lancers so you might be able to use those too.....

Um also from the pics i saw the new 08 lancer seems to have same looking struts as us older lancer guys.... They can also use the springs made for our cars so they are probably same design if anything and could be probably interchangeable?
Lowering the car does indeed effect the camber.
It's not as simple as just using the strut otherwise you could use the struts from a corvette.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

yes i know amby that it would not be as simple as said but then again if the struts are the same size and all and it fits i dont see what kind of problems it could cause.... if the strut is diff size and it still fits then it could make the car weird or w/e but if its like the same size just a beefier strut and car fits and rides well on it then that would be awesome...

Quick Reply: Eclipse Shocks fit on a lancer???