Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

CVT power

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2008, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CVT power

I was just wondering if anyone here gets better results accelerating if they hold the RPMs in the 4000-5500 range. I noticed that most of the people who do 0-60 or 0-100km use sport mode and just floor it. I notice that on my CVT it has a very small range of where the power is. If I floor it, it bogs down in the low end and power dies off in the high end. Holding it right in 4k-5k seems to get my needle to rise faster. Anyone else tried this?
Old Feb 14, 2008, 12:16 PM

How do you hold a cvt in the 4k-5k range? Brakes?
Old Feb 14, 2008, 02:54 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 08_tweek
How do you hold a cvt in the 4k-5k range? Brakes?
Um, no. The idea of CVT is that the accelerator controls the RPMs. You just hold it down to a point where it goes to 4k-5k and don't push any harder. If you floor it, it goes to 6k, so that's too much pressure.

Are you a CVT driver or no?
Old Feb 14, 2008, 08:53 PM

I noticed the same as the initial poster. If I'm driving along at 45mph and I give it gas but just enough to get it to about 4500 rpm the car seems to accelerate to 60-70 a lot faster then if I just floored it.

I "think" our cars have an full throttle A/C cut off though, so you may be able to generate more power by flooring the car if you had the A/C on.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 06:50 AM

same here, when i shift down to accelerate it usualy jumps up to that 4.5-5k range without flooring it and the acceleration is much better. anything under or over dident work aswell.

anyway just my feeling maybe, im still verry newb about the CVT only had it about 1 month

but i love my GTS :P
Old Feb 15, 2008, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

I haven't really tried the 0-60, but I know on the highway, slipping into sport mode and downshifting into fifth gear always gives better passing power than just flooring it. It gets the RPMs right in that 4000-5000 range. Seems to be the sweet spot on the power band.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Thats where the toque is on our cars 4250 rpm that will get you up and going but you need the horsepower to keep you going and get you there faster which is up around 6200rpm?!
Old Feb 15, 2008, 02:34 PM

Well, we are talking about 0-60 acceleration, not so much highway which is what you are talking about Cam. If you mash your accelerator to about 3/4 you will get it up to 4000-5000 rpm and the car really seems to respond to it well. But I find it strange thats where the power is, and such a difference from the rest of the power band, hence getting headers and axleback might really smooth things out.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

oh I dunno, you can really feel the power spike in 1st and 2nd gears in a 5spd car. And if you look at the dyno sheets that people have posted you'll see that it is where the torque on our cars peaks. Around 3.75 - 4K is where the valve timing switches from economy to power mode, and even in the 5spd cars you'll notice the switch ~a lot~ more if you're not WOT.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:14 AM

Thanks for your input, but what does it have to do with the CVT? Yes I understand that the peak tq is at 4000 rpm and that MIVEC kicks in there too, but...I would like to see what kind of a difference headers and axle back would make in the power band. It's sad how it spikes and dies off. Its like there is nothing, then a surge, then dies off.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlueGTS
Thanks for your input, but what does it have to do with the CVT?
Well, in regards to a CVT, if you hold the RPMs between 4 and 5K while accelerating, then you'll probably experience the best acceleration (like originally posted).
Old Feb 16, 2008, 01:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlueGTS
Thanks for your input, but what does it have to do with the CVT? Yes I understand that the peak tq is at 4000 rpm and that MIVEC kicks in there too, but...I would like to see what kind of a difference headers and axle back would make in the power band. It's sad how it spikes and dies off. Its like there is nothing, then a surge, then dies off.
techinically MIVEC is engaged below 4000 and above, their are two modes to MIVEC, so there is a point where a performance cross over occurs. Let me see if i can find the recent white papers on the current generation of MIVEC
Old Feb 16, 2008, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

I really wish cvt was more predictable. When I want to go fast it takes forever to accelerate, but when im just cruising along I find myself going 100 mph+ off an exit ramp. If you floor it you will get no where. But I have notice that when in sports mode, 3.5k - 4.5kish is the idle shift point. Shift anywhere after 5k rpms and it feels very slow, almost as if your down shifting.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:28 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Bladed
I really wish cvt was more predictable. When I want to go fast it takes forever to accelerate, but when im just cruising along I find myself going 100 mph+ off an exit ramp. If you floor it you will get no where. But I have notice that when in sports mode, 3.5k - 4.5kish is the idle shift point. Shift anywhere after 5k rpms and it feels very slow, almost as if your down shifting.
You are aware that the CVT is not the "racecar edition," correct? You seem to be expecting a lot out of the econobox that you purchased...
Old Feb 17, 2008, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

lol i know its not a race car. I don't mind it being slow, im just saying that when I want to go slow it sometimes goes very fast unexpectedly. I just want it to be more predictable and not just go fast when it wants to (or slow when it wants too)

Quick Reply: CVT power