Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Service Engine Soon light turns on and off

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2005, 01:51 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Service Engine Soon light turns on and off

Hey guys, I don't post much because I do a lot of reading and pressing of the search button, but I've noticed a small problem as of late with the "Service Engine Soon" light comming on. And then I'll turn off and on at random times duing the day. I went to AutoZone and had the guy check it out and he just said "It's running to lean, too much air, not enough gas." That really doesn't make much since to me, because I don't have any mods to the ECU that would control the gas to air ratio. The only modifcations I have are AEM CAI and Magnaflow catback. I've had the CAI for quite some time, and never have seen that light come on untill after the recalls on the ECU. It didn't come on immedietly, maybe a month after it was done. One day it lit up for about 2 days, then tuned off for a day, then would turn on for part of the day etc, etc. After I put the Magnaflow, it still had the same behavior. About a week ago, I had my car taking in to a very good shop in the neighborhood, and the light was off at the time I took it in, and there computers pulled up nothing. They changed the oil, rotated tires, and fixed my brakes while I was there. Couple days later, that damn light turns on again. I'm stumped at what would cause my car to start randomly mixed air and fuel incorrectly all of a sudden. My guess it could be from the recall, but I dunno. Anyone have something similar happen?
Old Dec 5, 2005, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put the stock intake on and go to Mitsu and tell them their new reflash is causing SES light.
Did you get any rpm hang?
Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:56 PM

I wish I still had the stock intake to put back on, I gave it away.

I've read the whole thread about the rpm hang deal, and I'm still not to sure if I have it or not. I noticed a difference after the flash, but I'm so used to the way it drives now, I can't remember what it was like before.

I think I'll try to go back to the local shop and get their opinion when I have time and hopefully the little light will stay on when I arrive there.

BTW the dude at AutoZone said it could be because of "sh!tty gas" (that's what he said), after he said that, I don't think the guy knows what he's doing. Or how to work the little computer. I've always got the same gas from the same place ever since I got the car. Thanks for your help thou. I always appreciate it.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:40 PM

what's rpm hang???...i had a problem after i installed my blitz intake...sometimes the car wouldn't rev past 4k...and the CEL came on...it was strange, so i unplugged the battery while doin an oil change and everything was back to normal...but the thing is (maybe its jus me), the rev dropped about 500rpm lower...at 65 mph i'm at 3k in 5th and at 80 i'm at 3500...any insights???
Old Dec 6, 2005, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Alexman2525, I wouldn't take it anywhere else than the dealership. Everyone else will look for a problem all around the car and charge for every minute of work.
Check you MAF too. Maybe it got disconnected or damaged?
Old Dec 6, 2005, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
after my PCM reflash i had a problem with the CEL too...when plugged into mitsu's diagnostic comp (it's different than an OBD II reader) i was getting a reading of a lag in my EGR system and more importantly a reading of air intake temperature to high. check all of your hoses, if you get a chance to check your EGR system (clean the throttly body, check/clean/replace if needed EGR valve, hoses, etc.) i did this and it minimized the RPM hang from the PCM reflash and eliminated all of the CEL codes (except the PO 141 which was heated o2 sensor circuit malfunction...i cut out my 2nd o2 sensor ) if you have any questions about pulling that stuff apart, PM me and i'll scan shop pics for you.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gregivq
Check you MAF too. Maybe it got disconnected or damaged?
yes,yes,yes. check your MAF sensor too. i forgot to reinforce that....although, mine was not damaged and mitsu said that was my issue. they quoted me around 500-600 to replace it and i laughed and took the car home. however, there is a possibility that is part of the problem. if you take it to mitsu, ask a lot of questions and be informed before you go in there.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 09:22 PM

Thanks! When I get a chance, I'll check out the MAS. That sounds like it makes sence, if something is wrong with it, that's why I'm prolly running lean. 500-600 bucks for replacement?? dang. I'll search the internet for a while, there has got to be something more affordable. Last resort is going to the dealership. There is one that is a couple miles from my house, and the guy I talk to is a cool guy, never shaddy or trying to make money off of me. But the place is always so damn busy. But like I said, I'll check out the MAS connection, and the unit itself for anything damaged or loose.

BTW, what is CEL? And does Mistu charge for diagnostics?

Last edited by Alexman2525; Dec 6, 2005 at 09:31 PM.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Alexman2525
BTW, what is CEL? And does Mistu charge for diagnostics?
a CEL is the same thing as a service engine soon only it stands for Check Engine Light same lingo only in its shortend form unless you are covered by warranty mitsu will charge you for a diagnostic. i got mine for free because they messed up the car when they did the PCM reflash. i'm not really sure of the price though. I can get you a price on the MAF sensor if you know how to change one yourself, or look for one at a junkyard. make some phone calls and get one shipped to you if that is what the problem really is. PM me if you need help getting your hands on one. Mitsu is not the only location to get one

oh btw, don't forget to check your EGR system like i said previously. make sure all of those hoses are on right, no dry rotting, etc. Pull off your throttle body and clean it. do the same with the EGR valve.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 08:54 AM

Again, thanks for the info. I'll start to check those things out, if the problem continues, but I think I found out what might be causing my problem.

HOW THAT HAPPENS, I don't know. It sure as heck wasn't like that when I put the CAI on.

So I spent about a half hour with some tweezers, straighting out those honeycomb things. Some aren't honeycomb-shaped anymore, but there isn't any flat spots that would redirect air away or towards the little sensor.

So I put everything back on nice and snug, and let it idle for a couple mins, and no light came on. But it does have a history of appearing at random, so I'll see what happens the next couple days of driving.

Meanwhile, I'm going to continue to inspect the CAI, and figure out how the heck something got in there. If the light turns on again after this, then I'll be PMing your comatose721 and start checking out those things. Or a new MAS is prolly the answer.

Last edited by Alexman2525; Dec 7, 2005 at 08:56 AM.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

good luck. lets hope no further damage was caused inside the sensor. i know you mentioned trying to get to a local shop but if you another CEL go straight to autozone and have them pull the code while its still on. that would be very beneficial. also, make sure that your air filter is on there nice and snug and that there are no holes in it (debris is not MAF friendly)

btw, found you a new MAF for $285 brand new from an online mitsu dealer

Last edited by comatose721; Dec 7, 2005 at 09:22 AM. Reason: i can't spell
Old Dec 7, 2005, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Check your filter. Some of them have really poor design and could open up letting all the crap to get in there.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by comatose721
btw, found you a new MAF for $285 brand new from an online mitsu dealer
Better check out 'Rhyzin' s thread for swapping mafs. Their bigger, better, CHEAPER
Old Dec 7, 2005, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

nice. thanks.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

oh alexman...saw you pic of your MAF and you can use a small alen wrench to reshape the honeycomb...just thought id let you know since you said you were using tweezers...hehe

Quick Reply: Service Engine Soon light turns on and off