Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Major coolant leak 2004 Lancer ES

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2014, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major coolant leak 2004 Lancer ES

Hey so I've had some pretty bad luck with my cooling system in the past months and now its haunting me again!
I replaced my radiator already after it blew up, and I replaced along with it the radiator cap and my thermostat.

I was driving to school and noticed my temp gauge going up to hot quick, and i know it's right because it's a fresh thermostat! So I pull over and notice I need some coolant, by the time I get to autozone my engine starts smoking. Something I'm all too familiar with... And after I fill up the reservoir I run the car with hood up and I can see the reservoir burping up air which could only mean there's a leak! I look under the car and of course fluid is pouring out from underneath all my belts. It wasn't just a drip though. More like a stream... My guess is that my water pump is done (182k and unknown service records) but if anybody has any other suggestions please help me out!

It's freezing cold outside so id like to spend as little time under the car as possible diagnosing and repairing my problem lol. I've never done water pump work before btw.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's the water pump. Might as well change your timing belt while you're there if you're unsure about the milage on that too. (read: do it)

Also I hope you didn't blow a head gasket.