Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Silent Killer Seen at AutoX today...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2009, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Silent Killer Seen at AutoX today...

Pulled a 38.994 sec. (Quite slow compared to Vette's, EVO, even my 3G) I am sure with a better drive the car would be in the 37's or faster stock on the course.

Originally Posted by Wiki
Tesla Motors' first production vehicle, the Tesla Roadster, is an all-electric sports car. According to test results from an EPA certified laboratory, the car has a range of 221 miles (356 km). The company and reviewers state that the Tesla Roadster accelerates from zero to 60 mph (100 km/h) in less than four seconds, and has a top speed of 125 mph (201 km/h) (limited for safety). The cost of powering the vehicle is estimated at US$0.02 per mile.[7]

Prototypes were introduced to the public in July 2006, and the Tesla Roadster was featured on the cover of Time Magazine in December 2006 as the recipient of the magazine's "Best Inventions 2006 - Transportation Invention" award.[7] Demand has been high for the first "Signature One Hundred" set of fully equipped Roadsters, which sold out in less than three weeks,[8] and the second hundred sold out by October, 2007. As of May 2 2008, more than 600 Tesla Roadsters have been reserved and 400 more are on the waiting list.[9] The first production model was delivered to Elon Musk, Chairman of the Board, in February, 2008 and general production began on March 17, 2008.[10]

There have been very few reviews of the Roadster since it is so exclusive. In an early layman's Tesla Roadster Review, some information not previously disclosed was discussed. Since the Roadster is fully electric, there is no engine cranking sound, so the driver is greeted with a chime. The dashboard, besides displaying RPM and speed, also indicates how many amps are being used instantaneously. There is also a special battery control screen to the left indicating state of charge that is also lit when the car was charging.

On January 11 2009, Tesla started taking orders for their new Tesla Roadster Sport, an enhanced-performance version of the Roadster that sells for $128,500, deliveries starting in June. [11]

Last edited by Clipse3GT; Apr 19, 2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting. What tires? Do you know?

From what i've seen on Top Gear, it's faster than an elise in the straight line but handles horribly mainly due to the OEM tires which are designed for reduced rolling friction and not grip.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

They look like A048's from the pictures.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont see any numbers on the car. Was that car competing?
Old Apr 20, 2009, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
They are not silent once they are up to speed; the wind noise coming off them is surprisingly high and is louder than many other cars even taking into account the motors. I see them out here every day since the dealership is right down the street.

However, I have seen a few home made plug ins and it you are willing to void the warranty and put a hotter controller on then they could have some serious potential if you can get them to handle. Electric motors can make some serious power if you overclock them (I don't know the actual term, but that is basically what you do)
Old Apr 20, 2009, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Global warming scale. What a load.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Did it run out of juice?

(Basing all I know of the Tesla on the Top Gear showing... )

And I still don't like the car, environmentally speaking - it has batteries that need to be processed when they are cashed, where does the electricity come from to charge it (coal), etc.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Did it run out of juice?

And I still don't like the car, environmentally speaking - it has batteries that need to be processed when they are cashed, where does the electricity come from to charge it (coal), etc.

but I agree

They can be fun if done right, I have seen an electric truck that would spin the tires if you dropped the hammer on the highway, but it was no better and probably even worse for the environment than the dinosaur burner equivalent
Old Apr 21, 2009, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Did it run out of juice?

while I agree the batteries are an issue, you had to admit that the electricity plants are much easier to control and upgrade than millions of individual vehicles.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Tires look like Toyo R888s
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They are Advans, same ones that come on the Elise.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

saw one on the street (in NY too, the big deal being that they are only sold in Cali).

it wasnt 100% silent, as one would imagine it would be. looked pretty awesome though.

tires are Advans - front 175/55/16 (rears 225/45/17 though)
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:07 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by goofygrin
while I agree the batteries are an issue, you had to admit that the electricity plants are much easier to control and upgrade than millions of individual vehicles.
My vote is still for hydrogen. Turn each car into its own little power plant. All of the power benefits of electric without the crippling weight of batteries.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:41 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

i like the honda insight.. that thing looks legit. also i was watching nova and they were talking about hybrid cars and they were talking about opponents of hybrids talking about how we are just shifting energy sources to power plants. but if you think about it, its easier to produce power from a power plant by solar power, wind, and what ever sources of "natural power plants"
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
My vote is still for hydrogen. Turn each car into its own little power plant. All of the power benefits of electric without the crippling weight of batteries.
and the amusing uncertainty of riding on top of a tank of highly flammable gas, compressed at 5000psi ... or more

Quick Reply: Silent Killer Seen at AutoX today...