Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

KANSAS CITY or surrounding areas please help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KANSAS CITY or surrounding areas please help

Hey, I'm in Philly..and moving to Kansas City this month for a job transfer... I Have some questions....

Is 93 or 94 octane gas a norm? Redilly available? (just wondering, because the more west you go..the lower the grade).

Is there any good tuner shops in the area? (I'm looking at living in the Overland Park area in Kansas but gonna work in Kansas City, MO.)

How's the import scene? And anything else you can tell me about the area? Roads smooth for the most part?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:20 PM

Roads are nice when they don't have a sheet of ice on them.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I pm'd ya back about the octane - it's still 93 land all through IL and MO - no problem.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by boomn29
I pm'd ya back about the octane - it's still 93 land all through IL and MO - no problem.
Maybe you could PM me about the gas in KC cause I'm only able to find 91 around KC, since the shell near me droped its 93.

Theres at least 2 awd dynos around town and a few shops. I have no experience with the any of the shops work, since I do my own wrenching.

On a totally different note you may want to check into the details of working in one state and living in another cause of the different taxes, I know it seems to cause a few of my co-workers some pain.

Last edited by ill born; Mar 11, 2005 at 12:06 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 12:21 AM
Evolving Member

I too live in OP, where you move too? Down by 151st? Gas is at 91 out here and 2.20.... they scene sucks. Alot of ricers. KC Trendz is overpriced, Tokyo Image is alright, Scandlist(S/P?) customs blows, I think Dark Sol closed down. I don't think I would trust too many shops out here. Just giving you a heads-up. Try up and down 135th street on Friday and Saturday nights. 135th and clairborne area or 135th and Antioch area crawls at night. Pretty much olathe, lenexa, shawnee, and o.p. are all the same. Some times you can catch the old farts that dragout their 80,000 dollar toys on the weekends.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 01:06 AM
Evolved Member

KC roads = nice
KCMO roads = crap

Highest octane is BP 92 octane

I have no experence with any shops around here (dealership sux), i do all my mechanic work myself. just in the last couple months, 2 AWD dynos opened (finally). One is a prosche shop and the other is a import tuner shop.

As for the import scene, meet the right ppl and you'll have a great friday/saturday night.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

The scene in this town is pretty bad from what was mentioned above about all the ricers and parking lot racers. The fun really starts when it's a small group and later in the evening/early morning 12 in the morning on.

The shops in the area are another thing all together. Dieman motorsports just opened in the past year in the Lee's Summit are and this is the only local shop that I would trust with my car. They have a brand new Mustang AWD dyno, www.diemanmotorsports.com is the website.

BTW, Dieman is currently trying to setup a Evo dyno day here shortly for local Evo owners, or anyone that would like to visit from out of town, for people to get to know the shop and the people that work there. Let me know if anyone is interested in the dyno day from the local area or surrounding area, I was thinking of making a seperate post but not to many people from the KC area are on this site.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 08:45 PM
SRJ

Let me know when you get in town and I'll be glad to show you around if I can get away from the wife for a little while.

The scene around here is not that great. I haven't met a lot of evo owners. Maybe we could get some evo owners together coming up. Maybe at Dieman Motorsports.
Old Mar 19, 2005, 04:40 PM

BHR (Bob Henson Racing) www.bobhindsonracinginc.com at 29th and Holmes has worked on Evos before. They installed a turbo back for one guy. They are mainly a Porsche shop, but are expanding to other makes.

Provided me good service on my Passat clutch replacement.

92 at BP is the best you'll see here. No problems in my MR, even when I have to use 91.

Old Apr 4, 2005, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

I'm in gladstone, but I have looked at every gas station in the area 92 octane at the BP's is as good as it gets. As far as evos, we should all get together. we don't have to do anything we could meet at a restruant and just chill, talk, and dry hump our cars. What about saturday april 16th. go to a restruant, and meet some folks. maybe I will start a thread, my brother in law has an MR so there is 2 evos.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 04:03 PM

Hey...I live in Blue Springs, MO. The roads suck!!! I just moved here a year ago from Connecticut...but I grew up here and the roads have always sucked!!! In Grain Valley, MO....about 10 min. from here they have 100 and 110 octane. I just filled up...$4.99 for 110 octane.

It is nice weather and good times here.....good luck.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Evo owner from Whiteman AFB here close to Warrensburg MO. I hope we can all meet someday.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 01:49 PM
SRJ

MetalGear nice to hear from you. Welcome. Yeah a couple of us met back in June or July and went out to eat. It was cool to see 5 or 6 Evos together. There aren't many of us around here.

Thanks for reviving this thread it was long dead and I hadn't heard from any of the KC guys in a long time. Maybe some of them will answer up. Sam
Old Oct 18, 2005, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

This is a thread from the past. Haven't been out at all this year as the car has been getting re-worked, should be up and running this weekend. BTW, here is a local car forum to join if you haven't already www.kcsr.org.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 11:10 PM

hey guys - there is a KU vs MU football game on the 29th (in Lawrence), which I will be heading to Lawrence for - it seems like a decent chance to all get together at any time that weekend, if anyody else wants to check out the game and/or meet sometime that weekend for some runnin' around........we'll be tailgating adn going out all weekend, so you might as well cruise on out if you're in the area.....

Quick Reply: KANSAS CITY or surrounding areas please help