Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Shocks For Autocross

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2005, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shocks For Autocross

Time to go to work on the 05's suspension.

There are many coil over setups available but most of the shocks have a single adjustment for both compression and rebound at the same time. I have never used shocks that adjust both at the same time. How does this work for autocrossing?

I have always had double adjustable shocks on other AX cars. I set the compression for the site's surface then fine tune the handling with rebound adjustments.

Should I try the single adjustment shocks or should I stay with the doubles? AX budget is max $2500 to $3500 for coil overs. The car will be setup for BSP or STU and will also be a daily driver

Also does Koni have anything for our cars yet?

Thanks for your help.

Jim H.
Old Oct 22, 2005, 08:42 PM

http://www.roadracechassis.com/
Talk to john he will anwser all off you questions and set you up right.
Old Oct 22, 2005, 09:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by SOLO2M3
Time to go to work on the 05's suspension.

There are many coil over setups available but most of the shocks have a single adjustment for both compression and rebound at the same time. I have never used shocks that adjust both at the same time. How does this work for autocrossing?

I have always had double adjustable shocks on other AX cars. I set the compression for the site's surface then fine tune the handling with rebound adjustments.

Should I try the single adjustment shocks or should I stay with the doubles? AX budget is max $2500 to $3500 for coil overs. The car will be setup for BSP or STU and will also be a daily driver

Also does Koni have anything for our cars yet?

Thanks for your help.

Jim H.

Another very good option is to get Ohlins, Mark Daddio uses them, We used them (Vishnu) to set several handling records (see current BFG adds). Vishnu will custom valve them, get you all the bushings and alinement specs needed to hone the EVO's handling to national event winning level. Yes they are in your price range, contact Dustin @ Vishnu or pm me if you have any questions
Old Oct 23, 2005, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chronohunter
Another very good option is to get Ohlins, Mark Daddio uses them, We used them (Vishnu) to set several handling records (see current BFG adds). Vishnu will custom valve them, get you all the bushings and alinement specs needed to hone the EVO's handling to national event winning level. Yes they are in your price range, contact Dustin @ Vishnu or pm me if you have any questions
Are you able to setup the Ohlins shocks with the stock springs and top hats for A stock? I am looking to see what the car can do in AS before I move to STU or BSP/ESP. Could you PM me some pricing on this setup if this is possible?

Thanks.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 02:39 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

+1 for the Vishnu Ohlins. They are very refined and have been exceptionally well developed! I am always impressed how well Chronohunter's car goes around the track and how compliant it is on the street.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

What I kinda find intresting is that our one freind had Works tuned Zeals on his car.... yet he swaps them for some $700 dollar coilovers and makes absolutely huge gains on the fastest cars. I realize that in road racing there is a huge difference between high end coilovers and cheaper ones, but If you choose a properly setup cheaper coilover it did not seem like there was much benefits to spending tons of money just for autox
Old Oct 23, 2005, 07:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Boder
Are you able to setup the Ohlins shocks with the stock springs and top hats for A stock? I am looking to see what the car can do in AS before I move to STU or BSP/ESP. Could you PM me some pricing on this setup if this is possible?

Thanks.
AFAIK you can't run the Ohlins with stock struts, you have to go with the ultra-high dollar Koni inserts They cost more than the Ohlins and you of course are limited to stock springs so they don't handle or ride as well as the Ohlins I recommend going up a class! Your car and wallet will be happier...
Old Oct 24, 2005, 09:31 AM

Jim, I called Advance Design last week inquiring about Evo solutions. Apparently they've done a set in the past and are anxious to get started on more in a couple of weeks. They'd be my top choice, but daily driver duties might take it's toll on their performance. I'd call them though, I think you'll be pleased.

Brian
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Jim, you should defintely run STU next year. I'll be moving there next year as well. And as you know, we have a huge showing in the class this year.

Since I know you are a big fan of the Motons, their Club Sport shocks have shown to work really well on our cars. The Ohlins R&T would be my next choice. Of course, I can afford neither. So I will more than likely run the KW V3's.

Jeremy :young whipper snapper
Old Oct 24, 2005, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ratt_finkel
Jim, you should defintely run STU next year. I'll be moving there next year as well. And as you know, we have a huge showing in the class this year.

Since I know you are a big fan of the Motons, their Club Sport shocks have shown to work really well on our cars. The Ohlins R&T would be my next choice. Of course, I can afford neither. So I will more than likely run the KW V3's.

Jeremy :young whipper snapper
What he said. /\

The Evo has not yet proven itself in A-Stock on a Divisional or National level where the C4 Vette and S2000 rule. Hopefully JWTodd proves otherwise. Come play in STU!

Dave
Old Oct 24, 2005, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

STU also has a softer index than A-Stock.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Silencer
What he said. /\

The Evo has not yet proven itself in A-Stock on a Divisional or National level where the C4 Vette and S2000 rule. Hopefully JWTodd proves otherwise. Come play in STU!

Dave
I beg to differ, most EVOs are showing up with stock Advans, are then being beaten by S2000s with race rubber (Hoosier)... Give the EVOs in AS some race tires and then we'll see what happens. What I don't understand is they allow more mods on ST- classes (STS, STX, STU) but limit them to non R-compound tires ... yet stock class cars are allowed to use R-compound tires ... it just doesn't make any sense ... I think they shouldn't allow race tires in the stock class, if you were to follow that logic
Old Oct 24, 2005, 12:56 PM

Brian, I've been in touch with AD. They said they should have Evo shocks shortly and will email me when they do.

sk8bored, I left a voice mail for John to call me.

Chronohunter, Dustin's gone until Wednesday. I'll call him then.

Jeremy, what's your source for KW VS's? I'm thinking about possibly doing STU but I hate street tires so it'll probably be BSP.

Thanks for the info guys!

Jim H.

ps AWD ROCKS at a wet autocross!
Old Oct 24, 2005, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
I beg to differ, most EVOs are showing up with stock Advans, are then being beaten by S2000s with race rubber (Hoosier)... Give the EVOs in AS some race tires and then we'll see what happens. What I don't understand is they allow more mods on ST- classes (STS, STX, STU) but limit them to non R-compound tires ... yet stock class cars are allowed to use R-compound tires ... it just doesn't make any sense ... I think they shouldn't allow race tires in the stock class, if you were to follow that logic
Do some research and you will beg to differ with your last statement. Try the latest A- Stock results from Nationals in Topeka. I ran A-Stock locally in 03', and Divisional/ National events in 04' (including Pro Solo). I swithched to STU in 05'. There are a few drivers that are still running A-Stock at Tours and Pros, but most have switched to ESP(soon to be BSP), SM, or STU where the Evo is competitive. The Evo does good in AS at the local level.

Dave
Old Oct 24, 2005, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Silencer
Do some research and you will beg to differ with your last statement. Try the latest A- Stock results from Nationals in Topeka. I ran A-Stock locally in 03', and Divisional/ National events in 04' (including Pro Solo). I swithched to STU in 05'. There are a few drivers that are still running A-Stock at Tours and Pros, but most have switched to ESP(soon to be BSP), SM, or STU where the Evo is competitive. The Evo does good in AS at the local level.

Dave
You're right, I shoulda mentioned local level ... but I really think a stock EVO (especially 05 up, with front LSD and ACD) can be setup to take AS depending on the course. Even within A stock there is plenty you can do help the EVO (catback, airfilter, brakepads and the more importantly tires). I'm sure STU is where the EVO really shines

Quick Reply: Shocks For Autocross