Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Buschur Racing's 4G Eclipse

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Buschur Racing's 4G Eclipse

I've been threatening a picture thread for some time on this car and Jarrod took some for me this morning. We got this car from Mitsubishi to build for SEMA back in 2006. The car was used for shows and at a few DSM/EVO Shootouts over the years. Then I got the bug to try road racing and decided to take it and see how it did. Surprisingly the car did well and with each change it did better and better. The car is very overlooked by the performance crowd and I'll tell you all, it's a mistake. I am running the V6 model, on our dyno it makes about 226 whp and the same torque. For NASA rules the car has to have a correction factor of 10% added to any Mustang Dyno or be dyno'd on a Dynojet. I chose to use the Dynojet at Mid Ohio a few weeks ago and the car made 247.5 whp and again about the same torque.

I started running the car in NASA HPDE's and moved up through 1-2-3 and 4. Then went on to get my TT license and have been racing in TT for about a year. The car wasn't very competitive racing against slick tired or race type DOT tires. Problem was it was classes in TTE and I was out of points, so a move to good tire would put the car into TTD. Over this last winter I decided to go ahead and try moving up. The first time out this year on a set of Hankook C51's I set the Mid Ohio TTD Club course record with the car running a 1:44.197 lap. The car was running Megan coil overs, a moderate alignment that I did myself and the Hankooks. It also has a muffler-less exhaust I built from the back of the cat to the back of the car and our full intake/cold air on it. For brakes I am using a set of EVO8 front brakes, Hawk pads and in the rear stock brakes with EBC Yellow pads. Pretty simple combination.

About a month ago Robi from Robispec came in and brought me a set of KW struts. He corner balanced the car, aligned it and we headed back to Mid Ohio. This time they were running the Pro Course and I once again set the track record with a 1:40.64 lap.

We just finished another weekend with the car and did very well again. I ran one full session on Saturday, it was EXTREMELY slippery as it had just rained really light. The car was WAY to loose for me, I didn't like it and wasn't comfortable at all, still ran a 1:40.16, taking another .5 off my old best time. The rest of the weekend Robi spent in the car testing new tires etc. On Sunday morning with another new alignment, lower ride height, 100 pounds unbolted from it and a set of actual Hoosier slicks he was able to run a 1:39.22 in the car, placing himself 4th in TTC.

The cars are heavy, this particular car has the A/C removed completely under the hood. The rear bumper beam is gone, most of the interior is now gone, Kirky racing seat and a Schroth Harness. The weight comes in at 3430 pounds with a 200 pound driver and we have to bolt in 100 pounds of weight on top of that to make our minimum weight in TTD. The cars are also fantastic on the road course, it surprises me every time I take it out and it completely screws with the minds of other competitors! I am constantly told it's a "strippers car", well there must be some very fast strippers out there!

I've got Hoosier A6's on order for myself for NASA Nationals in a few weeks. I'm going to give winning a National Road Racing title a shot and should have a good shot at it. Hoosier offers some really nice contingency that I wasn't aware of, had I been I'd have 12 new tires sitting here.....maybe I'll get lucky and win a few at Nationals!

Here are some pictures of the car currently.

Old Aug 15, 2011, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks like you've been having fun in that car! Props for not just going the more conventional route road racing an Evo X or Evo 8/9 for that matter. Besides, you learn a ton more piloting a car that isn't a pavement melter and optimize what you have through better driving, which translates to breaking class records as you have proven!

Have you messed with the tune on the car at all to dial in AFR's & timing or is it still stock maps? Does that engine have MIVEC as well?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
congrats for your times, Nice to see something different too
Old Aug 15, 2011, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

I can't access the ECU, I wish I could so its stock. Yes it has MIVEC.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by David Buschur
are you allowed to use after market ECU? I mean you are one of those mitsu Guru's , and you can easily access to one for that mater
Old Aug 15, 2011, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car looks good. Nice to see a drag racer come out and start making some noise turning . Good luck at Nationals!
Old Aug 15, 2011, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by David Buschur
I thought I read somewhere people modding the ECU tunes on these, ECUFlash should just need a valid definition file created. Being a Normally Aspirated car it won't be huge gains but you never know how much they left on the table.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:32 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You love CE-28s!
Old Aug 16, 2011, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Colby contacted me about a year ago and I was hoping to see the ECU get cracked. I can use any ECU in the car, it's just extra points. I'd like to just bump the rev limiter in the car, that's all it needs although I'm sure few extra HP could be made. I am at the absolute limit for power on the car to stay in this class, actually .5 whp is how far I am under the limit.

If any of you know of the ROM/XML's or can contact Colby to see if he cracked it that would be awesome.

Yes, I do love the CE28 look! haha

As for the drag racer comment, thank you. I think though a lot of people over look all the other things we do that aren't drag racing. They forget about some cars we were involved in from long ago SCCA autocross stuff, the Time Attack car, 24 hour of Lemons engine builds etc. We can do it all.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 06:52 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome, glad to see you finally put a thread up for this car! Good luck at Nationals!
Old Aug 17, 2011, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesomeness! Cool to see a different car out there. Good luck and stay safe.

P.S. I'm shocked it's still so heavy!
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Already working on the car again for Nationals. Bleed the brakes, put some ARP wheel studs in the front, re-installed the 100 pounds of ballast we need and did some paint work. A few years ago, 2007, I loaned the car to someone to drive at Nationals, back when it was basically stock with Eibachs, axle back, filter and a set of Toyo R1's. He lost the brakes on it nearly every session and had come in and hit a chain link fence in the pits with the nose. I sanded it all out yesterday and taped off the front. Then painted the center of the bumper cover, so it looks like the new Mitsubishi's do with the black center, came out good actually. I've got my A6's mounted up on the wheels and ready to rock. Just a few more small things now before Nationals and it's ready.