Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

SCCA race car update due to rules changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SCCA race car update due to rules changes

This year the SCCA is combining the faster T2 cars such as the Evo and Mustang with the T1 cars like the Vipers and Vettes to form the new T2. They are slowing the former T1 cars by adding weight and restrictor and speeding the Evo up by pulling weight, pulling my restrictor, giving me stiffer springs, 18 inch wheels and Evo X brakes. At Road America there was an 8 second delta between the classes last year, so the idea is to slow them by 4 seconds and speed us up by 4. Road Atlanta will be the first test against the Vette and Mustang next weekend.

Evo X brakes and 18 inch wheels

Weights I had bolted in the trunk

Last edited by Galant VR-4 #34; Mar 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There were a lot of discussions about this back in October. Im really curious to see how this all plays out because of the changes that have been made by both SCCA and NASA. Not sure where everyone stands now, but last i heard 10+ T1 guys in Socal decided as a group to run with NASA in ST2. Btw, nice ballast.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Great for racing to combine the classes for bigger fields. Better yet your performace increase is relatively inexpensive as it is for the T1 cars to drop down Smart decision all around! Best wishes. My NASA ST-2 car now is eligible for a performance upgrade as well but with a more costly road.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

It will be interesting and fun to uncork the Evo after all these years. The move is really designed to save the T1 class, T2 has always been one of the healthier fields in the SCCA. The Southern California Vette guys didn't like the idea of being slowed to save their class which in my opinion is silly. I have been running with a restrictor and at nearly 3500 pounds for years and it hasn't lessened the experience. Only a couple of them even go to the Runoffs anyway so I really don't think they will be missed. I wish them the best in NASA.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 02:08 AM
Evolving Member

Can't wait to see all the damage you will do this season
Old Mar 14, 2013, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

Working on your car is always fun! Can't wait to hear the report from Road Atlanta this weekend!
Old Mar 14, 2013, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
how much weight did you have added, holy crap! now you can start working out again!
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Evo X brake calipers and rotors are bigger than Evo IX? Do they bolt up to the same point on the uprights?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

The X MR brakes dwarf the 8/9 brakes. They will bolt up but you must drill out the knuckles to accept a larger bolt.

The rear is a different story. Will take a lot of work to get the rears, probably a custom trick bracket.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I can get out of the garage I should be spectating on Sunday...Beerfest on Saturday
Old Mar 14, 2013, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by PharmEcis
The X MR brakes dwarf the 8/9 brakes. They will bolt up but you must drill out the knuckles to accept a larger bolt.

The rear is a different story. Will take a lot of work to get the rears, probably a custom trick bracket.
I assume the fronts will only work with an 18" wheel as well?
Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by codgi
I assume the fronts will only work with an 18" wheel as well?
Yes.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Curious to see what kind of lap times you guys get at Road Atl.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Weekend did not get off to a good start, in practice with year old race tires and not pushing hard we ran a 35.9 which was just under the T2 track record. But with the new rules I'm shooting for 33s. So in quals this morning it was very cold-in the high 30s and on the opening qual lap I didn't warm up my new big brakes enough and was able to barely slow for T1, went into a drift up the hill but the tires were just too cold and I touched the wall outside of T3. We are getting the car ready for the race tomorrow bit I didn't get a chance to get a qual time so I will be starting from the back of the pack. A corvette is on the pole with a 33 and change. He is about 12 cars up from me so it won't be easy to catch him, lets hope for a great start and lots of traffic! There will also be a race on Sunday

Also, the Evo X brakes worked great om the IX (other than my mishap) and I pulled 220 pounds of weights out of the car.

Marty
Old Mar 16, 2013, 03:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Galant VR-4 #34
Weekend did not get off to a good start, in practice with year old race tires and not pushing hard we ran a 35.9 which was just under the T2 track record. But with the new rules I'm shooting for 33s. So in quals this morning it was very cold-in the high 30s and on the opening qual lap I didn't warm up my new big brakes enough and was able to barely slow for T1, went into a drift up the hill but the tires were just too cold and I touched the wall outside of T3. We are getting the car ready for the race tomorrow bit I didn't get a chance to get a qual time so I will be starting from the back of the pack. A corvette is on the pole with a 33 and change. He is about 12 cars up from me so it won't be easy to catch him, lets hope for a great start and lots of traffic! There will also be a race on Sunday

Also, the Evo X brakes worked great om the IX (other than my mishap) and I pulled 220 pounds of weights out of the car.

Marty
Best of luck to you my friend

Quick Reply: SCCA race car update due to rules changes