Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Can cop give me ticket for loud exhaust without decibel meter?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2010, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can cop give me ticket for loud exhaust without decibel meter?

So while driving home from NYC this weekend, I was detoured off I-70 into a little town in West Virginia at 4am. I was pacing behind a cop, who I kept my distance from. He turned right, at the same light that I had to turn right at to get back onto the highway. As soon as he turned right, he pulled over and waited for me. I passed as slow as I could, in 3rd gear, trying to be as quiet as possible, but as soon as I passed him, he flipped his lights on and pulled me over.
He stated I was being pulled over for loud exhaust and asked for all of my paperwork, which I had, and gave to him. He then came back with a citation, and told me that I could call to pay the ticket unless i wanted to come back to fight it in court. His last words were, "I can barely hear you right now, it's so loud", which I kind of chuckled when I was actually pissed.
I look over the ticket, and realize that he simply wrote loud exhaust, as a local municipal ordinance violation, but he took no reading with a decibel meter, he simply pulled me over while I was forced through this **** hole town.

Now I understand that there are laws, but there are also standards by which to govern these laws. A cop doesn't give a tint ticket without measuring your tint. A cop can't sit idle and watch you pass by and give a ticket because it looked like you were speeding. And in my opinion, a cop can't give a loud exhaust ticket just because in his opinion it was too loud. I have a 2006 vehicle, I bought it with that exhaust, it has a muffler (though aftermarket), and as far as he knows, I have a catalytic converter too.

I want to call the court tomorrow and attempt to have this charge dropped without driving 300 miles to appear in court. Is there any advice or knowledge anyone can give me to help give weight to my case?

holla
Old Mar 29, 2010, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by boostincincy
A cop can't sit idle and watch you pass by and give a ticket because it looked like you were speeding.

I want to call the court tomorrow and attempt to have this charge dropped without driving 300 miles to appear in court. Is there any advice or knowledge anyone can give me to help give weight to my case?
Yes, he can give a ticket if it looks like you were speeding. They are trained at estimating speeds, and the ticket would therefore say excessive speeding, not a given mph..but that is off topic.

Call tomorrow and say you were issued a citation for that without a decibel reading test given and see what they say. Your argument is that, in his opinion, the car was loud, but it was not proven mechanically. Do not mention you have an aftermarket exhaust unless specifically asked. Just say the car is unmodified. GL.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Its kinda your word against his as it is now, since neither of you have proof that it is or isn't too loud...I don't think the court will just drop the charges because you tell them he didn't have a decibel meter, the courts will most likely go with the Cop unless you have proof that says otherwise. Sorry to hear about your situation though. I say give it a shot and call up the court.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i got a ticket here in Vegas for riding loud i was going a bit fast too lol. i wonder how the Harley boys or domestic cars get away with it hhmm
Old Mar 29, 2010, 09:36 PM

Here in WV they can give you a ticket for loud exhaust if they feel like it. They can write the ticket as excessive noise and those tickets are real and are up to the judgement of the cop. If he really felt like it he could have given you a fix it ticket to get the exhaust fixed because it was too loud in his opinion.

The easiest way of getting it dropped is by having the officer drop it before court.Either way GL with this ticket...I have dealt with them before and lost.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Save yourself the time of calling and dealing with them and just pay it and move on.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

You are screwed if you got a fartcan you get pulled over why i got me one of these
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...pe-back-2.html

no fartcan equals alot less attention also i ran no exhaust just downpipe for 2 months in rockford passed over 100 cops never a ticket put my fartcan hks on and boom pulled over followed around like im dealing drugs not speeding or nothing. in il any aftermarket exhaust or to the cop fartcan you can get a ticket. if you got a friend at an exhaust shop have them print you a reciept for fixing your exhaust show it to the judge and you will be good to roll haha i know its bad but i feel your pain and why not
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

I would Fight it for sure, even if it cost more money. Its ridiculious put a cat on it so everything is stright away legal then drive it to the court house and prove there is nothing "excessive" about your cars noise. Then argue that you could sit outside (anywhere really) for a couple hours and see harleys and mustangs driving by that might be twice as loud. Trust me I use to be on the other side of things when I had a 98 cobra then My built 5.0, I could rev at cops and they would wave but with my evo it seems like a hole different perspective, its crap, Fight it lol.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

edit: wrong thread
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

i dont think this would be a hard ticket to get dismissed seeing how the only proof is the officers opinion...kind of like when i got a "yellow" light ticket mailed to me in the mail i went to court for it and said i wasnt the one driving my car at that time and since they didnt have proof or a picture of me driving i got the ticket dismissed
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would just pay the ticket and be on my way. It is your word against his and most of the time they will take the cops side obviously. I got a ticket for "audible noise device on exhaust system" which in NJ police terms i guess is loud exhaust. After talking to a few cop friends they just said pay it and forget about it. Its only a problem if the same guy gets you again but the chances of you seeing this cop again is slim to none.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

in new york, anything louder than the stock exhaust they can nail you for a ticket. only way to fight and with the ticket is if you have documentation that the exhaust conforms to oem standards for sound. So pretty much your better off just paying the ticket. I tried to fight one before and when i showed up to court to fight it the cop went and wrote me another ticket for smoke from the exhaust and dated it for the orginal date of 3 months prior. And the judge said it was legal.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

damn that's cold...well I'm gonna call today and see where it gets me, but I can't really justify driving 300 miles to some small time court room to fight some redneck cop.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

Hot Rods and Harleys are way louder and they don't get sh#t for it. Even some old a$$ Beaters with no mufflers are way louder and they still don't get pull over that stuff. I just don't get it. Cops =
Originally Posted by twabtoxer
i got a ticket here in Vegas for riding loud i was going a bit fast too lol. i wonder how the Harley boys or domestic cars get away with it hhmm
Old Mar 30, 2010, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, do a search on this forum, there are many people have gotten the loud exhaust ticket. I know two close friends got loud exhaust tickets b4.

Quick Reply: Can cop give me ticket for loud exhaust without decibel meter?