Notices

4WD System Info

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2013, 07:31 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
4WD System Info

Available On-Demand Electronically-Controlled 4WD System
A sophisticated electronically-controlled 4WD system is also available for the SE version of the Outlander Sport that greatly enhances both on-and off-road traction in good or bad weather conditions.

Mitsubishi is recognized as a world leader in the development of all-wheel drive systems, thanks to its years of successful, multi-championship-winning years of competition in the highly-competitive World Rally Championship, where high-tech production car-based racing machines travel at high speed on a variety of surfaces including asphalt, sand, gravel and on snow-covered roads.

Unlike Mitsubishi's remarkable Super All-Wheel Control (S-AWC) 4WD system found in the company's famed Lancer Evolution model that utilizes such exotic technology as active differentials and active yaw control for extreme high performance, the on-demand electronically-controlled 4WD found on the new Outlander Sport emphasizes fuel efficiency while giving the driver the option to switch to traction-enhancing all-wheel drive at their discretion.

Borrowed from the larger outlander SUV, the 4WD system consists of a rear differential carrier, and electronically controlled coupling (ECC) connected to the forward section of the rear differential and a power transfer unit (PTU) mated to the transmission near the front axle. These components have been designed to be exceptionally lightweight yet sturdy for the rugged terrain and conditions that the vehicle may encounter. And thanks to a low viscosity oil used in the power transfer unit (PTU), this helps to improve fuel economy by 0.1 percent compared to the Outlander.

A major design upgrade over the Outlander's 4WD system has been a recalibration of the systems control unit that has led to a variety of improvements including enhanced fuel economy, stability in 4WD mode, improved traction and steering feel when accelerating from a standstill, and an overall reduction in noise, vibration and harshness (NVH).

The system has three shift-on-the-flying settings:

2WD Setting most likely to be used for normal everyday driving; allows the Outlander Sport to operate as a front-wheel drive vehicle.

4WD Delivers power to all four wheels for improved traction and safety in slippery driving conditions

LOCK Like the 4WD setting, it routes power to all four wheels but it distributes 60 percent of the available power to the rear wheels for sportier handling.
All New 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Offers A Composed Ride, Along With Surprising Agility

Note: This information is listed for the 2011 model year. I make no guarantees that it carries over to newer models.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
A sophisticated electronically-controlled 4WD system is also available for the SE version of the Outlander Sport that greatly enhances both on-and off-road traction in good or bad weather conditions.

Mitsubishi is recognized as a world leader in the development of all-wheel drive systems, thanks to its years of successful, multi-championship-winning years of competition in the highly-competitive World Rally Championship, where high-tech production car-based racing machines travel at high speed on a variety of surfaces including asphalt, sand, gravel and on snow-covered roads.

Unlike Mitsubishi's remarkable Super All-Wheel Control (S-AWC) 4WD system found in the company's famed Lancer Evolution model that utilizes such exotic technology as active differentials and active yaw control for extreme high performance, the on-demand electronically-controlled 4WD found on the new Outlander Sport emphasizes fuel efficiency while giving the driver the option to switch to traction-enhancing all-wheel drive at their discretion.

Borrowed from the larger outlander SUV, the 4WD system consists of a rear differential carrier, and electronically controlled coupling (ECC) connected to the forward section of the rear differential and a power transfer unit (PTU) mated to the transmission near the front axle. These components have been designed to be exceptionally lightweight yet sturdy for the rugged terrain and conditions that the vehicle may encounter. And thanks to a low viscosity oil used in the power transfer unit (PTU), this helps to improve fuel economy by 0.1 percent compared to the Outlander.

A major design upgrade over the Outlander's 4WD system has been a recalibration of the systems control unit that has led to a variety of improvements including enhanced fuel economy, stability in 4WD mode, improved traction and steering feel when accelerating from a standstill, and an overall reduction in noise, vibration and harshness (NVH).

2WD Setting most likely to be used for normal everyday driving; allows the Outlander Sport to operate as a front-wheel drive vehicle.

4WD Delivers power to all four wheels for improved traction and safety in slippery driving conditions

LOCK Like the 4WD setting, it routes power to all four wheels but it distributes 60 percent of the available power to the rear wheels for sportier handling.
Helpful information!

I want to add to this and say that the 60% power (to the rear) is not binary - it's Variable. I believe I read that the power can go from as low as 10% up to 60% depending on road conditions.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 06:43 PM
EvoM Moderator

Source: http://media.mitsubishicars.com/rele...1-34d64b06fc3d

All-Wheel Control with Advanced 4-Wheel Drive

The 2007 Outlander gives the driver a choice among vehicle drive modes. Standard front-wheel drive is augmented by the Active Skid and Traction Control (ASTC) system, which includes traction control for better grip on slippery surfaces.
With the optional 4-wheel drive system, the driver uses a drive-mode dial on the center console to select "FWD" for best fuel economy; with "4WD Auto" mode selected, the system uses a rear-mounted electronically controlled transfer clutch to automatically and seamlessly route more power to the rear wheels, depending on driving and road surface conditions. The driver can freely change the drive mode at any time.

Two 4WD Modes
When "4WD Auto" mode is selected, the Outlander 4WD system always sends some power to the rear wheels, automatically increasing the amount under full-throttle acceleration. The coupling transfers up to 40 percent of available torque to the rear wheels under full-throttle acceleration, and this is reduced to 25 percent over 40 mph. At steady cruising speeds, up to 15 percent of available torque is sent to the rear wheels. At low speeds through tight corners, coupling torque is reduced, providing a smoother feel through the corner.

For driving in particularly challenging conditions, such as snow, the driver can select "4WD Lock" mode. In Lock mode, the system still apportions front and rear torque automatically, but enables greater power transfer to the rear wheels. For example, when accelerating on an upgrade, the coupling will transfer more torque to the rear wheels immediately, helping to ensure that all four wheels get traction. In contrast, an automatic on-demand part-time system would allow front wheel slippage before transferring power, which could hamper acceleration.

In dry conditions, 4WD Lock mode places priority on performance. More torque is directed to the rear wheels than in 4WD Auto mode to provide greater power off the line, better control when accelerating on snowy or loose surfaces, and enhanced stability at high speeds. Rear wheel torque transfer is increased by 50 percent over the amounts in 4WD Auto mode - meaning up to 60 percent of available torque is sent to the rear wheels under full-throttle acceleration on dry pavement. When in 4WD Lock mode, torque at the rear wheels is reduced by a smaller degree through corners than with 4WD Auto mode.

Drive Mode Overview of Control Benefit
2WD Distributes all torque to front wheels Best fuel economy
4WD Auto Distributes variable torque to rear wheels depending on accelerator pedal position and front-to-rear wheel speed difference Delivers the optimal amount of torque for driving conditions
4WD Lock Delivers 1.5 times more torque to the rear wheels than 4WD mode Increases off-the-line traction; provides greater high-speed stability and best performance on rough or slippery surfaces.
How the Electronic Coupling Works

Coupling torque is computed using a combination of feed-forward control, which operates in response to accelerator pedal action, and feedback control, which monitors the speed of the four wheels and computes any difference between front and rear wheel rotation speeds. Information on accelerator pedal position and vehicle speed is received via the CAN bus. The system interprets driving conditions and driver input and delivers the right amount of torque to the rear wheels. Current passes through a magneto, generating magnetic force that engages a pilot clutch. In response to this force, the ball in the cam mechanism bites in and generates thrust. The force of this thrust pushes the main clutch and torque is transferred to the rear wheels.

The aluminum transfer coupling is located near the rear differential for optimal weight distribution. At 39.2 lbs., the coupling is 16.8 lbs. lighter than the previous Outlander's transfer case - a significant weight reduction in a strategic location. A new three-point differential mounting system with reduced gear offset between the propeller shaft and the coupling helps to reduce friction, noise and vibration and also contribute to better fuel economy.

I know it's from the 2007 model year, but probability says that it's the same or very similar. So yes, you would be correct, it's still variable,

Last edited by Burtonrider1002; Sep 8, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for bringing back an older post but I am still going through all of them and if I see anywhere I can add something useful I will

Here is a link to mitsubishi motors describing the electronic 4wd. It describes the percentage split depending on condition/mode.

Dry surface from what I gather is 4wd Auto and snow covered is 4wd Lock given some of the descriptions I have read.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/...brary/4wd.html

Cheers
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:00 AM
EvoM Moderator

No harm in bringing up older threads to add relevant info. In fact, I encourage it lol.

That's a nice page, too. I've looked through a lot of the info on that site before, but didn't see the 4WD info.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This type of system goes by many names, from 4Matic or 4Motion or X-Drive to Haldex, depending on whether you name it by what car it's in or by who actually makes the unit. They all use a clutch of some sort to connect/disconnect one axle from the transmission, in this case the rear appears to be on the clutch (so I'd called it a "front-default Haldex").

As mentioned above, a Haldex doesn't have a fixed torque split. At any given moment, in fact, depending on grip at each end of the car, the torque distribution can be anything from 0/100 to 100/0. The percents that are given, to the extent that they have any real meaning, refer to the percent of the maximum torque that can be sent to the rear. So, if this one tops out at 60%, that means flooring in on a high-grip surface will produce a torque distribution of about 40/60. In other words, if the engine can make 300 foot-pounds, the clutch is only capable of holding about 180 foot-pounds.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:13 AM

If I am to understand this correctly, "4WD Lock" is the "most sporty" operating mode of the 4wd system? So if you want to fly around some country roads, that is the mode you should be in? I always thought this mode was strictly for snow and off-road. For some reason I was also under the impression the vehicle turns 4WD lock off if you exceed a certain speed, is that not true? Finally, I assumed 4WD lock was some how "harder" on the 4wd system, is that also not correct?

Thanks for clearing up my possible misconceptions
Old Feb 6, 2014, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by wilsgrant
If I am to understand this correctly, "4WD Lock" is the "most sporty" operating mode of the 4wd system? So if you want to fly around some country roads, that is the mode you should be in? I always thought this mode was strictly for snow and off-road. For some reason I was also under the impression the vehicle turns 4WD lock off if you exceed a certain speed, is that not true? Finally, I assumed 4WD lock was some how "harder" on the 4wd system, is that also not correct?

Thanks for clearing up my possible misconceptions
With our AWC, if you select LOCK it will stay on LOCK. The faster you go(without slippage) the less power goes to the rear wheels. If you look at the image in the link, it will tell you at which speed and what percentage. Not sure if using it on dry ground when its not needed will do any harm, you will use more fuel anyway. I am not sure Mitsubishi intended for it to be used on dry ground. You might be better off in 4WD auto if its dry. Anyone else?

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/...brary/4wd.html

Last edited by chilu00000000; Feb 6, 2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

You really need to be careful about taking non-technical descriptions of these things too seriously. Many make claims about torque split, for example, that are simply untrue. I've seen things that say that the ACD in a Mitsu Evo or Scooby STi has the ability to alter torque split between X and Y, which is nonsense. Native torque split is native torque split, and nothing will change it. What changes is the torque distribution and that is only partly controlled by the ACD.

The same goes (maybe even more) for Haldex systems. While in this case I don't see anything that is demonstrably wrong, it sure could give readers the wrong impression. The torque distribution is closer to 50/50 at low speeds as a consequence of clutch clamping and total torque being used to maintain speed, not because the clutch is necessarily being clamped more or less at different speeds. If you suddenly encountered a serious tail-wind, for example, such that the total torque required to maintain a high speed dropped to being the same as required to maintain a low speed, the torque distribution would suddenly drop back closer to 50/50, as well.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 05:46 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always thought LOCK = AWD ALWAYS ON
4WD = Auto, only on when slippage is detected
2WD = Only 2WD

Personally, I ONLY put it in LOCK when I'm on all snow where there is a chance of getting stuck and/or the split second it takes for AWD to come on when slippage is detected will make my performance unpredictable. I use 4WD when I know there will be sections of snow I need to drive over.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wesley Eng
2WD = Only 2WD
I don't believe that this is correct. In both Lock and 4WD the clutch is clamping a little at all times, so it's at least a bit AWD, but Lock uses more clamping force. The only thing I'm not sure of is whether (or how much) the clutch opens when you steer in Lock mode.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 06:12 PM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by Wesley Eng
2WD = Only 2WD

Personally, I ONLY put it in LOCK when I'm on all snow where there is a chance of getting stuck and/or the split second it takes for AWD to come on when slippage is detected will make my performance unpredictable. I use 4WD when I know there will be sections of snow I need to drive over.
Originally Posted by Iowa999
I don't believe that this is correct. In both Lock and 4WD the clutch is clamping a little at all times, so it's at least a bit AWD, but Lock uses more clamping force. The only thing I'm not sure of is whether (or how much) the clutch opens when you steer in Lock mode.

Gentlemen, if I could direct you to the original post in this thread:

4WD = AUTO

When in AUTO, it is FWD biased with only a small amount of HP/TQ sent to the rear at all times, and more on demand.

This is why you will notice a slight decline in fuel economy when in AUTO.

As for adverse weather conditions, AUTO is great for 80% of the snow I've used it in, and probably would have been sufficient for the remaining 20%, but I was quite happy to have the dedicated LOCK setting in those situations.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, but if you read one thing I wrote earlier, those descriptions are often inaccurate. For example, the only way for the system to consistently send 60% of the torque to the rear in Lock mode is for the clutch to lock completely and (somehow) there's a center diff that is a 40/60 planetary. Since we can be pretty such that there isn't a 40/60 center diff (since you can't have a conventional center diff in a car with a Haldex), we can be pretty sure that that blurb is wrong. And if one part is wrong....
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Given what the manual says below, the clutch doesn't open a lot or at all.

From my Manual:

"Turning sharp corners
When turning a sharp corner in “4WD LOCK” position at low speed, a slight difference in steering may be experienced similar to as if the brakes were applied. This is called tight corner braking and results from each of the 4 tires being at a different distance from the corner. The phenomenon is typical of 4-wheel drive vehicles. If this occurs, either straighten out the steering wheel, or change to “2WD” or “4WD AUTO” mode. "
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:06 AM

All i know is that in Lock with alot of snow, I had alot of fun

Back end comes out quiet nicely. My rwd friends were surprised.

Quick Reply: 4WD System Info