Notices

Transmission failure..

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2016, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission failure..

Haven't been in here for a while, since my transmission studder issue.

Anyway, our transmission finally went out and will be replaced under warrenty. Service tech said that there was another O.sport in the shop for the same reason. Two failed trannys in one week. Little over 34k on the clock.

It's wouldn't hold RPM's while on cruise or even if the throttle was held steady by my foot. It would also fail to take off from a stop and then lunge one it caught a "gear".

It's never been as smooth as others have stated on here that their O.sport tranny is so hopefully that changes with the new transmission.
Old May 7, 2016, 06:29 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Yikes. I'm just shy of 78k miles, and thus creeping up on my powertrain warranty limit, I really, really hope yours was an isolated case.

Two from the same dealership could have been from a bad shipment?
Old May 7, 2016, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Geez, that sucks! But at least warranty covers it. I cannot imagine what it would cost to repair outside of warranty.
Old May 7, 2016, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Luckily warranty covers it, so besides the trouble no harm is done. You may come out even better from this situation. If it is a 2.0L then the 2015 models have a different transmission than the earlier model years. I wonder if you could request to get the older design as a replacement. I would try. Good luck!
Old May 7, 2016, 11:00 PM

The parts manager said it was to the tune of 6k but I find that pretty high.
Old May 7, 2016, 11:51 PM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by Hamsamich
The parts manager said it was to the tune of 6k but I find that pretty high.
FWD or AWD?

Because the transaxle alone is ridiculously expensive

Transmission failure..-kci5wo8.png

Last edited by Burtonrider1002; May 8, 2016 at 12:00 AM.
Old May 8, 2016, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

If the metrics are correct based on my recent parts experience you would be looking at almost 15K in Canada! BTW, I know a fellow who replaced a Jatco CVT in a Nissan - 8K US.
Old May 9, 2016, 06:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a CVT in my Nissan Murano, it's a 2003 so the first gen which saw a lot of CVT failures. A lot of guys were having failures shortly after changing the CVT fluid. I've never changed mine in 13 years as a result, CVT is still perfect. It would be interesting to see if this is the same with the OS as I believe the 2 use the same original CVT fluid.

The Murano guys were paying in the $4K-$5K range, so I would find it hard to believe the OS would be any more. Nissan did eventually up the warranty of the CVT to 10yr/100K(miles) after many complaints and refunded those who already paid out and then subsequently were grandfathered in to the new warranty.
Old May 9, 2016, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by burtonrider1002
fwd or awd?

Because the transaxle alone is ridiculously expensive

fwd.
Old May 9, 2016, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlkRVR5spd
I have a CVT in my Nissan Murano, it's a 2003 so the first gen which saw a lot of CVT failures. A lot of guys were having failures shortly after changing the CVT fluid. I've never changed mine in 13 years as a result, CVT is still perfect. It would be interesting to see if this is the same with the OS as I believe the 2 use the same original CVT fluid.

The Murano guys were paying in the $4K-$5K range, so I would find it hard to believe the OS would be any more. Nissan did eventually up the warranty of the CVT to 10yr/100K(miles) after many complaints and refunded those who already paid out and then subsequently were grandfathered in to the new warranty.
Nissans CVTs are still POS. Ask on any Pathfinder or Infiniti forum. Loads of failures and no extension to the warranty - yet.
Old May 12, 2016, 06:21 PM

Just called the dealership for an update, transmission arrived today so hopefully Monday... But that's not the thing that peaked my interest.

He said "according to our rep, this is the tip of the iceberg.. Looks like we're gonna be replacing quite a few of these in the near future"

I asked what the thought it was or why they will be replacing so many.
He said "they wouldn't tell me, all they would say is that it's something on the inside"

So get ready everyone, if your tranny is doing ANYTHING weird I would take it in, especially if your near your warranty limit.
Old May 13, 2016, 07:47 AM

Well that's not good at all.

I'm at 33K on my 2015 and I just had the transmission computer update done. It seemed to fix things for a while but now I'm noticing weird jumps etc. when I start to accelerate.

I have a feeling I will be in the same situation as you soon.
Old May 13, 2016, 07:49 AM

Also, if you can post everything that was done to fix it that would be great. I would love to take that information into my next service.
Old May 14, 2016, 09:12 AM

do you have the 2.0 or 2.4? awc or fwd ?
Old May 14, 2016, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
He has 2.0 fwd

Quick Reply: Transmission failure..