Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

"Darwin" build - Take 2

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Darwin" build - Take 2

NOW LADY DARWIN BUILD 1,2,4 & 4!!!!! latest updates on the car 6/28 SPOILER*PTE6466* cough cough !!! and trust me the new set up is worth the look!! (page 3) !!!

well, car is getting rebuild yet again ... figured id share the build on here

off the lot:
Air Filter, WB 255, AMS TBE - ran 12.8@101

mods round 1:
K&N intake, 720cc injectors
re-tune - ran 12.6@105

This set up ended due to me being a total dumb *** and doing donuts on a super empty gas tank, leaned out, and detonated cyl 4.. enter engine build 1:

Manley 85.5mm 9.5:1 Flat Top Pistons
Manley H Beam Connecting
ACL Tri-metal bearings
ARP Head Stud Kit
Cometic MLS Head Gasket
Clutch Masters FX300
Clutch Kit Clutch Masters Steel Flywheel GrimmSpeed 3 port EBC
DeatschWerks1000cc Injectors
NGK Cooper Plugs
Gates Timing & Balance Shaft Belt
Gates Serpentine Belt
GSC S2 Cams
GSC Beehive Valve Springs
GReddy bov
Tein S. Tech Springs
Whiteline 24mm Rear sway
GReddy urbo Timer
Whiteline endlinks
Injen Intercooler Piping
Bushcur FMIC
Stoptech Evo 8 & 9 Stainless Steel Front Brake lines Stoptech Evo 8 & 9 Stainless Steel Rear Brake Lines TS Shifter cable/ base bushings
TS drive shaft bushings
custom rear diff bushings
5 angle valve job

With the set up at the point i got tuned on E85 and made about 410whp/ 410tq... i wasnt able to track the car due to my 6 speed trans not being able to take the tq increase and it got destroyed along with the brand new clutch ...

so Engine build 1.2 lol:

5-speed swap
act 6 puck

this clutch didnt last very long due to it being a used clutch and a very temp solution

so now build 1.3:

Exedy Triple Disk
rear diff mod
COP Kit
MAP o2 dump
2-piece drive shaft
Megan Racing Coilovers
retune

car put down 420whp/430tq.. this was on the the stock Evo 8 turbo car ran 11.5@122 1.7 60ft on all season tires haha

this set up lasted for quite some time .. and then about 2 months ago, i had some lady drive right into my car as she tried to cut across 5 lanes of traffic .. that had the car in the shop for about 6 weeks.. i then decided to up the cars level and make some big power ...

Build 1.4

Mishimoto Radiator
2150cc inj
E85 walbro 400
FP Black
ported intake Mani
S2 68mm Throttle body
AMS FMIC
Dejon 4in intake
Perrin BOV

This build was tuned and set up ... I made 525whp/437 tq on 27 PSI... I made such little power due the stock fuel rail, stock FPR and the fuel pump being too restrictive this set up was by far my favorite .. such a freaking blast ... but after being tuned I was on my way home and was passing a truck and it kicked a piece of metal under the car, tore into the oil pan and destroyed the motor ... and now the new build that is soon to be started ...

Engine Build 2 - In Progress

JE 10:1 pistons
Manley Turbo Tough Rods
ACL Tri-Metal bearings
AEM fuel rail
STM oil cooler
STM FPR kit
TS Motor mounts
Hawk Ceramic pads
Power Slot Rotors
Quaife Diff for T-Case

The car is being built and finished up here in TX, so ill prob be down in FL for a little bit and then come back up to TX and pick up the car, break in the motor, and then get her re-tuned and then cruise it down to FL once she is all set ... the goal for the FP Black has been about 615whp and 525 tq and run low 10s on my all season tires.

Last edited by Mid_Evo; Jun 29, 2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

few more pics from build 1.4

Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:57 PM
Evolving Member

ok guys, here are some pics of the damage to the motor and reason the build round 2

Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:02 AM
Evolving Member

NEW PARTS!!!!!!!!! everything i need to get the new block back together .. and that will be here tuesday... and itll prob be together same and back in the car ... then its just a few more misc. parts end of next week looks good for having the car back!!!!!!!!!!

This is a comparison of the Manley H-Beam that just came out VS the new Manley TurboTuff that is about to go in [IMG]https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/all-mitsubishi-model-build-threads/ HUGE difference .. those jokers better never break lmao

Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good luck
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

WOW. Great build

Cant believe you went through so much with it in short period of time. I hope insurance is taking care of last build.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking great,! Those parts also look delicious.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

haha thanks guys, I had some good guidance when it came to this build and I was a lot more honest with myself on my future power goals lol, so did what I needed to do with certain parts and yea i love the look of the new parts so sexy and beefy .. cant wait to get it back and get the retune for the big...bigger power haha
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:14 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Did the metal from the truck do all that damage itself, or did you just keep driving after hitting it? Is insurance paying for the rebuild?

Sorry for you loss man, undertray FTW? Even an aluminum one might not have helped much but maybe saved the motor with a quick key-off.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

yea .. the best guesses are that the metal or part of it ... went up into the motor and just laid waste .. and yes i got lucky and insure is covering it ... i wont lie .. i get paranoid around trucks and dont baby it by them .. so she was under a good load and every thing was pretty instant ..motor shut down and it was all she wrote .. and no joke i am deff going to be looking for an under tray ... maybe a nice one that adds some down force lol
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Ok so time for an update ... got the shortblock in about 2 weeks ago, we tore it down at the shop... popped the oil pan off... went to rotate the crank to start pulling the rods off ....as soon as the crank moved one of the rods went clink against the crank :/ ...so well knew one bearing was dond ....so after all the rods came off and the crank came out ...we looked in horror as we found ALL 4 ROD AND MAIN BEARINGS HAD BEEN TRASHED!!!!! ... engine had been oil starved and wore them all down to the copper ... needles to say... had to buy a new crank ..so that shouhd be here mon or tues and with a little luck the car will be driving by the end of the week! !!

Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

update on the car ... the new crank came in last thursday we started putting the bottom end together and go figure another snag... i was sent stroker rods that were 6mm too long, causing the pistons to stick up out of the block... (funny cuz i ran into the same issue with the 1st motor build haha) ...

so had to send them back but had to wait till tuesday after the holiday ...

so tuesday rolls around and my builder calls me and says "hey, what do you think about doing a 2.0Long Rod" ... i reply with .. "Yup i love it .. do it" .. so the JE pistons are removed and new Wiseco 1400 HD stroker pistons are ordered instead of gettin new rods so now i have 2.0L crank(88mm) 2.4L rods(156mm) and 2.3L pistons (-6mm pin) so the stroker piston moves the pin spot up 6mm closer to the top of the piston and compensates for the 6mm longer rod. in doing the stroker piston i had to sacrifice going high compression, but ill make it back up in motor strength, high RPMs, and Tq

Old Sep 7, 2012, 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

lol, keep on truckn man. I have been there along with a bunch others. stuff happens.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

this is like $20G spent. uhhh.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

GO ALL OUT F' it.. its insurance money anyway.. you already paid deductible.. just make sure they dont see this thread haha

Quick Reply: "Darwin" build - Take 2