Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Dear Evo, We will go fast

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2015, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So this ended at kind of a weird time haha, but as always things continue on...

The car ended up at another track even in early April, and i ended up loosing the clutch which after being in the car 2.5 years, wasnt too worried, and it was a great time to get ride of that turbo

After some serious evaluation i decided the s476 was not a turbo i wanted, i was very displeased with the power band, and how lazy and un eventful it was on the street, and since its not a dedicated drag car, I just wasnt happy.

So as shes been down and ive been planning the direction of the car yet again, ive finally landed on it .. just a fun street car, all it needs to be all i want it to be, im tired of the BS and i just want to be able to play with my toy haha

A few weeks ago i was talking to my buddy, and he mentioned Borg Warner coming out with a new line of turbos, ones designed for racing, the new S300 SX-E series, these are the same frame the s366 use but with a totally new turbine and compressor housing along with new wheels, and after looking at the specs and having data to go off with a turbo that was "too big" haha i said screw it, lets give this a shot

So I ended up getting the new S369SX-E its a 69/74, in a T4TS and i went with a .91A/R over the previous 1.00

and then the fun starts, in goes the clutch and a few other odds and ends, and then the goodies arrive

its been running since Friday(7/17) and has just been awesome.. so much better, car feels like a new animal, spools super well, sounds greats, makes wonderful tq, and overall very wonderful boost and power characteristics, shes still on a base tune, and so far im just loving it. !! here is a VD on 32psi, 13* timing, and way way rich AFRS, which just means there is a ton of room for more haha, and after i fix a few more smaller issues, such a a t-case leak, and replacing m CDI box that decided to tell me the screw off, ill get her to the dyno and get some real numbers, but i was curious to see what the power band looked like so using the tool i had here is the VD (I know how un reliable any dyno can be, again just wanted to see the power band)

and before anyone says anything about the car weight lol... its weights 3400 with me in it with zero crap in the trunk and 1/4 tank this was done with that plus another person, a ton of tools and various crap in the trunk, and a full tank, so an extra 300 seemed fair

Old Jul 20, 2015, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

took the old girl out for some weekend fun, a few car meets and played with it a bit more over the weekend, got a few things straight on it and turned up the boost some 38 psi still super rich

again just using VD for and idea of what the power band.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice man, glad to see she's up & running again!
Old Jul 21, 2015, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
Nice man, glad to see she's up & running again!

Thanks brother! i just need her to stay running this time for a while longer and ill be happy haha
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Its cool to see you testing out these Borgwarner Turbos. Most builds stick with Precision turbos.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 04:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by deylag
Its cool to see you testing out these Borgwarner Turbos. Most builds stick with Precision turbos.
That's a big reason why I wanted to mess with these BW's haha, wanted to do something different.

I liked my 6466, but something about BW has always appealed to me, being super reliable, sounding amazing, and very well priced is a huge help with that haha
Old Jul 24, 2015, 01:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by way2qik
General rule of thumb here is that unless you are planning to run over 50lbs of boost, the larger turbos like a 7175, 7475, 7675 have ZERO advantage over a turbo like a 6466 or even a 6766.

Once you make 50+ lbs of boost, the larger turbos will power away from those smaller ones. But, then you run into all kinds of issues with keeping the cylinder head sealed up. Our motors do not have enough bolt-holes per cylinder for running really high boost pressures, IMO. Even using the good h-11 studs isn't going to last at consistent 50+lbs. The only real solution at 55, 60, 65lbs (where the larger turbos shine) is to go with 1/2 inch head studs, like what Boostin' Performance sells.

http://shop.boostinperformance.com/p...t-headstud.htm

Also, I asked you about the final drive because the 4.56 does not load the car hard enough in the lower gears to get the turbo lit. If you have the 4.56 you won't hardly make any boost in first gear by the time you get to 9500rpm. Trust me, I've been down this road. You need the 4.11 to get it going in the lower gears.
This is a moment of "I told ya so." LOL!
Old Jul 24, 2015, 02:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by way2qik
This is a moment of "I told ya so." LOL!
Haha, it's not like I didn't do the research on the set up, and why I planned on running 60+psi.

I just maxed out the fuel system and was at a cross roads, on what I wanted to do and decided and smaller more street friendly turbo was what I wanted.

But the 76 did make 35-40 psi in 1st and 2nd, way too high in the Rev range for it to be any fun, and getting the whole set-up straight to work perfectly for the track only was not something I wanted for a street car. I got a bit carried away and over zealous on what I thought would be fun, realized it's not what I wanted and went back to something a lot more entertaining.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mid_Evo
But the 76 did make 35-40 psi in 1st...
Sorry, I don't believe this. Show me a log of first gear and 40psi and I'll be a believer. But, I know better.

Anyway, I'm glad you have something that's more street friendly and enjoyable. Have fun with it.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can definitely 300lbs no problem, nice build
Old Jul 30, 2015, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eovl
you can definitely 300lbs no problem, nice build
Thanks bro!!!!
Old Aug 2, 2015, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another nice build.. Seen your videos on youtube before finding your thread. Good ****!!
Old Aug 20, 2015, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just saw a little Hellcat action, looks like she's rolling out pretty well sir!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 04:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by slamsohard
Another nice build.. Seen your videos on youtube before finding your thread. Good ****!!

Haha thanks man!! Such a fun fun car ... why not share it haha
Old Aug 28, 2015, 04:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
Just saw a little Hellcat action, looks like she's rolling out pretty well sir!
YYYESSSSSSS !!! That run was a blast.... deff need some more seat time

But i did run a turbo civic

Built/sleeved motor
6262 @17 psi
E85
Gutted etc

And that was a sick run haha
Esp the 2nd time around. I have them on unlisted but Ill make them public soon ...just one of the sickest sounding vids ever

Quick Reply: Dear Evo, We will go fast