Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

FP Black 500 or bust pump gas Evo 8 build

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2015, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FP Black 500 or bust pump gas Evo 8 build

A little background..

I bought the car in August of 2009, and drove it the way I got it. Only fixing minor things like replacing the stock plastic leaking DV and throwing some T-bolt clamps on it.

By the beginning of 2011 after my first Deployment I had the car payed off, and was ready to start modding it! And then my wife and I bought a house.

Enter begining of 2013 after my second deployment finances were starting to look better so I bought so used GSC S2's and a set of springs and retainers for safety.
After a drop my car off to get the cams installed i get a phone call saying that after they performed a compression test I had one cylinder that was out of spec. So I decided there was no better time then the present to build the motor. While funds were there for the motor build, upgrading the turbo would have to wait. I had experience in welding, fabrication, and engine building since that's what I earned my associates degree in. So I took the liberty of porting everything I could my self i.e. Intake, exhaust mani, head, turbine housing.

We ended up making 380whp on the stock 9.8 turbo

In Feb of 2013 I reenlisted and got a little bonus that I used to purchase a small bandsaw and a miller diversion 180. After that it was all downhill!

I ended up building a manifold, downpipe, O2 housing, exhaust, intercooler pipes etc.
I didn't want to pay anyone for the stuff that I was capable of producing.
Shortly after this as if a sign from the man himself an incredible deal on an used DBB FP black popped up on ebay! Well it was a sign so I had to buy it, right?

Now people might be wandering why I would settle for pump gas when E85 is the latest craze, not to mention its like 108 octane and alcohol. Well my answer is simple, there isn't a pump in Jacksonville that has it, and I'm not driving 30 minutes with 5 fuel jugs every week or two to get e85.

So ended up making about 547whp VD

2014 July I finally make it to the track without rain on the newish setup. I cut a 1.78 60' and then had lock out issues in 3rd and 4th. so with another deployment coming up I start planning on a twin to help with this burden. While on deployment my tuner, SlowPoke, suggest that I step up to the S3s in an attempt to touch 570-580whp VD. So I do as suggested, oh and coincidentally I ported a more aggressive head before I left on deployment.

So here are some pics in case you don't actually care about the entire story: results at the end!

The results speak for themselves 504 and 378 on a mustang dyno!

Specs:
Block- Shop monkey assembled 2.0L 9.5:1 Manley turbo tuff rods, Cp Pistons, GSC balance shaft eliminator, cosworth oil scraper

Head- Freer Fabrication Ported Head, GSC Valves, GSC Valve Springs and Ti retainers, Kiggly HLA

Bolt ons- full blown 70mm throttle body, FIC fuel rail, aem fuel pressure regulator, TiAL BOV, STM 4" Front Mount intercooler, Freer Fabrication Ported FP Black, Freer Fabrication stock replacement exhaust manifold, Freer Fabrication intercooler piping, Freer Fabrication 3" O2 dump, Freer Fabrication 3" aluminum exhaust, Freer Fabrication 4" SD intake, Freer Fabrication Ported Skunk2 intake manifold.

Electronics- Stock ECU running SD, Omni 4 bar, FIC 1100, Hard wired Walbro 255

Huge thank you to Chris from SlowPoke tuning and Mike from Shop Monkey! There is no way I could have done this without great friends like you guys!

Last edited by JorgeYaHeard; Feb 22, 2015 at 07:34 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Awesome job dude & thanks for your service
Old Feb 23, 2015, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Great results! I'm in the same boat, in regards to using E85. So until they get more e85 stations in the Raleigh area I'll be stuck on 93 oct. I'm also glad to see you made 500whp+ on FIC 1100s & a single Walbro. Same fuel setup I will be starting off with. Walbro modded or just hard wired? And I'm guessing it's safe to say that if you jumped to e85 your fuel setup wouldn't cut it anymore...

What psi made this power? Looks like you're hitting full boost around 4900rpms? What was the a/f ratio up top & also the IDC?

Sorry for all the questions! I think I saw Chris post the results on FB so I'm sure I could shoot him a message & ask.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
Great results! I'm in the same boat, in regards to using E85. So until they get more e85 stations in the Raleigh area I'll be stuck on 93 oct. I'm also glad to see you made 500whp+ on FIC 1100s & a single Walbro. Same fuel setup I will be starting off with. Walbro modded or just hard wired? And I'm guessing it's safe to say that if you jumped to e85 your fuel setup wouldn't cut it anymore...

What psi made this power? Looks like you're hitting full boost around 4900rpms? What was the a/f ratio up top & also the IDC?

Sorry for all the questions! I think I saw Chris post the results on FB so I'm sure I could shoot him a message & ask.
The Walbro is modded and hard wired. Yeah if I make the switch I'll be going to a bigger pump and injectors. I believe it was around 31psi. A/F was mid 11s tapering to 11 flat at the top end. Injector duty cycle dropped from 94 on previous setup (which was modded Walbro and 1100s) to 74%! Huge difference!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 05:58 PM

Incredible work!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by caliraised
Incredible work!
Thank you! It was a long time and a lot of work!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Good work buddy!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Beautiful work, man! Be proud of that!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
Good work buddy!
Thanks Freddie! I might try and switch to FPs Stainless turbine housing and build a new downpipe later this year. That should help the top end a lot on pump gas.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JorgeYaHeard
The Walbro is modded and hard wired. Yeah if I make the switch I'll be going to a bigger pump and injectors. I believe it was around 31psi. A/F was mid 11s tapering to 11 flat at the top end. Injector duty cycle dropped from 94 on previous setup (which was modded Walbro and 1100s) to 74%! Huge difference!
Thanks for the reply sir! So the IDC dropped 20% after you hard wired the walbro??

BTW, nice job on all the fab work, looks great man! I've been following your fab page on FB for a while...
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
Thanks for the reply sir! So the IDC dropped 20% after you hard wired the walbro??

BTW, nice job on all the fab work, looks great man! I've been following your fab page on FB for a while...
Thanks for the support!

I think the 20% drop is accredited to bith the hard wire and FIC fuel rail and aem pressure regulator. I think the hard wire did the most, but I'm sure the other stuff didn't hurt!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

That's a nice o2 housing how much
Old Feb 24, 2015, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rhd-jon
That would be the most expensive piece of pie ever... LOL

Freer, Congrats on the youngin, and getting back from yet another deployment buddy... I just got back from a 9 monther in November. Also just bought a second daily budget builder evo this week... needs some work, so I guess I could make a build thread for that... already ordered a bunch of replacement parts... Not going crazy as this will be my daily...

Last edited by Fast_Freddie; Feb 24, 2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
George

Time for a new pump.

Spilner
Old Mar 1, 2015, 05:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rhd-jon
I named the O2 housing PITA! So I definitely won't be giving it away when the time comes. I would say I probably have about 12+ hours of fitting and welding to get everything to fit!

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
That would be the most expensive piece of pie ever... LOL

Freer, Congrats on the youngin, and getting back from yet another deployment buddy... I just got back from a 9 monther in November. Also just bought a second daily budget builder evo this week... needs some work, so I guess I could make a build thread for that... already ordered a bunch of replacement parts... Not going crazy as this will be my daily...
Thanks brother, he's pretty cool and he doesn't even do anything yet! I bought a daily(Audi A4) last year the Evo was getting to be a pain driving to and from base!

Originally Posted by KentStateTsi
George

Time for a new pump.

Spilner
Spilner, I'll get a new pump when either I buy a bigger turbo or they put an E85 pump by my house!

Quick Reply: FP Black 500 or bust pump gas Evo 8 build