Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

INSTALLED: Evo IX SpoolinUp COP & Denso IKH24 plugs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2010, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
INSTALLED: Evo IX SpoolinUp COP & Denso IKH24 plugs

First of all I will start by mentioning my car has 46k miles on it with untouched stock NGK spark plugs and have never once given me any ignition problems or misfires.

Yesterday I removed the stock coil/boots/wires and installed the SpoolinUp COP setup (used coil version) retaining the stock spark plugs (untouched, never removed) to see if there would be a noticeable difference. I will note that my coils/boots/wires came out of my car appearing to be in perfect condition with no noticeable wear or discoloring of any sort.

This thing obviously looks amazing in the engine bay, the only thing I'm not impressed with is how the one coil plug touches the o2 sensor plug. This makes me think the passenger side coil should be rotated slightly clockwise in order to fit better.

At first I didn't really notice a difference at all with the COP installed, but after a bit more driving around it does seem to be revving up smoother when leaving from a stop and the low-RPM (<2000) drivability definitely seems smoother (this is huge for me since I have FP4R cams). It's tough to say whether or not this smoothness can be credited to the COP or if it just means my stock wires/boots were due for replacement. It does seem that even people with very low mileage IX's are still reporting this same improvement in smoothness though. DAY 1 COMPLETE and I am satisfied with my purchase thus far!

Today I removed my stock spark plugs and overall they look very good as well. Again, they never once gave me any ignition problems or misfires that I noticed. I believe they look very good especially considering their age and show my car to be in good running condition with a proper tune. This is the first time the stock spark plugs were ever removed from my engine and are currently sitting at a (from passenger to driver side) .025", .025", .023", .027" gap (factory spec is .020-.024" gap).

Although I generally am a fan of NGK, I decided to replace my stock spark plugs with Denso IKH24 iridium plugs since I wanted to go 1 heat range cooler due to my mods and increased boost level (26 psi peak with the stock turbo). They came out of the box pregapped to .030-.031" and I left them there; very tight consistency which I haven't seen with plugs I've bought for other cars in the past. I installed them with a small amount of high-temp copper anti-seize on the threads and some dielectric grease on the top.

Here are the final installation pictures:

The car felt and pulled very smooth during the final test-drive. With the new plugs the car felt even smoother yet and did seem to pull a bit cleaner into the high RPM's. With the gaps set to .030-.031" there was no break-up or misfires. It would have been interesting to see how the car performed with the new plugs using the stock coils/boots/wires, but I don't feel like tearing everything apart again since I'm very satisfied with the end result.

DAY 2 RESULTS are impressive, I'm glad I did this round of modding. It is not a night and day difference like some are claiming, but it does make a nice subtle change leading to a smoother driving car. I'm not going to make any horsepower claims or estimates since that should only be done with dyno sheets as backup/proof.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good review
Old Jan 26, 2010, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts
def a better review then i have seen
Old Jan 26, 2010, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was specifically looking for your review as I know you would tell it like it is. Great job.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Thanks for the review. And for the guy above this post he mentioned that he is spiking at 26PSI with my best guess being an IX turbo

EDIT: Looks like you figured it out.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Thanks for the review. And for the guy above this post he mentioned that he is spiking at 26PSI with my best guess being an IX turbo
Ported Evo IX turbo @ 26 psi peak tapering to 21.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:05 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks good man!

On a side note, take the COP off, you may be able to rotate the #1 coil a bit more torward the hump on the valve cover. There is purposely a bit of play in them. I'll have to add in a piece onto my IX valve cover for final fitment to avoid that in the future.

Last edited by SpoolinUp; Jan 27, 2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:42 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Kracka, nice review. Do you measure MPG? Please report back if you see any sort of significant change.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the review. I will be buying one soon.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR Turco
Kracka, nice review. Do you measure MPG? Please report back if you see any sort of significant change.
I don't keep a detailed log or anything, but I always do the quick math when I fill up (I reset my trip odometer at every fill-up). I'll report back after a few tanks.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SpoolinUp
On a side note, take the COP off, you may be able to rotate the #1 coil a bit more torward the hump on the valve cover. There is purposely a bit of play in them. I'll have to add in a piece onto my IX valve cover for final fitment to avoid that in the future.
Thanks for the info. I actually ended up removing that o2 sensor plug bracket for a cleaner looking install; if you look closely you'll see it's gone in the final installation pics.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Kracka, your engine bay is so clean, very jelous
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Silk
Kracka, your engine bay is so clean, very jelous
Thanks, I gave it a quick wipe-down before the final pics! The last time I actually detailed it though was before the Mitsu Cookout in August.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Quick update: Today was my first time driving in stop n go traffic with this COP and the car definitely felt smoother during all the low speed/low RPM driving.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 07:21 PM
Former Sponsor

You have a good setup now man. Thats the same plug/cop kit setup I run on my car, big boost and e85 and she has never missed a beat.

Fathouse

Quick Reply: INSTALLED: Evo IX SpoolinUp COP & Denso IKH24 plugs