Notices

fog lights rewired??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2005, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Myszkewicz
I've been thinking about giving this a shot lately. The way the fogs turn off with the headlight switch, but don't come back on with it annoys the hell out of me.

If I do it, I'll post up how I did.

well , go ahead and do it !
Old Jul 7, 2005, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Wink

-

Yeah, someone has to step to the plate on this one... and I'll already be trying my hand at a custom audio wiring, so I'm not the right guy for this. I'll just be hoping someone figures it out, for the benefit of us all.

I think the guy who gets this figured out will be considered a god to many... everybody seems to be complaining about this.

-
Old Jul 8, 2005, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bbradj
I already tried it and fried the ecu. I was going off my friend rx-8 who also did this but no luck.
What did you try that fried the ECU? I would like to avoid that.

What I was thinking about doing is this:
  1. Cut the wire that goes from the #3 terminal on the fog relay to the front ECU pin #1
  2. Install a 2-position toggle switch where I cut the wire so position 1 connects the wire the way it was
  3. Put in another wire that connects to front ECU pin #3 for the headlights, and connect it to the toggle on position 2.
Any time I want to have the fogs act normally, set the toggle to 1. On 2, they'd come on with the headlights.

In theory, anyway.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

What I was thinking about doing is this:
  1. Cut the wire that goes from the #3 terminal on the fog relay to the front ECU pin #1
  2. Install a 2-position toggle switch where I cut the wire so position 1 connects the wire the way it was
  3. Put in another wire that connects to front ECU pin #3 for the headlights, and connect it to the toggle on position 2.
Any time I want to have the fogs act normally, set the toggle to 1. On 2, they'd come on with the headlights.

In theory, anyway.

So your take on this is that if you supply +12 volts to pin 1 of the ECU, the fog lamps would light up even when the high beams are on (or the low beams are off)???

I didn't read the circuit like this at all... but I can't dispute any of this either. I'm just a bit more confused I think... but I'm also really curious about your theory. Let me know if you try it out.

-
Old Jul 9, 2005, 12:29 AM
Evolved Member

No no no.. What I'd be doing there is grounding the fog relay control circuit through the headlight circuit. Any time the headlights are on, the fogs would be, as well. Low and high, I think.

If it works that way (I'm still considering the possibilities), I'll draw up a diagram and post accordingly.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah...welll...um...It started out as a good idea...I dont have the paper we where figuring it out on but there are 2 wires that you dont cross.

We where trying to connect the foglight positive to the parking light positive before the relay. We werent sure exactly what wire was +/- coming out of the relay and tried a couple of different wires and the last one...well...lets just say we saw smoke and I almost s$%t my pants.

Hope this helps!!
Old Jul 11, 2005, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bbradj
We where trying to connect the foglight positive to the parking light positive before the relay.
Okay. I was originally going to try it so the fogs came on with the parking lights, but after looking at the wiring diagrams, I decided not to go that route. The relays for the heads and the parking lights are in the front ECU, but of the two, I'd say the headlight circuit should be able to handle a little more power.

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to do this during the weekend. I was at a party Saturday, and finally installed my Progress springs on Sunday. I do already have the switch wired up, all I need to do is wire it in and hopefully not let the smoke out of my ECU.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

-

Woaw, I can't wait to hear from you on the result!

Will you post pics and stuff if you get it to work???

-
Old Jul 11, 2005, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, if it works. I don't know how well that would work for the Canadian cars, though. The heads have a different control circuit than the American cars, because they have daytime running lights.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Talking

-

Well, let me know how it went... I'll probably try it anyway (with the help of a fuse for added security).

-
Old Jul 11, 2005, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to do this during the weekend. I was at a party Saturday, and finally installed my Progress springs on Sunday. I do already have the switch wired up, all I need to do is wire it in and hopefully not let the smoke out of my ECU.
please no smoke...its not a pleasant smell

let us know
Old Jul 16, 2005, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Well, it didn't work that way. On the plus side, I didn't let the smoke out of my front ECU yet. I did pop the cover off of it, and found a row of relays, and one small circuit board.

Once I figure out how the relays in it are controlled, I *should* be able to tie the head relay and the fog relay together. I haven't decided if that's the way I want to do it, or if I should just run a wire to a switch in the passenger compartment to control the fog relay.

Anyway, thought I'd give an update. I'm -> <- this close. Here's what the switch would let me do:

Attached Thumbnails fog lights rewired??-front_ecu_guts.jpg   fog lights rewired??-ra_fogs_on.jpg  
Old Jul 16, 2005, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

-

Damn! I can't believe how hard that thing is to figure out...

Anyway, good job man... and thanks for being our ginnea pig too.

-
Old Jul 16, 2005, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

I might have to try this eventually!!
Old Jul 16, 2005, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Yep, I think I'm going to go with an external switch. While trying to bypass the IC that controls the relay that controls the fog relay, I let the smoke out.

On the plus side, all my other lights still work, and if I ground the fog relay control circuit, my fogs still come on.

Anyone else wanna try? I can tell you what DOESN'T work.

Quick Reply: fog lights rewired??