Notices
04-06 Lancer Ralliart Show & Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Opinions please...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2005, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Better than stock.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Cool

Originally Posted by importmonkey
steel bar will be heavy man. try aluminum if anything. get a tig or have someone tig it for you.

btw, no stripes!

That's where my ignorance shines brightly... What it tiging? Is it some kind of welding with aluminum? In that case, I'm all for it! I wonder if my uncle has the tools needed though... he mainly works with steel. He has a tack-welder and a gas torch (or wathever that's called).

No stripes you think? Those WRC grills look so hawesome with the white logos... I'm looking for a similar effect.

-
Old Feb 10, 2005, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

TIG stands for Tungsten Innert Gas. it's a way of welding kind of like MIG, but you manually add the filler metal to instead of a wire fed system and you can control the heat with a TIG machine...MIG welding is a "grip it and rip it" style. TIG is a LOT stronger, and MIG won't work on aluminum because it's not magnetic. TIG is the way to go. make sure if you've never done it before to get LOTS of practice...it's tough to master. http://www.weldingengineer.com/ has a good overview on both. good luck!

oh, as for the lines...it's different, which i respect...but i just think it throws off the balance of the car.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 01:18 AM
Evolving Member

hey whatever way you go tig welding it , it looks nice and let us know how it goes and if you had any probelms, etc and if possible throw it on the install threads incase anyone else plans to try it, i might

Last edited by jerseyjap; Feb 11, 2005 at 01:20 AM. Reason: adding
Old Feb 11, 2005, 10:21 AM

Ca devrait être super ca mon Jeff j'ai hâte de voir ca en personne en Avril, comme ca je pourrai copier sur toi
Old Feb 11, 2005, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

I think it looks good.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Cool

Originally Posted by wild_child
Ca devrait être super ca mon Jeff j'ai hâte de voir ca en personne en Avril, comme ca je pourrai copier sur toi

Qu'est-ce qu'y'a en avril? J'ai pas été sur le forum pendant 2 mois... qu'est-ce que j'ai manqué?

TIG stands for Tungsten Innert Gas. it's a way of welding kind of like MIG, but you manually add the filler metal to instead of a wire fed system and you can control the heat with a TIG machine...MIG welding is a "grip it and rip it" style. TIG is a LOT stronger, and MIG won't work on aluminum because it's not magnetic. TIG is the way to go. make sure if you've never done it before to get LOTS of practice...it's tough to master. http://www.weldingengineer.com/ has a good overview on both. good luck!

oh, as for the lines...it's different, which i respect...but i just think it throws off the balance of the car.

This is really good info man! Thanks a lot!

It looks like most of you guys think any kind of paint scheme on the mesh would not look good... That's why I asked for your opinions in the first place, so I guess I'll stick with plain black mesh. Since MIG soldering seems to be the way to go, I'm left with deciding how to go about painting them. Should I have them powder-coated (can that be applied on aluminum, is it expensive?) or should I just spray paint them?

Originally Posted by jerseyjap
hey whatever way you go tig welding it , it looks nice and let us know how it goes and if you had any probelms, etc and if possible throw it on the install threads incase anyone else plans to try it, i might
I might even write a comprehensinve, step-by-step tutorial if all goes well... and if i doesn't, I'll come back to the forum crying for help!

-

Last edited by WoRkZ; Feb 11, 2005 at 12:06 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Lightbulb

make sure if you've never done it before to get LOTS of practice...it's tough to master.

Now that I think of it, I'm quite sure my uncle mentionned TIG to me on some occasion... so he must have everything needed and be knowledgeable about the process too. So I guess I'm left with the task of actually learning the technique... which I'm sure I can master. Once I put my mind to it, I can learn to do almost anything. If I don't end up welding some part of my own body first, I should be able to pull this off...

I can't wait to try my hand at it! But I'm always a bit more motivated when I know I'm working on something for my car anyway...

-
Old Feb 18, 2005, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by WoRkZ
Qu'est-ce qu'y'a en avril? J'ai pas été sur le forum pendant 2 mois... qu'est-ce que j'ai manqué?
J'ai parlé à Michael (le grand avec une RA rouge de St-Jean Richelieu) pis on se disait qu'on allait faire un mini meet en avril pour starter la saison juste les gars du québec en francais style à Trois-Rivière dans le milieu du monde.

P.S. excuse my french words
Old Feb 18, 2005, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Talking

Originally Posted by wild_child
J'ai parlé à Michael (le grand avec une RA rouge de St-Jean Richelieu) pis on se disait qu'on allait faire un mini meet en avril pour starter la saison juste les gars du québec en francais style à Trois-Rivière dans le milieu du monde.

P.S. excuse my french words

GÉNIAL ÇA! Chus partant à 100%!!! C'est plus facile pour moi les fins de semaines du 2 ou du 23... mais je pourrai m'arranger pour les autres aussi. Le 2 ça serait "cool"... LE PLUS VITE POSSIBLE MAUDIT OSTIE! Je file "char" su un moyen temps déjà... c'est pas drôle l'effet que le printemps peut avoir su' un gars!

-
Old Feb 21, 2005, 06:12 AM

Ouais j'vais arranger ca vers le milieu Mars, pis ca devrait être au début Avril.

Moi j'feel pas trop char, parce que le mien est hiverné, pis que se promener en Saturn c'est crissement pas la même chose. C'est quand même mieux qu'à pieds..................
Old Feb 21, 2005, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Is there a reason why you guys are typing in French???
Old Feb 21, 2005, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by bigdoggy_dog
Is there a reason why you guys are typing in French???

I was wondering when someone would finally voice is indignation...

Well, it's because:

1- We can.

2- We like it too.

3- Maybe it's a secret code we use to transfer national security secrets to foreign agents using public forums?! Who knows...

4- Anyway, it's about a meet in Trois-Rivières, Qc... so who would be interested but us? But we switched to e-mails if that's any consolation. So you guys will not be irritated by our unwelcomed use of our native language anymore...

I'll also be learning Español (spanish) this spring... so maybe I'll write you guys a couple of spanish posts later on. Does that make you wanna nuke me along with all those other culturally different people?

BTW: We're not just typing in french, we even understand it! But if that's any consolation, we always make the effort of communicating in plain english whenever anybody else on the forum can remotely be interested.

Bon ben Sylvain, j'pense qu'on dérange du monde encore là. Hiiish, ça dois-tu être dûr d'être uniculturel des fois...

-
Old Feb 21, 2005, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

It's fun to ***** in a different language!
Old Feb 21, 2005, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Talking

Originally Posted by SlowRyd
It's fun to ***** in a different language!

-

Quick Reply: Opinions please...