Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

rpw cam gear installed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2006, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rpw cam gear installed

got this and my cat put in today (exhaust sounds sweet now) and i left the camgear zeroed out since i will not attempt to make any adjustments myself.
i noticed no change since installing these parts really.

but when i take it to get tuned and i know thats when the camgear will make its gains what should i be expecting these guys to do? i just dont want them screwing around with me and i know they'll make some adjustments, but will this require AFR adjustments as well? any info would be great

Thanks in advance for once again teaching the tuning newbie a thing or 2.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gains? not much at all... the main thing that adjustment can make on a sohc is were the powerband is to be 'felt' thatis more or less what can you expect.. not to technical but in essence that what you should be looking....
Old Nov 7, 2006, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

ok. so its when the camshaft is replaced that i will see the actual gains?
Old Nov 7, 2006, 08:45 AM
Former Sponsor

If you left it at 0 it should be no change from stock.

A camshaft change will get you even more power.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ralliart329
ok. so its when the camshaft is replaced that i will see the actual gains?

correct.. when you actually change the camshaft you will have better use of adjustment...
Old Nov 7, 2006, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

then the obvious ? do i bother to pay to put it on the dyno and have them make adjustments to the gear? i dont mind paying for it but if i'll drive away with no real improvement maybe ill wait.

i was planning on getting my IM in whenever it comes, then ordering a new TB then the camshaft. might bump the camshaft up some so i can get something out of this cam gear. just wish i had the money to get the shaft at the same time so i wouldnt have the car apart twice like this.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

You can leave the Tb as is, the real difference is in the mani itself. Combine it with the cam shaft, and maybe you should consider a fuel pump... maybe a Walbro 255 you can get it for cheap.. try asking PR_Mivec since he can explain this better than I can( wonders of language)
Old Nov 7, 2006, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

^^i still plan on going turbo once i pay off my loan and when i do, i want to be ready to go big as this car will probably become the weekend car. but point being the TB will just be one more way to get the most out of my boost. fuel pump is a good idea. then i should probably look at injectors and a new rail too right?
Old Nov 8, 2006, 03:09 AM
Evolved Member

if you are serious about getting a turbo for the car you do not want one of RPW's N.A cam shafts as it will not be in anyway suitable for a turbo especially the RPW kit... but if you are a few years away from getting the kit then go ahead buy the cam shaft and then sell it later you should get nearly the full price of what you paid

also rather than getting a bigger fuel pump which I don't think you will really need you would be better to invest your money into a Haltech E6 or E8 this way you can control your injectors and then be able to dial even your stock cam in a little better but the results will be better seen with a RPW Cam to get the absolute best results... even with my turbo in my car I have no need for a bigger fuel pump only larger injectors and Haltech was enough to look after any possible fuel issues
Old Nov 8, 2006, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

replacing your cams is basically a support mod for a camshaft, i wouldn't expect much from it until you get the cam shaft replaced. I say wait on the dyno, save the cash for the shaft if you're gonna stay N/A for a few years, otherwise just hold off and save for the turbo kit...
Old Nov 8, 2006, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Since you have already had it tuned and the RRM base map only took some tweaking for your car I doubt it would need much because of the Cat. Since you haven't adjusted the cam gear either I would say wait for a bigger change. From what the ones who know have said the cam gear isn't going to net you enough to worry about. the only benefit I can see is bringing your torque curve down a little for a daily driver and maybe up a little for a drag car (I could guess which one yours is supposed to be )
Old Nov 9, 2006, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

i like chowetime's logic. four years left on the loan i might not wait. and if i'm going to get the shaft i'll hold off on tuning the gear until its in.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

ralliart329, You can try to retard the cam -1 for more top end or advance +1 for more low-mid I recomend you to play with it in the dyno in orther to measure any gains. By the butt meter you wont feel any change.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

dyno wont come at least until my IM comes from RRM which should be thursday
Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

The thing to remember with playing iwth the camshaft vernier gear, is that you are also altering the camshaft home sensor signal value, which will alter your injection timing and ignition timing values.

If you are using something like the Haltech E6X or E8 package then you are fine cause you can recalibrate the home signal values in the software. But if you are using the stock ECU, then I really suggest you do very minor changes only and ensure that it is checked on the dyno at hte same time on the air/fuel ratio's and the ignition curves.

It can nett some nice gains, but you have to take this into account and ensure that you check these items first.