Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Engine hesistation when cruising

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2007, 01:36 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDan
been using the AC? had your timing belt changed?

the AC makes the ECU do extra stuff, might be malfunctioning. this one unlikely.

the timing belt: you have changed it already IIRC. how long ago? the belt could be fatigued, although I think you would notice some power issues under WOT if that were the case. not to metion it's an auto tensioning system, although that could be the cause too. If the tensioner pulley is nearing it's lifes end it could be dragging a little all the time and catching occasionally. grasping at straws in this dept though, as you would see the issue more often than not.

o2 sensor seems unlikely, you would see a cel already if those values were off. does it feel like it's cutting fuel, or just losing power. how you have described it sounds like fuel cut, and if it's fuel cut caused by the o2 sensors you would definitely have a cel.

a wideband would be very useful, but that's limited. do you have the tactrix cable? even with it's limitations on the RA it will give you a decent idea of what the ECU is seeing.
Happens regardless of whether or not AC is on. It's definitely not the timing belt, that'd be noticeable at any engine speed (new belt doesn't even have 20k on it yet.) It's definitely not fuel cut, the engine just momentarily stumbles. I've been doing quite a bit of reading, and my symptoms match up perfectly with a failing O2 sensor. I'll be pulling it this weekend and bench testing it and I'll know for sure. I don't trust a CEL, either. The values could be off, but at the same time not off enough to trigger a light.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not sure how close the values are, but it seems pretty easy to throw a cel with the o2 sensors to me
Old Aug 8, 2007, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

yeah mine's doing the same thing...most noticably around highway speeds for me...i either have to be pushing down on the gas or letting off it...if i get the throttle just in that right spot it hesitates...but mines been doin that almost since i got it...
Old Aug 10, 2007, 10:44 AM
EvoM Administrator

Alright, I think I fixed it, and I feel kinda dumb Yesterday, my car threw another 2138 code, so I coasted to the side of the freeway and thanked myself for keeping my code reader/resetter in my glovebox As I was heading home, I realized that the hesistation wasn't happening when I had the cruise control on. So all my attention went to the accel. pedal position sensor. Seems like it had a loose connection. I unplugged it and replugged it and the problem went away. I'm going to throw some electrical grease on it this weekend and hopefully it won't come back.

For those that don't know, the sensor works by sending a smooth and gradually increasing/decreasing voltage level, based on where you have the gas pedal, to the throttle body. I'm guessing the connection was off just enough that the really low voltage signal, that would come with cruising with the pedal barely pressed, wasn't getting through cleanly, causing the TB to flutter.

Hopefully the problem won't return. If it does, I'll have to replace the sensor, which costs about $160

Last edited by otter; Aug 10, 2007 at 10:47 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Wohoo!

I think you'll be sweet from here on end. Probably just a loose connection. Wreckers for the win otter OR $160 or the worry? I know which I'll take!
Old Aug 11, 2007, 12:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
Alright, I think I fixed it, and I feel kinda dumb Yesterday, my car threw another 2138 code, so I coasted to the side of the freeway and thanked myself for keeping my code reader/resetter in my glovebox As I was heading home, I realized that the hesistation wasn't happening when I had the cruise control on. So all my attention went to the accel. pedal position sensor. Seems like it had a loose connection. I unplugged it and replugged it and the problem went away. I'm going to throw some electrical grease on it this weekend and hopefully it won't come back.

For those that don't know, the sensor works by sending a smooth and gradually increasing/decreasing voltage level, based on where you have the gas pedal, to the throttle body. I'm guessing the connection was off just enough that the really low voltage signal, that would come with cruising with the pedal barely pressed, wasn't getting through cleanly, causing the TB to flutter.

Hopefully the problem won't return. If it does, I'll have to replace the sensor, which costs about $160
Where is the sensor? My does this sometimes too, i'd like to try this. Thanks.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 01:46 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its because you dont wipe your butt properly.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 08:03 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by KevinO
Where is the sensor? My does this sometimes too, i'd like to try this. Thanks.
It's the assembly that the throttle cable connects to right behind the passenger side headlight.

Originally Posted by GearDownSon
Its because you dont wipe your butt properly.
You sitters will never know what it's like to have a clean ***.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stupid fly by wire... glad you figured it out!
Old Aug 19, 2010, 05:02 PM

Whats the part number for the accel. pedal position sensor? I think I may have to get one.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 05:07 PM
EvoM Administrator

Mr578861
Old Aug 19, 2010, 05:19 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This part sucks so hard.
Old May 1, 2015, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Aaaand mine finally died.

Just finished a fun series of curves on a lonely backroad on my way home, when the car lost almost all power and the CEL came on. Coasted off the road, and got out my code scanner. P2138. Restarted the car, and crawled the rest of the way home.

It had been doing the same hesitating occasionally while cruising on the highway, I had also noticed it never did it with cruise control on. I had been planning to replace the sensor sooner or later, guess its time is now.
Old May 4, 2015, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Myszkewicz
Aaaand mine finally died.

Just finished a fun series of curves on a lonely backroad on my way home, when the car lost almost all power and the CEL came on. Coasted off the road, and got out my code scanner. P2138. Restarted the car, and crawled the rest of the way home.

It had been doing the same hesitating occasionally while cruising on the highway, I had also noticed it never did it with cruise control on. I had been planning to replace the sensor sooner or later, guess its time is now.

holy crap...I saw the OP was otter, and thought wow, another epic resurrection from some noob...boy was I wrong...how's the car doing otherwise?
Old May 11, 2015, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
holy crap...I saw the OP was otter, and thought wow, another epic resurrection from some noob...boy was I wrong...how's the car doing otherwise?
The rear suspension needs to be replaced again, thanks to a few Wisconsin winters it saw so long ago. The tire shop can't break the adjustment bolts loose, so I'm going through a set of tires per year.

Running like a champ otherwise. Car has 170,006 miles on it now.

Quick Reply: Engine hesistation when cruising