Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Obx headers?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obx headers?

Hello i'm looking to these Obx headers for the RA and i want to know what you guys think about it?

I have a rrm catback and if i buy the obx headers i have a magnaflow high flow cat which ill put on..

So with the rrm catback and high flow cat + obx headers what you guys think?

Thx
Old Jul 18, 2014, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just got a set of them last week and am installing them this weekend, I coated them with a high temp ceramic to keep them from corroding. Beefed up some of the welds as well, they were pretty weak looking.

I have heard from a lot of people the gaskets that come with the header/dp are poor quality, but the ones I got seem pretty solid. There are definitely better alternatives though.

I have a Magnaflow HM cat that I welded on there as well, going with stock exhaust to the Magnaflow muffler from there. I will post an Idle/Rev when it is done.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

Alright let me hear it when it's done
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

Well I would had I not ran into a couple problems, like lack of bolts from OBX. But I also could not get the two bolts at the end off. I tried PB blaster too and got nothing. I will have to wait for a day I have access to some air tools or use a saw to get those things off. And no, there is no lack of strength on this side

I will keep you posted once I get them in.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

So this is my review for them. I bought them over a year ago and the day I installed them my car made a weird ticking sound on acceleration. So we though it was the rest of the exhaust leaking so we redid the hole exhaust straight pipe with a magnaflow muffler on the end. I can't even begin to tell you how raspy the car was ontop of that the exhaust was still making the ticking sound. I had everything checked, gaskets changed still nothing. I then added a hi-flow cat and it was still plenty raspy. I decided to buy a cherrybomb res at Crappytire and boyy did it ever make a difference but was still ticking from under the car. I only figured it out last week that it was the stock OBX flex pipe. From what my mechanic told me it was a lot longer then it needed to be and not welded properly. I don't think it did much performance wise even with the tune maybe a few horses.

This is the sound it made with the header & DP straight piped.

Last edited by JTCB; Jul 21, 2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hope this doesn't offend anyone but it sounds like the riced out hondas around where i live....
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the video, now I know what people mean when they say raspy. It's been a mystery to me for years. It's just what I call loud. Thanks for the cherry bomb hint too.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Ohh yeah it sounded really bad. Ill try and get a video with the cherry bomb. Sounds so much betterr
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Got the headers/DP in today and it sounds great! I have the Magnaflow Cat welded in and it doesn't sound raspy at all. There is a little bit of a crackle but not too much and it should deepen within a week. I also I have mine coated in a high temp ceramic which may or may not effect it. I would definitely get some different gaskets. I have them all tightened down to spec, and then tried them a little tighter, and you can here the tell tale sound of a leak, I just haven't figured out where. I will get a vid when I can, maybe tomorrrow.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Weel i reveived the header, so yesterday i installed everything, headers, downpipe+Magnflow hf cat and my rrm catback and damn it sounds so so great, not raspy at all, i never thought it would sound that good

The only down side about the header/dp is that it sits SO low under the car... When i take a ride i hear it scrap something on the ground...
Old Jul 30, 2014, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Scraping on paved roads or gravel? I haven't had any issues with that yet, although I am on stock suspension still. Saggy, but stock.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

After getting under there a little bit I noticed two things:

1, the outlet flange on the downpipe is a little bit off and does make my mid pipe point slightly more towards the ground and giving me maybe 6" of clearance.

2, on the opposite spectrum it is causing the bend under my drunk to smack the bottom of the trunk and a little bit of the bumper, making an interesting (somewhat cool) sound.

I currently have my second to last rubber hanger unhooked to prevent that sound and am thinking about having the exhaust welded in place, or making a sturdier hanger setup in the back to pull it from the body. Still sounds great though, the tone has dropped a little bit since Monday.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Scaping on paved road.. So now i really have to look for every bump, it's not my front bumper who scrap anymore its the exhaust but im lowered quite a lot
Obx headers?-image.jpg
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah that would make a little bit more sense. The flange on the DP is at a weird rotation, might have to do some custom piping to get it back in its groove. Or cut and turn it might help you out. Does yours smack your trunk area? Right where the spare is?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here you go

http://www.obxracingsports.com/products.php?pk=1777

Quick Reply: Obx headers?