Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

evo 2006 engine questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo 2006 engine questions

Hey guys,

I have a buddy of mine who baught a ralliart 2006 last year the car was turbo when he baught it.

I want to know if the 2.4 mivec has strong internals since he wants to put out more power. Right now it runs 7 psi and produces around 210 whp.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Do you know if its a custom kit or if its rrms? Someone can correct me if I'm wrong cause I haven't been on much lately. But if it has a 5th injector on the intake pipe it could be rrms kit and to get more power you can up the boost but you would need to do ARP head studs to hold the head down. But I think with a reliable tune you can run 10 psi I think that's what truth is running on his automatic without any work to the internals
Old Jan 27, 2015, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
you got it! 4 larger injectors and ECU tuning...and you can safely run 10psi...get a bigger turbo, and bigger exhaust, and you could make more power at the same boost pressure...
Old Jan 27, 2015, 06:56 PM

Its not an rrsm its all custom work.its also a manual transmission. If he mods the car i'm gonna make sure he mods the essentials, hes gonna get a better clutch/brakes/intake/ turbo/ exaust/ fuel setup / studs and all around for sure before hand. but i want to know before making him spend 2-3k around the engine if pistons / rods / block / crank can handle a decent amount of power or if he will get a surpise like a bent rod,cracked block or crank..
Old Jan 27, 2015, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

you plan on spending $3k, and not building the motor? it's already got a turbo...so you need a better clutch ($5-600), brakes you don't need to go crazy...some aggressive pads like hawk HPS or HP+ or EBC yellow or something similar, and some racing DOT 4 fluid... ($2-300) exhaust depends on what he currently has...you don't need anything fancy...2.5" turbo back, and press-bent aluminized steel will work just fine... mandrel bent stainless looks good but no one will see it. intake depends on current setup, and for fuel, what injectors is he currently using? 500cc injectors and a walbro 255lph will be plenty up to and beyond 300whp on stock lines and rail.

can you post pics and specification (parts list) of the current setup?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 01:14 AM
Evolving Member

got photos of the car? and engine bay?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Im wondering if this is Brent's old RA or not... LOL

Pics?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

oh ****...could be, lol
Old Jan 28, 2015, 08:40 AM

I dont have a picture a of now the car is stored for winter ill post a pic when we go the car. How much power can the base of the engine handle?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

with forged rods and pistons, and an evo head the engine has made 800hp. On stock internals I think Cranswick is running 14 psi last I heard. Thats the most I know of on stock internals.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

running 10psi for the winter, i can run 91 octane if i turn the boost down, but yeah in the summer 14psi on 94 octane pump gas...
Old Feb 3, 2015, 12:09 PM

Alright guys, its an rrsm kit, it has the 5th injector on the intake, external wastegate resent to the exaust, and recirc bov. I am planning to get him 4 bigger injectors and a better fuel pump, cancel the 5tj injector, a full 3 inch exaust system no cat, boost controller on wastegate set to 14-20 psi on 94 octane. I will make a stainless steel exaust manufold as the steel one is cracked, Full ecu retune on dyno with arp headstuds and 4g63 head + new headhasket. Do you think the bottom end will support all of this? Or he is better off forging it? Will the turbo handle that much boost? If not i got a gt2860 laying around ill install if ever he needs.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

If im not mistaken Im pretty sure Ive heard that the RRM kit uses a chinese knockoff turbo. So take that for what you will. Also if it is on the RRM kit it's probably tuned with the piggy back they sell. So you'll wanna ditch that in favor of another tuning method. If your switching to a 4g63 head then you'll need all sorts of new stuff. ECU, Timing belt, change how the accessories are mounted, new wiring harness, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, etc... Changing the head alone affects half of your list there. If you stick with the 4g69 head then switching to 4 bigger injectors and ditching the 5th one with a walboro 255 is a good idea. head studs should be installed if your going over 10psi. But if your going above 14psi then your heading into unknown territory on stock internals.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Make a build thread so we can keep up with it. If your going to put in forged internals I know a ton of guys here would love to see the progress on that.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

yeah that list is contradictory, you wouldn't have to make a manifold if you used a 4G63 head, cause a stock 4G63turbo manifold would work just fine, but then neither the 16g on the car or the GT2860 you mentioned would bolt up...20psi is pretty unrealistic on a stock motor...and for the turbo, I don't think a GT28 will flow any more than a big 16g, but I would have to look into it...plus they are different flanges anyway...you need to figure out what type of turbo you want to run before you can decide on a specific turbo charger...

if he wants more power, get some head studs...replace them one by one in the torqueing order, get 4 larger injectors, ECU reflash, and a boost controller...also the clutch...
Old Feb 4, 2015, 05:36 AM

i will post up a thread for sure the buildup will depend on how much my friend wants to spend on it. all the work will be done by me so he saves big bucks haha. I come from a world of skylines where i built my own r32 gtr from ground up to 600 rwhp so playing in mitsubishi is pretty "new" for me, id rather do a bit of research before building something that wont last.

Quick Reply: evo 2006 engine questions