Notices

Mivec Good or Bad and Mivec Controller (Discussion Topic)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2004, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Mivec Good or Bad and Mivec Controller (Discussion Topic)

WARNING LONG POST Exit by clicking back...

Ok, lets get some good discussion on these 2 topics

First off IMO, my view of the mivec is good and bad. The good is well it hauls after 3500rpm, its not a kick in the *** like i-vtec... but its smooth and moves you quicker than i-vtec ( i witness that first hand to bad the sI did too). I love how the engine sounds, when im over 4000rpm that trq + mivec engine sings and pulls, very impressive and ive impressed alot of stock and modified cars in my neighborhood. The bad, well this some times (IMO) out weights the good, GAS. She eats gas like a fat ***** (ok, a fat ***** doesnt eat gas, but you know what I mean ). On the streets its not bad, unless im on WOT and than after seeing my gas I feel . On the freeway, i like to drive 80-85mph but im about 4000rpm + or - so mivec already kicked in and my gas is leaving me once again. Only way I can stay out of mivec is driving 70-74ish at about 3000-3400rpms, cuz i believe 75 is just when mivec kicks in @ 3500rpms. I wish I could operate mivec at a higer RPM like, 4000 or 4500 on the freeway, because I dont need mivec on the freeway, just on the streets when I wanna have some spirited driving.

So, whats ya thoughts on MIVEC so far?

Now my next point, Mivec Controller. This topic hasnt been discussed much, so im bringing it back to the forefront. As said before, on the freeway I would like mivec to kick in about 4000-4500 rpms so I can do that 80-85mph witout gas consumption. Also when im on the streets I would like to have different points when MIVEC kicks in, like a low 2000rpms and another kick @ 5500rpms, while keeping the 3500rpm kick as well. Since redline is 6500 i think its an even balance.

Well I was talking to my japanese friend (mariko) and while she's not into the whole car crazy (just videogames and cellphones) I asked her about my car and parts in japan, including a mivec controller. She told me what I already know, its 1.8 GDI-T etc. etc. etc. She also told me that there is a good amount of parts of the ralli-art in japan and upgradable turbo kit. She was shocked when I told her our ralli-art came NA and not as plush as the JDM one. Anyways, she told me there where a few mivec controllers from; Apexi VAFC, R Spec Mivec Controller, R Spec Mivec Controller (Type2), Fields SFC-VTEC/Mivec Controller, even HKS makes one. Only prob is, there based on the JDM ralli-art not the USDM. Anyways thou, she said she has a couple friends who are into cars and she can get me one for FREE, I just dont't know which one to get, but im leaning towards the R Spec v2 controller, since i read some good info on it. I still have to wait as this was about a week ago when i last asked her about it.

Anyways, whats ya thoughts on or have a mivec controller?
Old Oct 15, 2004, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know if it's going to work on US Ralliart...
It'd be for a Japanese MIVEC... so that'd be an FTO or the GDI Ralliart....
Problem with that is FTO & GDI both have considerably different engines than RA...
Not trying to bring you down & I hope you can figure something out, I just doubt it's going to be an easy plug & play type thing in this instance!
Old Oct 15, 2004, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Arithmetic
WARNING LONG POST Exit by clicking back...

Ok, lets get some good discussion on these 2 topics

First off IMO, my view of the mivec is good and bad. The good is well it hauls after 3500rpm, its not a kick in the *** like i-vtec... but its smooth and moves you quicker than i-vtec ( i witness that first hand to bad the sI did too). I love how the engine sounds, when im over 4000rpm that trq + mivec engine sings and pulls, very impressive and ive impressed alot of stock and modified cars in my neighborhood. The bad, well this some times (IMO) out weights the good, GAS. She eats gas like a fat ***** (ok, a fat ***** doesnt eat gas, but you know what I mean ). On the streets its not bad, unless im on WOT and than after seeing my gas I feel . On the freeway, i like to drive 80-85mph but im about 4000rpm + or - so mivec already kicked in and my gas is leaving me once again. Only way I can stay out of mivec is driving 70-74ish at about 3000-3400rpms, cuz i believe 75 is just when mivec kicks in @ 3500rpms. I wish I could operate mivec at a higer RPM like, 4000 or 4500 on the freeway, because I dont need mivec on the freeway, just on the streets when I wanna have some spirited driving.

So, whats ya thoughts on MIVEC so far?

Now my next point, Mivec Controller. This topic hasnt been discussed much, so im bringing it back to the forefront. As said before, on the freeway I would like mivec to kick in about 4000-4500 rpms so I can do that 80-85mph witout gas consumption. Also when im on the streets I would like to have different points when MIVEC kicks in, like a low 2000rpms and another kick @ 5500rpms, while keeping the 3500rpm kick as well. Since redline is 6500 i think its an even balance.

Well I was talking to my japanese friend (mariko) and while she's not into the whole car crazy (just videogames and cellphones) I asked her about my car and parts in japan, including a mivec controller. She told me what I already know, its 1.8 GDI-T etc. etc. etc. She also told me that there is a good amount of parts of the ralli-art in japan and upgradable turbo kit. She was shocked when I told her our ralli-art came NA and not as plush as the JDM one. Anyways, she told me there where a few mivec controllers from; Apexi VAFC, R Spec Mivec Controller, R Spec Mivec Controller (Type2), Fields SFC-VTEC/Mivec Controller, even HKS makes one. Only prob is, there based on the JDM ralli-art not the USDM. Anyways thou, she said she has a couple friends who are into cars and she can get me one for FREE, I just dont't know which one to get, but im leaning towards the R Spec v2 controller, since i read some good info on it. I still have to wait as this was about a week ago when i last asked her about it.

Anyways, whats ya thoughts on or have a mivec controller?

More than one shift point would be impossible without incredible physical modification. After all, variable valve timing all comes down to the valves operating on a different cam lobe. All the computers in the world won't change one thing, the ralliart has 3 cam lobes, 2 for the low RPM setting, and ONE for the high rpm.
As for being at 3500, I don't mind this. My highway+automatic keeps the rpms below 3500 until I go about 130KPH. You COULD change the point (in the RPM) when the mivec comes on, but you can't physically ADD change points.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 02:14 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Note that the Asian Ralliarts come with a 1.8 liter engine w/turbo, not the 2.4 L engine that we have.

Last edited by otter; Oct 15, 2004 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Because I'm an idiot who doesn't know the size of his own engine.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

*cough* 2.4 L

I feel that there is no need to change the mivec point it's there for a reason and any change could effect torque and smoothness of the transfer from low to mid to high speed.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

drive safely
Old Oct 15, 2004, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Is any company in usa or canada going to make a mivec controller for the usdm ralliarts?
Old Oct 15, 2004, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Well, Road race has a chip out for about $450 that is a piggyback. Probably not the same thing exactly as a controller but it does change things a bit. Could be better or worse for mileage. All I know is that it uses premium gas and takes advantage of exaust and intake. I'd be curious to see some hard specs on it.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd be happy with just a switch I could turn off when I'm just cruising at 80+mph, to avoid the gas-eating Mivec. Another reason for me to buy the factory service manual.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the cams are controlled electronically in the other mivec's in the pacific countries. If you can find the wires, just try throwing a volt meter across the terminals and see what happens when you you idle, rev a bit, and rev over 3500rpm. If you can get a switch to fix the middle range, you got it! finding the wires is the first step. any ideas? I would check back left side of the block going into passanger lower area of the firewall.....just a guess
Old Oct 15, 2004, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blk-majik
the cams are controlled electronically in the other mivec's in the pacific countries. If you can find the wires, just try throwing a volt meter across the terminals and see what happens when you you idle, rev a bit, and rev over 3500rpm. If you can get a switch to fix the middle range, you got it! finding the wires is the first step. any ideas? I would check back left side of the block going into passanger lower area of the firewall.....just a guess
There's only 2 different profiles for the intake valves, the profile before 3500 and the profile after 3500.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ya, 2 cam profiles. i was under the impression that the mivec also did something /w the idle (not a diff profile tho). but u are right, if u find the electronics controlling the the cams, there should only be 2 settings, not 3.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Um, I'm pretty sure it's not your mivec doing the ****ty gas mileage. I've got an cai and exhaust put on, so mivec kickin in shoudl theoretically be worse on my car for gas mileage. When driving at 3000 revs on the highway (I believe between 110 and 120 km/h) I get kinda ****ty mileage, something like around 35 mpg. If i drive at 140Km/h = 4000 on the revs, i get a huge increase in my mileage....as in 45 mpg. Just for the hell of it, i drove back the same road going 120 in fourth gear, let it cruise at 4500. I came back at 39 mpg. So for my car, for one reason or another, i get better mileage at around 4000 rpm. Go figure...
Old Nov 3, 2004, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jars1000
Um, I'm pretty sure it's not your mivec doing the ****ty gas mileage. I've got an cai and exhaust put on, so mivec kickin in shoudl theoretically be worse on my car for gas mileage. When driving at 3000 revs on the highway (I believe between 110 and 120 km/h) I get kinda ****ty mileage, something like around 35 mpg. If i drive at 140Km/h = 4000 on the revs, i get a huge increase in my mileage....as in 45 mpg. Just for the hell of it, i drove back the same road going 120 in fourth gear, let it cruise at 4500. I came back at 39 mpg. So for my car, for one reason or another, i get better mileage at around 4000 rpm. Go figure...
\

you are getting amazing mpg. i average 24-30mpg. and thats mixed hwy and city driving. i think most people are averaging around the same as me. sorry if i'm being
Old Nov 4, 2004, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

The car itself burns a lot of gas, so the mivec isn't going to change that.. it is a 2.4L engine.. not some 1.6L (honda)

-joe

Quick Reply: Mivec Good or Bad and Mivec Controller (Discussion Topic)