Notices

Do I Buy The '04 Ralliart?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2004, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also, will any of the RRM mods void my warranty?
Old Nov 17, 2004, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

-

Well, at least avoid at alll cost the Goodyear RS-As they put on some of the RAs...

You probably won't be able to get them to install some Pirelli's for free, but might get some sweet deal for them though...

-
Old Nov 17, 2004, 07:36 PM

hi all

dude for for pirelli or c even if they can let u keep the Good Years...and get u some blizzaks for winter tire's lol and steele's

thats wat my dealer did for me for 250 extra cost four steeles 16" and blizzaks tires
Old Nov 17, 2004, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ewsang
Also, will any of the RRM mods void my warranty?
it depends mostly on the dealer... intake and exhaust (not the down pipe) shouldnt... but ask the dealer
Old Nov 17, 2004, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Disclaimer: I know Deltarider99 will flame me for this one. I too think you should get yourself some nice goodies instead of the S&S. If you don't care much for the sunroof, get some go fast goodies instead... and some bling for good measure.

AHHHH!!!!!!!! hahaha

Well....the S&S is a great factory option, but as demonstrated in this post alone, it isn't for everyone. I like it because it's a well balanced package that comes installed, wired up, and ready to go. Sure, you could probably duplicate or even surpass the Infinity system for the money, but it won't look as clean! My recommendation is to take one of your favorite cd's to the dealer, pop it in, and see if you like it!

The sunroof is nice, but it will rattle slightly over time.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is my 3rd brand new car, and first with a sun roof. I live in San Diego and like that I can just pop the roof and lower the back windows just a bit and be cool enough to not roll down the front windows which get annoying on the freeway.

Even if you don't open the roof that much, it makes the interior feel much larger just by he fact that you can see the sky... pretty cool in my opinion.

About the stereo system... I've always installed aftermarket decks/amps/speakers in my cars, but I think that this system is good enough for me to keep stock! Now it doesn't BOOM enough for the neighborhood to hear, but it sounds pretty damn good to occupants. Plus, I know it won't be ripped off by some thugs.

Oh yeah, get a 5-spd. Much more enjoyable to drive. Don't even think about black. If you like dark colors, go for the graphite gray. Of course I'm partial to cool silver!

Just my $.02
Old Nov 17, 2004, 11:34 PM
Evolving Member

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums but I've met a few of you already. I'm looking for major advice here... I'm looking to purchase a car between now and January and I'm very interested in the 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart (5 Speed Manual). I live in Chicago, Illinois and the best offer I've found is 19.5 with the Sun, Sound, and Side Airbag package or 18 without it; The best Mitsubisihi offer I've been given here also includes either 0% financing or a $2500 rebate (after tax).
I don't know how good or bad that financing is (I didn't finance mine), but $19.5k with S&S or $18k without sounds pretty high for a 2004. By "offer" do you mean before or after negotiating? If before then you should be able to get _at least_ $2k off either of those prices with some decent negotiation. If after, then Ralliarts are ****ing expensive in Chicago!

I paid $18.6k out the door for my 2004 Ralliart with sun, sound, and side airbags back in the early spring, and I didn't manage to negotiate the greatest deal around (though I didn't do poorly either). The 2005's are out now, so a 2004 should be even cheaper! The 2005's are identical, but even so they should still drive the price of the remaining 2004's down.

1). Which transmission?
Right now I'm leaning towards the 5 speed manual, you can't go wrong with it being $1000 cheaper, right?
Don't get the manual because it's cheaper, get it because it's MUCH more fun! Saving a grand is just a bonus Not to mention that the Ralliart has by far the best (stock) shifter I've used, though I've only driven four other manual cars.

2). What color?
Right now I'm leaning towards the Graphite Gray Pearl.
You mentioned earlier in the thread that you don't want blank because it's high maintenance. The Ralliart's gray is about as close to black as car color grays get, so it's probably pretty high maintenance to keep clean and looking good too. Before getting a good look at the gray in person I thought I wanted one too, but I ended up going with the silver because of that very reason.

Btw, I'm not criticizing you gray-owning folks. I think your cars look great, I'd just can't spend much time cleaning my car

3). Do I get the Sun, Sound, & Side Airbag package?
Although I don't really need the side airbags, a sunroof sounds nice and I heard the upgraded Infinity sound system is to die for- does it play MP3's as well?
To start off with, nope, the stock deck does not play MP3 CDs.

I too originally read that you must get the S&S package to get side airbags, and IMO that alone is reason enough to get it. Safety first is _not_ a cliche, it's something you really should keep in mind! With that said, apparently a bunch of folks on here got the side airbags without getting the S&S system, so if you do decide not to get the S&S package you should look into that.

Given that apparently you don't need to get the S&S system to get side airbags, I see two reasons to get it:
1). You want a sunroof (and ideally a good sound system as well).
2). You want a good sound system with a subwoofer, but don't want it taking up much trunk space (I've never seen an aftermarket setup with subs in a small sedan that didn't take up obscene amounts of trunk space).

Did I get the S&S package? Yup.

Why'd I get it? Originally because of reason #2 only, but now #1 would apply to me just as much. Before I bought my Ralliart I'd never owned or regularly driven a car with a sunroof, and just figured it was a luxury I didn't need and wouldn't really care for. After getting my Ralliart with one, I soon realized I loved having one and will make it a requirement of any future cars I buy. Being able to open it is nice, and I do sometimes in the summer, but as others have mentioned it really gives the car a much bigger and more open feeling even when it's closed, and that's really the kicker for me.

How does it sound? Great IMO, though it won't compete with the best aftermarket systems of course. However, it's not worth $1500 by itself, so if you don't want a sunroof you're better off getting an aftermarket setup installed by a reputable audio shop for less (or even better sound for the same amount). As mentioned before though I've never seen or heard of a comparable aftermarket setup that takes up less trunk space, so if that's as important to you as it is to me then you should get the S&S system.

Btw, there's a cheap adapter that you can get to hook up an aftermarket deck (i.e. an MP3 CD player) to the S&S system. I used it to install an MP3 CD player. It was my first (and still most recent) car mod excluding swapping the louvers for the mesh grill, and it really wasn't that hard. Lancers in particular give you a lot of room to work in in the dash, so I say don't let the lack of a stock MP3 CD player keep you from getting the S&S system. If you can crimp any sort of cable and use a screwdriver you can install a new deck in a Lancer Also, as an FYI, the amp under the driver's seat in the S&S system powers all of the speakers as well as the sub, so you don't need to worry about power ratings when selecting a new deck.

Well, I'm really looking for lots of input here, maybe this thread can be useful to others looking to purchase a new '04. As the year comes to an end. I will be going in soon to test drive the '04 Ralliart AT that they have, but he said that they have at least 2 of each color in the MT that they will transfer for me for free, even if he has to get the Cool Silver Metallic's from South Dakota.
Test drive a manual one!

When I think about the numbers put out by the Ralliart I really don't think I can go wrong for under 20g, It's cheaper than an RSX-S but it can't be too far behind if I make a few mods...
As others have mentioned, don't even bother with the base model RSX. The RSX-S is a very good car though, and it sounds like you should consider getting a used one of them as well. You should read up on and test drive both it and the Ralliart (and any other cars you're interested in), and decide based on the test drive and whether you'd prefer a coupe or sedan (I only didn't seriously consider the RSX-S because I really wanted a sedan). A used RSX-S without too many miles is as cheap or cheaper than a Ralliart. Also, before you go crazy with mods, keep in mind that when you pay for a new car you're also paying for its warrenty. If you want to do a lot of modding and don't have lots of cash flowing, you should save some money and buy a used car. There's no warrentied performance mods for the Ralliart (at least not ones that give any significant performance boost).

but I'm only turning 18
I bought my Ralliart soon after I turned 18, and I've been loving it ever since!

and I've got to finance this one on my own. I can make a huge downpayment and finance the rest off in 24-36 months, but 1500 for the S&S? Is it worth it or should I just have an aftermarket system installed?
See above about the S&S package.

Good luck and have fun with whatever car you decide on!
Old Nov 18, 2004, 03:58 AM
Evolving Member

I Chose S&S and Im so happy I did With the 2005 it also gives you the option of a 6CD player (which I also took) and side airbags are now in every Ralliart ('05)
Old Nov 18, 2004, 04:07 AM

can i just get the sunroof and not the sound system?
Old Nov 18, 2004, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

no you cant
Old Nov 18, 2004, 09:50 PM

You guys have all been a great help... I just noticed recently that the mitsu website advertises up to $5000 back on '04 models until January 3rd. So here is my game plan.

MSRP: $17,997
S&S: $ 1,500
Subtotal: $19,497
Tax: $ 1,511 (7.75%)
Total: $21,008
Rebate: ($ 5,000)
Final: $16,008

Now let's say i drop HALF of that on a down payment. I could easily finance 8,000 with a little juice over 3 years. So what shall it be?

2004 Diamond White Pearl Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart MT. Yum.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:04 PM

1. 5 Speed...no question..its cheaper and better.
2. any color is great....gray, red, black are best..
3. go for the sun sound package..i have it and im really glad that i got it - the speakers are great and the price you pay extra ...you couldn't get that much better....

GET IT THE 04 RALLI.... i have no complaints
Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WoRkZ
-

Hey!?! 500 posts!!! I'm now a part of the distinguished club of the evolved members! Woooot, wooot!!!

-
Congrats!

Anyway, If your planning on installing a subwoofer later I would just get the S&S. It only adds like 30lbs to the whole car. Its hard to do that and have the same sound quality that we have. As far as color, I love my thunder grey. You don't see it on every other car like you do White, Red and Black and I hate the yellow anyway (I wish they had the blue that they offer on the base model). And Last, I say take the rebate and spend it on some RRM mods.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 04:19 AM
Evolved Member

You guys have all been a great help... I just noticed recently that the mitsu website advertises up to $5000 back on '04 models until January 3rd. So here is my game plan.

MSRP: $17,997
S&S: $ 1,500
Subtotal: $19,497
Tax: $ 1,511 (7.75%)
Total: $21,008
Rebate: ($ 5,000)
Final: $16,008

Now let's say i drop HALF of that on a down payment. I could easily finance 8,000 with a little juice over 3 years. So what shall it be?

2004 Diamond White Pearl Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart MT. Yum.
What website did you see this 5k rebate? I looked on mitsumotors.com and they only have 05 models
Old Nov 19, 2004, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by lrh35
Congrats!

Anyway, If your planning on installing a subwoofer later I would just get the S&S. It only adds like 30lbs to the whole car. Its hard to do that and have the same sound quality that we have. As far as color, I love my thunder grey. You don't see it on every other car like you do White, Red and Black and I hate the yellow anyway (I wish they had the blue that they offer on the base model). And Last, I say take the rebate and spend it on some RRM mods.
GREAT! I was looking to hear from a Gray owner. How is it? I think the color looks great and is just as unique as a good white Ralliart, but how does it hold up? Is it difficult to keep clean? Damn I really hope I get this rebate, will any RRM mods other than like the Turbo kit void my warranty?