Notices

Sound package question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2005, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound package question

i have the sun and sound, and i want to upgrdade the sub to a better 8 inch sub. does anybody know if the stock sub is powered by an external amp? or powered by the cd player itself. i have a kenwood amp that im considering using and i wana know what people have done. i wana keep the stock sub enclosure and just swap subs and hook up the kennwood amp....any suggestions?
Old Aug 10, 2005, 08:24 PM

I believe that all the speakers run through the amp it self. If you look behind your player you will see the harness, ant hookup and another connector, that it the connector that goes to the amp under your seat. I have never opened up the sub enclosure so I dont know how the sub is connected inside the box. I dont see why you couldn't hook up the sub with the existing connector inside the box. As for the aftermarket amp. You will need a MITAH adapter. I got mine off of Ebay, just type in MITAH and see what comes up. You can also get them here:

http://www.cardomain.com/item/PERMITAH

Look around though I know I've seen them cheaper.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 08:25 PM

Here is one that I found on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PERIPHERAL-MITAH...QQcmdZViewItem
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:52 AM
Evolved Member

I think you can just slap a better speaker into the enclosure, as long as it's the same size and rated for the same power.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

ya but i have no clue the specs on the stock amp , can it handle a better speaker? i was wanting a better JL audio sub,(my fav subs)
Old Aug 11, 2005, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ralli04Art
ya but i have no clue the specs on the stock amp , can it handle a better speaker? i was wanting a better JL audio sub,(my fav subs)
Won't fit, I already tried. The mounting depth is like next to nothing. The stock sub has a real tiny magnet and fits just perfect into a round shape right behind it. There is NO way any decent sub is going to fit into the stock box. I even tried moding the box and making it bigger, but in the end, I just ended up breaking it!!! LOL
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Lame. That enclosure is smooth, much nicer than just a box in the trunk, but looks like it's not to be.

I think they should make a matching one for the other side... dual 8's would sound better.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Too bad we can't get something like the Hummer Monsoon Sound package... It has 2 12's i believe.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Heh, yeah. That would be... loud.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ralli04Art
i have the sun and sound, and i want to upgrdade the sub to a better 8 inch sub. does anybody know if the stock sub is powered by an external amp? or powered by the cd player itself. i have a kenwood amp that im considering using and i wana know what people have done. i wana keep the stock sub enclosure and just swap subs and hook up the kennwood amp....any suggestions?

If you want to upgrade your sub and amp, you can simply get an amp with a high-input circuit (amplified signal from the stock amp) and a good sub (let's say a 12" driver), run the stock wire into it and then install the whole thing somewhere in the trunk. Let me know if you need more info for the amp...

I personnnaly plan on emptying the spare compartment and build a custom fiberglass sub enclosure to put in there... and then buy a can of that green tire repair stuff in place of the spare. Anyway, I have no other choice since I don't have the stock sub enclosure.

BTW: If you bought an aftermarket head unit, please don't go with the high-input solution. Just run your HU pre-amp out to the sub amp... it's the best solution as far as sound quality is concerned.

-
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Talking

-

Oh and BTW, that stock subwoofer just makes the worst paper weight I have ever seen... and I can't see any other use for it. Mine as a nice 1 sq.in. whole in it if anyone wonders. never ship speakers through USPS...

-