Notices

mad at the shop

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mad at the shop

well i took my car to the shop today on my lunch break and got an axleback put on it.

it sounds awesome and looked great too. i get back to work and all is good, but after work i went to meet up with some lady friends. i get to where im going and i hear rattling coming from my exhaust. i get out to look at it and my muffler is touching my bumper and the bumper is all melted! i was so angry and the shop was closed so there is nothing that i can do tonight. i kicked the muffler a few times to get it away from the bumper and it seemed to work but the bumper is already melted so my rear skirt is toast.. almost literally.

the car goes in tommorow morning for a new front bumper from mitsu because mine has a stress crack on it so i think im going to ask them how much the rear skirt is and figure that plus 200$ for paint and take it to my exhaust shop. ill give him the option of pay for it to get replaced or write me a check so i can get it done on my own time.

i asked him over and over again to make sure it wont mess up my bumper. he kept saying no that it will be fine. i told him that ill trust him on it and he is the kind of guy that will fix anything that is wrong with his work. i want to get it fixed but its not that big of a deal because i could always get a piece of carbon fiber and rivet it to the bumper as a heat shield (unless someone knows where i can buy one for an 06 ralliart) i am definatly going to make him fix the exhaust so it doesnt bang around under the car i think one of the hangers is broken and it caused the damage. what does everyone think i should do about this mess?
Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:53 AM
Evolved Member

Chances are, he put it in upside down? My RRM axleback on my 06 doesnt come near my bumper.

Do what you got to do to prevent further melting. But do not modify what your dumbass mechanic did. Take pictures of what happened for reference. Call the guy, asap, you will have to put your foot down.

Btw I hope you didnt pay cash, a lot of times mechanics want you to pay cash because you dont have a record of them servicing your car, so when you go back with a receipt from Mitsu Dealership for a new rear end, they can say, hey wheres the proof that you were here?

Best of luck

Last edited by k3lv; Jun 9, 2006 at 12:56 AM.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

i have a written reciept from them that says they did the work, so no worries on that. i always pay for car stuff with the debit card

i went down to the hsop this morning and told him what happened, he said bring it in and they will fix the exhaust for me, which as far as im concerned means they need to chop it off and start over, that tube was bent wrong in the first place and it looks like an exhaust hanger is broken. and i want a new burnt tip muffler, mine has burnt plastic on it and it looks like garbage.

on a better note, i took it to mitsu this morning for dent and scratch removal that was on the due bill and got 4 compliments on how good it sounds.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by k3lv
Btw I hope you didnt pay cash, a lot of times mechanics want you to pay cash because you dont have a record of them servicing your car, so when you go back with a receipt from Mitsu Dealership for a new rear end, they can say, hey wheres the proof that you were here?

Best of luck
Don't know what kinda mechanics you have out there but my dealership gives me a printed receipt for all the work they do on my car regardless of method of payment. At any rate its always a good idea to get a receipt for anything you pay for.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Ruined your muffler, toasted your rear skirt. That sucks. I hope you weren't too embarassed in front of your lady friends. That would **** me off, if I was trying to enjoy my new exhaust and let people know I have it. You don't want it to look or sound bad when, if you're like me, you talk it up before you get it installed.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

yeah it sucks, the lady friends said that i should go stab those guys lol... my friends are the best.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boozeup&riot
Don't know what kinda mechanics you have out there but my dealership gives me a printed receipt for all the work they do on my car regardless of method of payment. At any rate its always a good idea to get a receipt for anything you pay for.
some mechanics will just want cash and therefore no receipt... and Im not talking about the dealership, Im talking about custom shops
Old Jun 9, 2006, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

some mechanics will just want cash and therefore no receipt... and Im not talking about the dealership, Im talking about custom shops
I've never been anywhere that didnt offer a receipt for a purchase. Even when I paid cash....wierd man. STAY AWAY!
Old Jun 9, 2006, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

if you stab him whos gonna fix you car. lol

thats good that they are coporating with you and not giving you a hard time , but they should definetly pay to have your bumper fixed and if he is as cool as you say he is you shouldnt have any problems.

it would be cool if he just gave you cash, then you could replace your skirt and get that c/f heatshield you wanted.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Make sure it's a dbl walled muffler tip or it will get super hot.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

i talked to the stealership today and asked about how much a rear skirt is.... he told me and i almost had a damn heartattack!

421$ plus how ever much it is for paint!

thats insane. i think i might just get my mechanic to give me 550$ and ill trim my bumper and put the money towards the supercharger fund

get this, the skirt itself is $421 the rear bumper is $477 thats plus paint. i think i can live with the burnt bumper if he gives me enough to replace the lip. i get my car back monday afternoon from mitsu so i should be able to take it down to him and have my exhaust redone, and while he is at it i might have him just do a catback instead of the axleback. i dont like the fact that my bumper is melted, but the fact that my muffler has burnt plastic makes me a little more angry.

opinions and what not are still welcome until this beast gets fixed.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

take some pics for us...
Old Jun 9, 2006, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

take some pics for us...
+ 1
Old Jun 9, 2006, 11:29 PM
Evolving Member

pics will be up as soon as i get my car back. monday afternoon is the fue date.

also, with the stress crack in my front bumper by my foglight, they said they are going to repair it. its not a little crack either, probably 2 inches long i asked them if its going to happen again after they fix it and they said no it will not. reason they arent replacing the bumper is because it comes in white and the silver will never match the original paint. i told the guy if it cracks again because they did a crappy repair, corporate is going to hear about it over and over until i get something out of them.

the guy in service said that it shouldnt be more than $150 to paint the skirt on it, so im thinking that if the shop gived me $550 it will be even. or $500 and a full catback with a new muffler.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

You should have just ordered the RRM Magnaflow Axel Back Exhaust or Stainless Catback Exhaust which will not warp the rear valance and is a direct bolt on....