Notices

Taillight Problems

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2006, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taillight Problems

Just bought the new blacked out taillights about a week ago and now im experiencing some problems. When I hold the brakes my rear turn signals dont work but they work fine when im not on the brakes and when i put my car in to reverse and am on the brakes it doesnt work but works fine when im off the brakes. This is only on the driver side taillight. I've checked for loose plugs and they're all connected. Is my driver side taillight defective? Oh i also got a CEL and the code was "TR switch". Any idea on wht this code is?
Old Aug 2, 2006, 06:13 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The taillight probably isn't the issue. Are you positive this wasn't happening before the installation? I can't find the exact mention of that CEL code (do you have the number?) but it's probably trying to tell you that a the taillight relay isn't working right. Are your license plate lights working? Under the hood, there's a fuse box and a relay box. Look for relay 21, this is the one that controls the driver's taillight. It also controls the license plate lights (why I asked that.) Check to see if any other lights aren't working, too.

Could you try to clarify the problem a bit? I think you have some run-on thoughts in there, and it's hard to see exactly what your symptoms are. You're only having problems on your driver's taillight?
Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

Yep its only the drivers taillights and this all started after i put on the taillights. They didnt tell me the number they just told me it was a TR switch which ive never heard of. The license plate lights do work.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

Everything works fine until i hit the brakes. For example, the left turn signal turns on as normal. Then when i hit the brakes it goes off, instead the reverse light and the stop lights start flashing in its place. im wondering if its the aftermarket alarm i have. Sometimes my transmission shakes violently when my taillight goes all crazy.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:29 PM
EvoM Administrator

Hrm, something isn't right. Did you install the alarm or did someone do the install. If you had somebody do it, take it back and ask them to check their work. Sounds like something got crossed.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

yea i work at a mitsu dealer so im going to have one of the techs check it out first and see what that TR code is. The alarms been on my car for two yrs and ive never had a problem. Wondering why its acting up now.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:42 PM
EvoM Administrator

Dunno, this is strange, though. I was thinking the alarm was a fresh install. You're positive you put all the bulbs in the right holes and all that?
Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

LOL. There was only one plug so i dont think i got that mixed. Hold on let me check. Yep still one plug
Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

Im going to put the stockers back on to see if it is the electrical system or the taillight itself. Please Please let it be the taillight cause ill run the defective one just because the stockers are so ugly. Nothing really wrong with it just the car gets all confused when i hit the brakes. God damn taillight
Old Aug 3, 2006, 05:23 AM
Evolving Member

Well it turns out that the reverse light wire itself was loose. It looked like depo used some glue gun to connect the wires together . Oh well, i just reconnected everything back together with silicone and what do you know, everythings back to normal
Old Aug 3, 2006, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Okay, but how did that make your transmission shake? That's the part I'm still trying to figure out.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I used to give advice here, but I gave up because Otter is ALWAYSs on top of things.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Im guessing that when my lights went all crazy so did the ecu. I have an automatic transmission so im guessing the ecu didnt know what gear i was in due to the lights being mixed up. Havent had any problems yet, so im gonna say it was the lights causeing the problem with the transmission.