Notices

Balance Shafts?

Old Oct 25, 2006, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Balance Shafts?

Hey whats up everyone, a question to all, do these Ralliarts 4g69 motors have balance shafts, like the dsm's? if so does NE one offer an eliminator kit?? thanks
Old Oct 25, 2006, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RAPPER8521
Hey whats up everyone, a question to all, do these Ralliarts 4g69 motors have balance shafts, like the dsm's? if so does NE one offer an eliminator kit?? thanks
Yes, the 4G69 has balance shafts. I wouldn't be surprised if the kit from a 4G63 fit. I haven't looked at the shop manual that close to compare the bearings and oil pump, but the blocks are *very* similar.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

somebody made a POST of the things that 4g63 and 4g69 are the same, and he said the balance shaft eliminator kit from 4g63 fits the 4g69

but i dont really know hehehe
Old Oct 25, 2006, 05:43 PM
FAV
Evolving Member

the Noob thread adresses this issue, check it out
Old Oct 25, 2006, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what does the eliminator do ??? doesnt these motors need those shafts ??
Old Oct 25, 2006, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silversleeper
doesnt these motors need those shafts ??
No, it doesn't. Their benefit is they balance out a little engine vibration. The drawback is they add rotating mass, complexity, oil usage, and the possibility for the balance shaft belt to break and take out the main valve timing belt.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by egk-69
somebody made a POST of the things that 4g63 and 4g69 are the same, and he said the balance shaft eliminator kit from 4g63 fits the 4g69

but i dont really know hehehe
So who's going to be the guinea(sp?) pig?
Old Oct 25, 2006, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know what the shafts do but what does the eliminator do ????? what is it ? never heard off it??
Old Oct 25, 2006, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

The eliminator kit will have a stubby shaft to replace the shaft the oil pump gear is on, a cap to cover the front case hole where the other shaft was, and a set of bearings to install in the block to cover the oil holes the balance shafts used. That's pretty much it.

Unfortunately, installation requires removal of the front case, timing belt, crank pulley, pretty much everything on the front of the engine. Then you pull out the shafts, pull out the bearings, install the new bearings (or just turn your original bearings and install them so the oil holes DO NOT line up), put your oil pump gear on the stubby shaft, and put the front case back on the block. Plug the hole in the front case, and reassemble the rest of the parts you took off.

It's best to combine this with a timing belt change, since you're taking all that off anyway.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

if someone doesnt hail Myszkewicz right now I will come shoot you with an RPG.

ALL HAIL MYSZ.

and maybe Otter
Old Oct 26, 2006, 05:16 AM
Evolving Member

No RPG needed here....lol

Good info by the way Myszkewicz!
Old Oct 27, 2006, 04:20 AM

Hmm, I Wonder What Kinda Of Results Come About After Doing This Elimination...well Thanks For The Posts Everyone!
Old May 22, 2017, 08:51 PM

Engine removal required?

Hi there!

We just bought a lancer 2.4 4g69 wagon. It's got at this stage minor noise from balance shaft. It had apparently just had timing belt done but noise from timing case led me to get it inspected anyway. Balance shaft belt was too tight. They corrected and now original noise gone but new/previously unheard bearing noise coming from balance shaft.

My my question is: does installing a balance shaft removal kit require the removal of the actual shafts? And if so does the engine need to come out or can it be done in situ?

Mechanic said they can't be removed as one runs off oil pump and the engine has to come out. Sounds like this kit fixes that but just wondering why they didn't suggest it?

Otherwise bought a great car, gutsy manual wagon, low kms (98). Any advice appreciated. Sorry to drag up old post first up!

Cheers

grillzey
Old May 23, 2017, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Removing the balance shafts doesnt require removing the engine. You will just need to lower the engine side down enough to remove the front cover. One of the shafts will be attached to the oil pump, the other will have to be pulled from the block.

You can either leave the firewall side shaft in place to block the oil passages back there, simply remove the small timing belt from it. Or remove it and flip the bearings 180* to block the passages, and remove the shaft entirely.

As for the shaft attached to the oil pump. There is a stubby shaft from a 1.8l mirage that you can rebuild the oil pump with to remove the balance shaft. This process is required to remove the balance shafts. And is a lot of work, and likely why your mechanic said he wouldn't recommend it.

I've done this procedure 4 times now. I like it. Removes points of failure in the timing belt, it frees up rotating mass, and IMO is not noticeable as far as vibrations are concerned.
Old May 23, 2017, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by bakuro117
Removing the balance shafts doesnt require removing the engine. You will just need to lower the engine side down enough to remove the front cover. One of the shafts will be attached to the oil pump, the other will have to be pulled from the block.

You can either leave the firewall side shaft in place to block the oil passages back t here, simply remove the small timing belt from it. Or remove it and flip the bearings 180* to block the passages, and remove the shaft entirely.

As for the shaft attached to the oil pump. There is a stubby shaft from a 1.8l mirage that you can rebuild the oil pump with to remove the balance shaft. This process is required to remove the balance shafts. And is a lot of work, and likely why your mechanic said he wouldn't recommend it.

I've done this procedure 4 times now. I like it. Removes points of failure in the timing belt, it frees up rotating mass, and IMO is not noticeable as far as vibrations are concerned.

Thank you. Yeah I'm not keen to go to all that effort and the mechanic pretty much admitted that the labor would be in the 2-3 k mark. Whereas I Was quoted 3500 for a New engine.

I'm wondering if the mechanic installed the BS belt correctly now. Any tips on how to confirm that it's BS bearing noise and not something else?

Thanks for great advice. Cheers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Balance Shafts?