Notices

port and polishing

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
port and polishing

i heard that if you get this done you can gain like 40 hp...is this true, if so how much would it cost and will it void warrenty...i have tried searching and found nothing...
Old Feb 11, 2007, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

What RoadRace Motorsports is doing now is a full port, polish, valve job etc of our head. i dont think you'll get 40hp out of it but its probably the most beneficial mod for N/A guys.

I believe they were in the $1200-1300 range plus core charge but call them or PM rock for the exact price b/c im basing it off what we discussed while the head was still being done.

The price was a little steep for my bank right now and after looking into just having a basic port done by a shop that was in the 600 range plus then i'd have to polish it myself and give up my car for about 2weeks.

Long story short its alot of money but worth it if you have it and i doubt you'll find anyone who will do a core swap to keep your car on the road, and also doubt any one will do a better job then Rock and his guys.

Edit: also if you do this through RRM think about their new cam to since you'll have the head off already it would be a good time to swap it and probably cahnge your timing belt.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't be surprised with a 15-20% gain from the RRM Head port and polish (also a valve job too....search in the NA thread for the one titled RRM head and cam for details). Add the Intake Manifold port and polish while you are at it.....mmmmmmm.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

You wont gain 40hp from a port polish, not even 20hp, not even 15 hp
talking about whp, but maybe you can pull out 10hp, just port and polish

on my civic h22, with the head, profecionally Port & Polish, valve job and chamber job, I pull out from 185whp before, to 208whp after the Head job

But if it was only port and polish i think it will had like 192-195 whp, Maybe

you have to understand that this will only give you good gain if your stock head SUCKS real bad,

Personally i havent seen a RA head, but i dont think you will gain too much on just port & polish. I think you should port, polish, get a valve job and cut it at .40, that will give you great performance, and more compression, maybe 15-18 whp with some ecu tunning
Old Feb 12, 2007, 05:21 PM

yeah thanks for the replys, i had heard that if i had a port and polish done to the head that i'd get 40 horses easily, i guess that not true, but what ever, no big deal...
Old Feb 12, 2007, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

40 horses hahaha.. if it has some secret N20 stored in the coating lol
Old Feb 12, 2007, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It allows more air to work through your engine. The more mods you have craming the air into the engine, the more air can pass through. Think of it as bigger lungs for your car. The intake lets you inhale more, but with small lungs you can only hold in so much air. With the complete head job, the air flows better, so you get more air rushing in and out of your body. say you have all the NA mods (intake, headers, piggyback, exhaust) than you port your head, your just taking bigger breaths. Now lets say you have TURBO and you port your head. Than your car is gasping for air, and loving every second of it. What im trying to say is, the more mods you have, the more air goes through your ported head, so the more of a gain you'll get....

now theortically speaking. If your All motor ralliart has 185 whp, and than you port your head, you might have 195 whp... only a 10 hp gain...

if your turbo, and you have 260whp, you may bump up to 275hp ... a 15 hp gain.
Theoritcally speaking.

also, if the people doing your head is a professional, they should use a flowbench, to messure how much air went through before the head job, and after the head job, to see how efficiant the job was...
Old Feb 12, 2007, 10:05 PM

sounds like its a very good thing to do, is the price really around 1200 bucks
Old Feb 13, 2007, 03:01 AM
Evolved Member

You probably heard the 40 hp gains from someone talking about a V8. That's most likely what they meant. Just to elaborate a little on what chowetime said earlier and why it was 15 vs 10hp on a n/a vs forced induction engine, when you run ~7-8psi of boost you theoretically add around 50% of your base hp. That's not a guaranteed number just an approximation now. When you gain 10 hp for a naturally aspirated motor and then run 7-8 psi of boost... you get the other 5 hp. Same thing applies to superchargers but unfortunately not for nitrous oxide. So in order to gain 40 hp from the port and polish on our 4g63 you would need some extensive modifications to run extremely high amounts of boost to achieve it! Somewhere around 20-24psi if it would normally add 15 hp or 14-16 psi if it added 20hp. It's not a 'worthless' modification, it's just another facet of upgrading the intake path. Another thing to consider is matching the cfm it flows to your cams to make sure overall performance is complimentary. More flow is not allways better, it can kill your bottom end torque in fact.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But when you have a turbo charged engine, chances are your probly looking for high rpm power, so sacrificing that low end tourque is worth the high end gain, say if your a turbo'd car aiming for a nice 1/4 mile time.