Notices

Starting problem PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2010, 08:22 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Starting problem PLEASE HELP

Ok now it's not really a big problem now but I see it only getting worse so here it is....
When I put the key in to start it doesn't start right up , there's like a 1 second delay between when I turn the key and when the motor starts.Its been like this for around a week or 2 , but today after I fueled up, I turned it and nothing. Not the starter trying or anything, I turned the key back and tried to start it again and started right up...
I have a 6 month old optima battery so it's not that,I'm guessing it could be the alternator but I'm not sure, and help would be appreciated.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 08:57 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Probably need a new starter, as it sounds like either the starter solenoid is failing or the starter itself is starting to seize. Does it click or anything?
Old Aug 9, 2010, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check your starter relay (volt meter) and also check your battery readings.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:13 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Solenoid
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:41 PM

Oops... had too many tabs up... wrong thread. Sorryz

Last edited by HuMmInGBiRd; Aug 9, 2010 at 03:55 PM. Reason: wrong thread. im a noob
Old Aug 9, 2010, 02:12 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Otter .. No it doesn't click at all it either has the second delay then starts or doesn't start. So far it has still started just not right away. Can you post up a replacement diagram for me please?

So what would I have to replace? The starter , the starter solenoid, and the starter relay?? I really don't want to replace all of that if it's not needed. Is there a way I could find out which part it is?

Now that I'm thinking about it the starter going out makes sense.....Thanks guys
Old Aug 9, 2010, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
Otter .. No it doesn't click at all it either has the second delay then starts or doesn't start. So far it has still started just not right away. Can you post up a replacement diagram for me please?

So what would I have to replace? The starter , the starter solenoid, and the starter relay?? I really don't want to replace all of that if it's not needed. Is there a way I could find out which part it is?

Now that I'm thinking about it the starter going out makes sense.....Thanks guys
Starter solenoid is to be considered the "on switch" for the starter. That's built into the starter motor which is behind the exhaust manifold. If you look in your engine bay fuses box....you see the long skinny box next to the big one...that first big relay closest to the front of the car is the starter relay. Those relays are essentially big magnets...when they start to malfunction they do very weird thing. You can test the relay and battery with a volt meter...which every modder should own.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 04:23 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Thanks I'll check it out but the problem seems to have stopped for the rest of yesterday anyway. I started the car 5-6 times doing things on my to do list but haven't had the problem ?...thanks again guys hopefully it stays this way ....
Old Aug 10, 2010, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Hmm if it stops and comes back it's leading me to believe it's a sensor. Those things gradually fade and symptoms can be sporadic.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Disconnect the power and ground leads at the starter/solenoid and clean off all corrosion thoroughly with fine sandpaper then wash with brake cleaner. This has fixed similar strange hard-starting problems I've dealt with on all makes of cars.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 09:02 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Thanks I'll try it out , I checked the relay and it's good so I'm thinking it's the starter it's self. I have I'd say most of my driving has been short distances so alot of starting and going which makes me think it's the starter but I don't want to fix it unless it's broke. The cheapest but still quality starter I've seen is about 200 bucks shipped with the core deposit. Anyone know of any better?
Old Aug 10, 2010, 09:10 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Cant they test your starter at autozone? Just spitballin here.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 09:25 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

I googled it and it says yes they can but I'm still searching to see if I have to remove it or if it can be on the car and be tested??
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:25 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Give em a ring
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:49 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
If you're feeling adventurous you can test a starter yourself using a set of jumper cables. Not recommended if you don't know what you're doing, though

Quick Reply: Starting problem PLEASE HELP