Notices

Mitsu ad about cams

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2004, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsu ad about cams

I'm reading a Mitsu ad about how they added extra lobes to the Ralliart.

"More lobes let more air into the engine..."

Am I missing something? I don't see how adding lobes is going to do diddly-sh*t. The lobes that affect the valves are the only ones that matter, who cares if there are more lobes in-between those lobes? Aren't they just spinning in free air?
Old Jan 13, 2004, 04:03 AM
Evolving Member

I hate to be the riceboy to brings up vtec... but you should read about how it works and you'll see how they can help. I'm guessing its a similar variable valve timing/ lift electronic control sort of thing...

Not sure if thats the ralliart has but I can't think of another reason why you would add lobes to a cam without shifting to use them =P
Old Jan 13, 2004, 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

Wrong forum.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Could just be a really awful press release or perhaps translated from a Japanese source. If anything they're just trying to get the point of high lift or a longer duration cam across. That or maybe something along the lines of the head tweaks the RSX-S gets over the base version.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 03:42 PM

The Ralliart does have MIVEC, Mitsubishi Innovative Valve Electronic lift and timing Control, but I don't know how this technology works. I suppose, upon reflection, that if the cam were to move sideways, the extra lobes between the main lobes could come into play.

If you look at the picture of the camshaft, it looks like there are only four main lobes, that is, ones with high lift. Between these there are 5 lobes!!, for a total of 24 lobes on the cam.

Maybe the cam does move sideways, or maybe the Ralliart is 6 valve/cylinder car...
Old Jan 13, 2004, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

it does have an extra lobe on the shaft and at a preset time the cam shaft is moved so that the "extra" lobes now work the valves, thus changing the duration and lift of the valves.

it works like having a different cam but only during certain RPM ranges.