Notices

How does your RA drive?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2004, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does your RA drive?

So im wondering if anyone else is having the problem that I am.

When driving the car in a straight line, it seems as if i have to keep over correcting the car to drive straight. Im not sure if this is just how the car dirve, or if Im in need of an alignment. When crusing up the highway it seems that my car kinda zig zags, instead of driving strainght. It has a very "sloshy" feel, Like this...
(Left and right | are the road, where / or \ is the drive path of the car)

| / |
| \ |
| / |
| \ |
| / |
| \ |

Does anyone else have this problem? I think that it could be releate to the skinny tires that are on the car. It also seems to be REALLY effected by even the slighted gust of wind. One little blow and i get a really hard push.

Im thinking about putting new rims and wheels on this car anyway. Maybe I should go with a wider wheel base. What do you guys think??

One more thing, I got the upgraded stereo system in my RA. I have a bad rattle noise comming from the wires that connect to the power windows buttons on the drivers side door. They are not secure and are bouncing off the plastic trim and making a bad noise. Anyone else got that anoying problem? Im about ready to RIP the damn door off and wrap the wires up in foam to fix this. It will not be long before that happens. Just as soon as it gets warmer outsite to work on the car.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

I too seem to have gotten a mild case of crappy alignment from the factory. I think that is all it is, mine seems to want to drift off to the left all the time. It is not as drastic by any means as what you are explaining, but I get it a little bit too. I don't think factory alignments on any car are very good usually, but when I get my new tires put on, maybe new wheels, I will get them aligned from a good shop.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 10:05 AM

I'd make them realign the car. Seems to do that sometimes to me especially if it's windy but my Talon does it sometimes also, but like what was said earlier, I don't factory alignment jobs are all that great since they have to several cars in a given day and they just get it close to spec but not as close as a regular tire shop would.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 10:15 AM
XRS
Evolving Member

Yo, when I picked up my 02 Mirage Coupe, it pulled to the left also. I brought it to the dealership and this is their explaination. When the vehicle is delivered, they chain the car on the control arms. Because of the shifting of the car when its on the trailer, it sometimes causes the wheels to go off alignment and they said that it should align back after being driven. Now, I had about 50 Miles on the odometer when I brought it in. They told me to bring it back to align if it doesn't straighten out by 1000 miles. In my case, it didn't align so I brought it back. I believe it is covered by warranty within a certain amount of mileage for alignment.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 10:20 AM

Well when you took it back did it fix it or not. I don't know why they said it would realign it self. That just sounds like laziness to me. I really do think it has to do with the alignment and not the car it self.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

I have a pull also....just haven't taken it into the dealer yet....guess i should get that done.....this is only my second brand new car, but i'd expect it to drive perfectly straight, or darn near.......in regards to tires...yes, they are skinny....definately could stand to be wider when i burn out the other ones....
Old Jan 16, 2004, 11:44 AM
Dew

Mine doesn't do it to the extent that yours does drum, but I always get my tires realigned every 2-3k miles, I'm just **** about it because I drive over crappy roads everyday. Yeah bigger tires give you less slip, but sounds like alignment to me, which is extremely easy to fix.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 11:57 AM

About 1/3 of all new cars have allignment problems with them. Just take it too the dealer and they will be happy to get it "straighten" out for you. It is covered by the warrenty
Old Jan 16, 2004, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah my RA was doing the same one day. I was pissed thinking it was an alignment issue as well until I saw this Civic infront of me nearly shooting off the highway. Then I realized it was just heavy winds. Winds were 30+ mph that day and at stock height you really feel the wind coming up under the car. Suicide slam your RA and that'll fix it hehe
Old Jan 16, 2004, 12:41 PM

One more thing

One more thing, I got the upgraded stereo system in my RA. I have a bad rattle noise comming from the wires that connect to the power windows buttons on the drivers side door. They are not secure and are bouncing off the plastic trim and making a bad noise. Anyone else got that anoying problem? Im about ready to RIP the damn door off and wrap the wires up in foam to fix this. It will not be long before that happens. Just as soon as it gets warmer outsite to work on the car.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

Up north here, I noticed that mine kinda pulls to the left as well. I washed the undercarrage of the car of to remove any snow and it still pulled a little. I'll wait till spring then make the dealer fix it. All I know is I had a 90' Beretta GTZ Quad 4 w41spec motor, custom intake, Dynomax super turbo 2 muffler, and other mods done to it and my 04 ralliart feels faster. I can't wait for some parts. Kick some local Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Nissan ***!!!
Old Jan 27, 2004, 03:20 PM

the pull might just be the road, and maybe your just not used to driving a car with sport suspension? And of course the RA is faster the the beretta I traded in my dusty old beretta for my RA mostly because its made of alot lighter materials and is supposed to be a sporty car where as the beretta is not.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 04:28 PM

You know the more I pay attention to it I think it's more the road because my Talon does the samething on the same roads. Also the steering is a lot more responsive than my Talon, just the slight move of the steering wheel and the wheels move. Since I've been driving it more I don't really have a problem with it anymore. I do love how responsive it is, the suspension is way better than my Talon, I never realized how soft the Talon's suspension was. The designed this car to be responsive and let me tell you it is.
Old May 15, 2004, 10:18 PM

drum god. just to let you know im having the same problem big time i have 3 different reciepts now that i am saving im bringing mine back in to service onmay23 .i hold the wheel
straght and it goes right.i already had my alignment done
twice tires rotaded changed then checked.im going crazy with this. tell me if you continue to have the same problem. if this problem.persists after i bring it back again which im sure it will.im going to the california lemon law. and spending the 2 grand to get my 9 i already have in it.i put 9 grand down.ive had mine for 4 months
Old May 15, 2004, 10:24 PM

i have noticed that when i gun my ralliart it hauls *** but not quite enough.but thats all i had in my budget.