Notices

Elm 327 Bluetooth OBD-II's and Apps!

Old Mar 2, 2012, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elm 327 Bluetooth OBD-II's and Apps!

So I figured that I would make a thread about this, since I started it in another helping another out. If you have an Iphone, Ipad or Ipod touch (2nd gen and up) and have no android devices then this will help you out tremendously! Android devices have it easier, your device will work with a Bluetooth OBD-II right "Out of the Box" per say. You just need an app

Requirements:
-Jailbroken Apple device (will not state how to do this)
-Elm 327 Bluetooth (Got mine off Amazon for 20$)
-roqyBT4 and roqyOBD on the Cydia app (Modmyi Repo, I believe its a standard one from jailbreaking)
-OBD-II App
-This can be a couple of different apps. I Test before I buy, so I had cracked apps. So one of them didn't work correctly. I do own the one I use.
-Lastly a willing vehicle

Apps: *All the apps had a little delay in updating live stats*
-DashCommand $49.99 (Last update Feb 2012)
-Great little app after setting it up and entering my vehicle information; anything from Engine displacement to fuel type/tank size, to maximum/minimum enigine speed, and the list goes on. So its nice to enter this info and allow the app to fine tune everything
-Connection took a couple tries to pair up, once connected I went to the "Dashboards" where it gives you the stats. It all worked nicely, I liked following my intake temperature.
-Sadly after playing with it, I proceded to try another app called Rev, after this DashCommand no longer works. It connects but it will not state anything except for coolant temperature and intake temperature.
-Rev 2.0 $39.99 (Last Update Jan. 2010)
Since this was a cracked App it will not work properly. You can get it to connect but all the stats will be locked at 33, this is a anti-pirate feature. I don't want to buy it and it not working. So you guys can go ahead and try this if you want. It connects very fast once you change the IP for the bluetooth though.
-FUZZYCar $4.99 (Last update Feb. 2010)
-Super simple setup, not too flashy and does everything the other apps do with a very low price! Connects to the car usually on the 2nd attempt. It also seems to connect easier if you have your WiFi turned off. Clearing codes is easy and simple, just tap the engine symbol and it will let you know what it is, and what it means.
There are other Apps in the store but they don't allow for custom IP's which is crucial for the bluetooth. This is because Apple likes to control their stuff. So I bought FUZZYCar and use it a lot, just to log my mpg with ease and just to see how hot stuff normal gets and to just watch other "Gauges" move

Now to set everything up! Within roqyBT4 go to configuration, change the OBD to PLX Kiwi. Then for the Device Pin you may have to try multiple codes:
1234 (Worked for Me)
Under Automatic pairing turn this on
Go back to the first screen where the Device list is at, and select your OBDII and it should connect, it should pop up with an engine symbol.
*Please make sure the car is on first*

Now within the app you chose to use, (any of the 3 above) and go into their settings.
Ip Adress: 127.0.0.1
Port: 35000
Fuzzycar- This is under the configure scanner
Rev-
DashCommand- Settings- OBD interface type (select Elm), then change the OBD data port to the IP and port numbers above

After all that everything should work! If anyone needs help with this just ask

UPDATE!!!!

I no longer have an iPhone or any other Apple products. I still love their designs, but I got tired of having to hack the device to get things to work. So I switched to the darkside...Android. I'll update this thread with what I use for my droid and I'll give feedback! I can also try to help people if they still need it with their iPhone though.

Last edited by Darewood; Jun 30, 2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
If you have a phone that runs Symbian operating system, OBDScope is really good...
Old Mar 2, 2012, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Wow that's quite interesting, never really thought they had anything for non apple or android device.

I'm sorry I had to chuckle when I went to the site, I clicked on a link and it took me to a place to aquire a green card
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
I have the Kiwi Bluetooth OBD-II dongle. And I use the Torque app for android. I have it running on my phone and on a nook color that I have running android. Im hoping to find a way to mount the nook so that it can always be in there. Havent found a layout that im in love with yet though.

As for the app it is amazing. It graphs just about any combination of things you want. It can read and help diagnose CEL codes. And then has a several pages of gauges that you can custom make the layouts, styles, gauge type, and has a massive library of readings.

It also does estimated horsepower readings. And while not entirely accurate to a dyno it can be helpful to get ideas on HP and the differences between you and a friend.

Torque = Awesome!

Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

I got a ELM327 on order, expecting it any day now (been shipped since the 12th of last month). I will be using it with the Torque App on my Google Nexus Android phone until I get an Android tablet fiber-glassed into my dash

I can make a video of it as soon as I get the module, if anybody wants to see it in a RA, but there are already loads of them on YouTube which portray the exact same thing.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by stockley1234
I will be using it with the Torque App on my Google Nexus Android phone until I get an Android tablet fiber-glassed into my dash .
Wow that sounds amazing, can you get me one also
Old Mar 3, 2012, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Darewood
Wow that sounds amazing, can you get me one also
As long as you travel to Newfoundland and pay for materials.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

Just received my ELM327 today and it works awesome (again, I am using Torque Pro on my Google Nexus). I immediately went out and cleared stored codes from my brothers 04 Si (EX in U.S) and then went for a run in my car with it. There is a little lag but that was expected being Bluetooth.

I`m having the same problem as Bakuro above and finding it hard to get a good layout. If anyone comes across one that they like, they should throw up what it is, it may be a good base for others, such as myself and Bakuro.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

I played with it a little today. Couldn't figure out how to see the estimated HP though.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 04:37 PM

video of elmscan in action:

this is elmscan 5 (wired) with the software that came with it.

Last edited by chucknasty; Mar 7, 2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by soulesswarrior
I played with it a little today. Couldn't figure out how to see the estimated HP though.
yea...I couldn't get my estimated HP or Torque either. I looked up some random videos of the app and they had estimations...

Also Chuck, I maximized the video, and when I was done watchging I attempted to push the minimize button...sadly it doesn't work when its not a "Real" browser and only a video haha.

Was it slow like that in real time? Or was it due to the recording?

Last edited by Darewood; Mar 7, 2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:06 PM

that was recorded in real time so yes. if i could find better software it would fix that since minimum refresh time is like 5 seconds.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by soulesswarrior
If your talking about torque and you haven't messed with any of the layouts or anything you need to first off setup your "vehicle profile". So from the home screen press your menu button and "vehicle profile" you'll then need to fill out your car's information. do it to the best of your knowledge, exact measurements aren't 100% needed afterall this is just a HP estimate. Once thats done save it ant make sure its selected as your current profile. If your not using the correct profile you wont get as accurate a reading. Then from the homescreen go to "realtime information". So long as you havent changed the layout you can swipe to the next page which is right of the one is starts you in. You should have a screen with six squares. They should be 0-60mph, 0-100kph, 1/4m time, 1/8m time, HP, and Revs. Give your car a drag run with this screen up and you should get a reading in the HP box.

If you dont see the HP box you can always tap a blank spot and hold it till the Item Options box appears then touch add display. Choose how you want your reading displayed. For HP I prefer the Digital Display. Then everything is in alphabetical order just scroll down to Horsepower and touch it. That should add it to your screen.

I hope this helps a bit!

Old Jun 30, 2012, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

UPDATE!!!!

I no longer have an iPhone or any other Apple products. I still love their designs, but I got tired of having to hack the device to get things to work. So I switched to the darkside...Android. I'll update this thread with what I use for my droid and I'll give feedback! I can also try to help people if they still need it with their iPhone though.

Question for the Mods if they see this, should I make a separate thread for the Droid or just build upon this one at the top?
Old Jun 30, 2012, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Darewood
UPDATE!!!!

Question for the Mods if they see this, should I make a separate thread for the Droid or just build upon this one at the top?
Thanks for the update/bump. I'm very interested in this topic. I have a jailbreaked iphone. I'll read this topic again later

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Elm 327 Bluetooth OBD-II's and Apps!