Notices

Need help ASAP with this mystery!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You sure you don't have a six volt battery in it? hahaha.. Have them test the alt if it fails get another one have them test it out the box if it works than your car kills it I'd have to say gremlins...

When you say free battery do you mean used? I'd have the battery tested as well make sure they charge it to 12.6 volts before testing the battery

Last edited by RacerX-Ralliart; Jun 12, 2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd check things in that order :

1- Check charging system fuses.
2- Voltage at battery borns. Should be around 14V when on and a little under 12V when off.
2- Positive and negative borns on the battery (loose cable or corrosion).
3- Positive lead on the alternator (solidly tightened, no shorts, wiring not bent).
4- If it all fails, have batt and alt load tested.
3- Check your eyesight with a doctor. You're clearly reading the numbers all wrong.

Hope this helps.

Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cranswick
is the serpentine belt still there? Lol
lmfao
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by NJRalliart
lmfao
it was a joke, come on...
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Good list. I'll check off what I've done so far.
1.Checked all fuses and everything is working through the light tester.
2.Voltage at battery OFF was 9.75, varying. Voltage when ON it dropped to 6V.
Now when I had the battery charging with the cables still on and it read at 13V. I'll do it again tomorrow and take a video of everything being checked and tested
3. Wires not bent and it's bolted down nice and tight but not enough to crack the plastic part( I did that before on my previous car lol)
4.tomorrow I'm going to bring both the battery and alternator to be checked.
5. Eyes are good to go, my eyesight is corrected 20/20 lol.

Also when I say free battery, autozone covers their batteries for 3 years. So I exchanged the bad battery for a brand spanking new battery lol.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

9.75 is a completely dead battery 12.7 100% 12.4 75% 12.2 50% 11.98 20%... The reason why your reading 13v when jumping is cause your reading the voltage coming from jumpers.. The reason why it drops to 6 is cause the car is running just off the battery once you remove the jumpers
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nc_bboy
Good list. I'll check off what I've done so far.
1.Checked all fuses and everything is working through the light tester.
2.Voltage at battery OFF was 9.75, varying. Voltage when ON it dropped to 6V.
Now when I had the battery charging with the cables still on and it read at 13V. I'll do it again tomorrow and take a video of everything being checked and tested
3. Wires not bent and it's bolted down nice and tight but not enough to crack the plastic part( I did that before on my previous car lol)
4.tomorrow I'm going to bring both the battery and alternator to be checked.
5. Eyes are good to go, my eyesight is corrected 20/20 lol.

Also when I say free battery, autozone covers their batteries for 3 years. So I exchanged the bad battery for a brand spanking new battery lol.
9.75V on the batt isn't a good sign. Either you have something pulling alot of current even with the car off, or the batt is dead/dying. Or it does not charge.

If you get that 6V when the engine is running, the alt isn't charging at all. It happens that rebuilt/new alt die quickly after the install, that's why they give warranties :P. If you get it started with booster cables, it runs fine, and as soon as you unplug the booster cables it dies, I'm 90% sure it's the alternator. That is if the wiring/fuses are good.

Some shop like Autozone should have the load tester, or practically any garage. Get the batt load tested. Sometimes, the alt/batt fault only shows when under load, so testing it out of the car might not show any symptoms.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Yea the batt doesn't have a charge cause his alt isnt charging the battery and he ran the car on jus the batt so it drained it down.. If the alt is still in the car if you want check voltage coming from positive post of alt. while the car is on should have told you to do this from the start sorry.. Voltage at the post of alt means open in the circuit no voltage bad alt.. It comes down to finding the root cause of this problem why did the alt go bad? I think your alt was bad when they first tested it than you got a new battery and everything was fine until you drained the battery than put a new alt without charging the battery and since the alt is mainly used to maintain a battery not charge it up from 9v the alt tried and up the voltage to charge it and fried itself.. Just a thought?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you notice that the battery charges up by itself after sitting overnight, it's the alternator. If the dash lights blink like a Christmas tree it's the alternator.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

The car has been sitting there overnight but I'll plug it up and the alternator is still in the car. Where is the postive post on the alt? I know where it's grounded but not sure of the positive post.
The battery is unplugged, because I was going to take it with the alternator to autozone but a severe thunderstorm came out of nowhere yesterday lol.
So I'll just bring both tomorrow, have the battery charged and tested. Then I'll have the alternator tested.

Also racerx that sounds about right.
Alternator tested good so they gave me a new battery.
I didn't notice anything wrong driving on the way home so it drained the battery.
It starts happening again so I get the alternator tested, it fails and I get the new alternator. It fries it self trying to keep the car going with an already dead battery. So in the end I have a bad alternator and battery, let's hope this is it. Haha. I'll let you guys know tomorrow.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Damn that sucks its hot over here about 90.. It's covered by the black plastic on the alt..
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Wait right in front of the electrical connection right? I thougt that was the ground. Or is it on the side under the black plastic?

It's like 90 something today but it was pretty random yesterday lol.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

Ok guys I just noticed something,I checked the voltage on the battery with the negative cable on and the battery was at 10.15V and basically dying. It looked like it was counting down. Took off the negative cable, checked the voltage and it jumped up to 11.22 exactly. What does this mean??

Ok I think I got a bad alternator because after I removed it, I plugged the battery up checked the voltage jumped up to 11.22V. I'm going to bring it in and get it fully charged though

Last edited by nc_bboy; Jun 13, 2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

Ok alternator passed...going to get the battery fully charged, put it on the car and let's hope it's fixed. The autozone guy kept saying something about it possibly something with the ignition, but what are the sypmptons for that? Lol sounds like BS but we'll see
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like the alt is drawing power from the battery.. (parasitic draw power being drawn while the keys off)

If the problem persist Check voltage coming from alt at the post if its not putting out voltage it's bad Unless its hooked up wrong

Last edited by RacerX-Ralliart; Jun 13, 2012 at 07:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help ASAP with this mystery!!!!!!!