Notices

First Post: Master Clutch Cyl Replacement

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Post: Master Clutch Cyl Replacement

Hey everyone,

I have been lurking and studying the how to found here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04-06-ralliart-how-s-installations/665085-how-replace-clutch-master-cylinder.html

But finally decided to introduce myself and ask a question. I drive an 06 RA - bought it at 86k miles and now up to 110. It has served me wonderfully. My first Mitsubishi - but it will definitely not be my last. I don't think I will ever leave the Lancer.

My clutch stopped working and turned out to be the MCC. I have removed it, but I am having difficulty with the 17mm Banjo Bolt as described in the link above.

It has a hole drilled clean through it to allow fluid to flow through from the MCC to the Slave Cylinder, however, no matter how I screw it on, the holes do not align with the hole in the clutch line hose fitting.

It sure seems that this is something that should be aligned. Right?

It is a PAIN to get the MCC back in place! Any suggestions on the job?

Thanks everyone in advance.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
it doesn't matter, it's banjo fitting...the "banjo" has a channel inside to allow flow...orientation of the hole in the bolt is irrelevant...

should have got the 2.0L lancer/Evo master cylinder....much easier to remove/install, and less likely to fail...it doesn't have that stupid plate on the side...that o-ring fails, and you're SOL. what I do is tie twine or fine rope to the piston arm, and run that through the firewall, then up and back out the driver side door, then I can tug on the rope with one hand while wiggling the master cylinder into place with the other...but the Evo CMC is smaller, and far easier to install...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Apr 20, 2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 08:03 PM

Thanks for the info. If I ever replace it again I'll look at the evo mcc.

I eventually did get this one in and reconnected. All better now.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

did you make the correct adjustment? very important...
Old Apr 24, 2015, 08:05 AM

Do you mean adjusting the clutch pedal? Its serviceable but not quite perfect. I'm going to look at it this weekend. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

adjust to manufacturer specification and you shouldn't have any problems...if you need the procedure, PM me...

two things you don't want, and are both the result of an improperly adjusted clutch pedal are; clutch not fully disengaging, resulting in excessive clutch wear, as well as excessive synchronizer wear, and clutch being disengaged too much, resulting in excessive wear on the release bearing and possible damage to the pressure plate diaphragm...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Apr 25, 2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
adjust to manufacturer specification and you shouldn't have any problems...if you need the procedure, PM me...

two things you don't want, and are both the result of an improperly adjusted clutch pedal are; clutch not fully disengaging, resulting in excessive clutch wear, as well as excessive synchronizer wear, and clutch being disengaged too much, resulting in excessive wear on the release bearing and possible damage to the pressure plate diaphragm...
Message sent. Thanks for the offer to help!