Notices

Why does everyone underestimate the reliability of a mitsubishi.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why does everyone underestimate the reliability of a mitsubishi.

Guys let me know what you think, but I always find that people usually praise HONDA for its reliability when i feel Mitsubishi has the same reliability compared to them. Like is it true that mitsubishi apparently are not reliable. Personally I feel both manufacturers have the same reliability.

Let me know what you guys think. Kinda confused.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
cause people don't change their timing belts...evidently, Honda timing belts must be more reliable...
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
People stick to what they know.
"Honda has been around for decades whereas Mitsubishi is just some new fangled fly by night brand that started in 2003."
BTW, people also tend to be ignorant so be glad if you've been enlightened by the three diamonds and enjoy the exclusivity that it offers.

Have a look at Mitsubishi outside of North America and you will find that there are plenty Mitsubishi vehicles older than you still driving well in this world.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Most guys here beat the living **** out of their Lancers and nothing happens, the design and engineering are proper. These things are very reliable. btw, isn't Mitsu the oldest Japanese manufacturer? And they have huge corporate divisions in all manner of other manufacturing areas, so the technical bleed-through to the automotive sector totally benefits us.

Any marque fails when subjected to total neglect and ignorance of maintenance. Even then, Mitsu holds up better than most.

Last edited by RalliartN; Jun 16, 2015 at 06:22 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by RalliartN
Most guys here beat the living **** out of their Lancers and nothing happens, the design and engineering are proper. These things are very reliable. btw, isn't Mitsu the oldest Japanese manufacturer? And they have huge corporate divisions in all manner of other manufacturing areas, so the technical bleed-through to the automotive sector totally benefits us.

Any marque fails when subjected to total neglect and ignorance of maintenance. Even then, Mitsu holds up better than most.
Hey buddy if you can post a picture of your car in this thread it would be good. Your mods seem bad ***. Or link me to the page where you have pictures. It looks bad *** on paper.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Mitsubishi makes a whole bunch of stuff, and it's not junk...like large aircraft assemblies for Bombardier Aerospace here in Canada. they made fighter aircraft when Honda wasn't even a company yet...and they were making cars well before that...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Model_A

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Jun 16, 2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by RalliartN
Most guys here beat the living **** out of their Lancers and nothing happens, the design and engineering are proper.
This...

Not only are they reliable, but I have yet to see a mitsu that is as difficult to maintenance and service as many brands out there nowadays.

Its not just the brand that's underestimated. There are platforms designed by mitsu that go underestimated as well. The 4g69 engine is one of those, people look right over because its not a 4g63. Then there are the other cars under different brands, Dodge Stratus, certain Hyundai models including the genesis coupe which essentially contains an evo X engine. Think back to the DSM days for more, eagle, plymouth, chrystler and others. Would so many companies use engine and vehicle designs from mitsubishi if they had any feeling it would do anything but live up to - or raise their standard? Hell there wouldn't be a dodge ram line anymore if mitsubishi hadn't saved them with the mighty max platform.

Mitsu is more than reliable. But as with anything they require maintnance from time to time. But id gladly own a mitsu over most cars on the road.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

and DSM's are only unreliable because it's so easy to make 450hp on a stock motor even 25 years later, and lots people do it...lol! not many cars are designed to reliably make 450hp
Old Jun 17, 2015, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kouroshb26
Hey buddy if you can post a picture of your car in this thread it would be good. Your mods seem bad ***. Or link me to the page where you have pictures. It looks bad *** on paper.
Thanks for the compliment. Lots of RA guys have wilder stuff than I do, most of mine is handling related. Many of my mods are in the How To section with lots of pics, just search my name (example: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...hood-vent.html). I guess I should update this weekend in the Lightning Yellow pic section anway.

Last edited by RalliartN; Jun 17, 2015 at 05:14 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:52 AM

That looks amazing. Gotta say you are all mechanics/engineers at heart. I desire the fact that I can mod a car to make it my own. That looks cool man.

Thanks guys. Gonna join the 05-Ralliart family soon. Just give me a week. MITSU FTW.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 12:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's the combination of reliability, sportiness, and value of Mitsubishi vehicles which attracts my family to their vehicles. Currently we have 3 Mitsubishis: 08 Lancer, 11 RVR, and 05 RA. We used to own a 00 Dion, a 7 seater FWD minivan when we lived in Hong Kong.

Overall, we can't complain about reliability of their vehicles, except for that time when the battery died on the RA.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 08:42 AM

Damn son I have the same thing almost. I just bought a 05 ralliart SO I AM OFFICIALY IN THE FAMILY. My brother has a 08 lancer and my parents have a 04 endevour.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 08:54 AM

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Here is a why...a little engine known as the G54B (or 4G54 as some know it).

An engine that started life as a diesel that ran on propane, it was converted to gas in the late 1970s through the 1980s, and even turbocharged in the Starion with a very, even then, outdated fuel injection system (Throttle body with two injectors), in everything else it was given an electronically adjusted carburetor that didn't work from day one. During this time, they put that engine in everything.

Since that engine was in everything, and the carbs sucked, and the turbo engines had notorious head cracking and rod bearing failures, as well as lean cylinder 1 and 4 issues due to the TBI system, Mitsubishi got a bad reputation.

Then bring on the 3000GT/Stealth R/T. An expensive, horrible to work on car that required frequent maintenance at a high cost, so people didn't, so they broke a lot.

However, the 4G63 was their success. An engine that came out in the early 80s as a SOHC engine, but was used as the lower power non turbo version in the United States.

The Starion in all other countries was graced with this much better engine with Multi port injection and was far more reliable and capable of more power. It wasn't until the DSM years and the early Lancers that Mitsubishi really made a statement of reliability and power by bringing this engine to the US.

Unfortunately, the 80s weren't that long ago and a lot of people remember. For the younger generations, we do no remember it unless we have owned these cars and dealt with it.

I mean, I have owned three Starions and I love them and I love Mitsu...but a 4G63/4 is a much needed swap in one. I now have an Evo X, so I'm hoping the 4B11 proves itself as well as the 4G has.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 06:57 PM

Guys it is official. I am part of the family.

Old Jun 18, 2015, 07:46 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
if comparing to a honda: Hondas can be treated and maintained very poorly and still work. i can't explain it, but it's true. as for Mitsu, maybe not so much.
plus, there is more knowledge of Honda stuff out there... so it gets around and makes it's way to everyone. Mitsu info isn't as readily available.
that's my theory anyway.
in general, Hondas are very reliable, though, for 100,000s of miles. no doubting that.

Quick Reply: Why does everyone underestimate the reliability of a mitsubishi.