Notices

In need of a 5 speed transmission

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In need of a 5 speed transmission

I am in need of a 5 speed transmission for a 2004 Ralliart Lancer 2.4. My throwout beating broke and a bearing put a hole into the casing. Trans works just leaks like a faucet!

My son gave me the car. I can not afford much I am disabled. I just want to be able to drive it again before my knees are to weak to allow me to push the clutch pedal in. I am a grandma and 58. When I can not drive it any longer I will pass it to my Grandson. He gets his licenses in February.
So if anyone knows where I can get one, please let me know!
Thanks everyone
Old Apr 20, 2017, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum...

Transmissions are becoming increasingly harder to come by...especially with low miles...I keep an eye out from time to time for spares...

The best place to find stuff like that is car-part.com, it's a database of all major auto wreckers/salvage (some smaller operations will not be listed, so you may have to call around to local yards.) I ran a search for you, and it only came up with one in all of NC, it's in Grifton, NC (Hugo Auto Sales) and they want $600 for it with 160,000 miles...Seems pretty steep to me, considering it may need synchros and/or bearings and seals...You say you're disabled, so obviously you're not going to be the one replacing the transmission, but whether you buy a replacement or get that one repaired, the cost could be substantial if it's being done by a shop...my bet would be the car isn't worth much more than what you'll pay in labor cost. I would maybe ask a local transmission shop if they have the means to repair a transmission case...or they may at least know someone who could weld or braze a repair or patch...At least get an estimate on the job, so you have an idea.

My advice, get your grandson to take care of it...it would be nice to be able to give him a reliable running car, but realistically it may cost less to just buy a different car if you're paying someone to do the work for you...do you have friends or family with the space, proper tools and equipment to replace a transmission? It could be a very rewarding learning experience...And if he needs help with anything, he can google it, or come here...I even have a video on youtube on how to disassemble the 5 speed lancer transmission...

brand new transmissions, if there are even any left are north of $2,500...and I haven't seen many used/salvaged for less than $600...not to mention they're almost unicorns now...

Automatics on the other hand are EVERYWHERE...
Old May 21, 2017, 04:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
Hi, welcome to the forum...

Transmissions are becoming increasingly harder to come by...especially with low miles...I keep an eye out from time to time for spares...

The best place to find stuff like that is car-part.com, it's a database of all major auto wreckers/salvage (some smaller operations will not be listed, so you may have to call around to local yards.) I ran a search for you, and it only came up with one in all of NC, it's in Grifton, NC (Hugo Auto Sales) and they want $600 for it with 160,000 miles...Seems pretty steep to me, considering it may need synchros and/or bearings and seals...You say you're disabled, so obviously you're not going to be the one replacing the transmission, but whether you buy a replacement or get that one repaired, the cost could be substantial if it's being done by a shop...my bet would be the car isn't worth much more than what you'll pay in labor cost. I would maybe ask a local transmission shop if they have the means to repair a transmission case...or they may at least know someone who could weld or braze a repair or patch...At least get an estimate on the job, so you have an idea.

My advice, get your grandson to take care of it...it would be nice to be able to give him a reliable running car, but realistically it may cost less to just buy a different car if you're paying someone to do the work for you...do you have friends or family with the space, proper tools and equipment to replace a transmission? It could be a very rewarding learning experience...And if he needs help with anything, he can google it, or come here...I even have a video on youtube on how to disassemble the 5 speed lancer transmission...

brand new transmissions, if there are even any left are north of $2,500...and I haven't seen many used/salvaged for less than $600...not to mention they're almost unicorns now...

Automatics on the other hand are EVERYWHERE...
Apparently, the automatics don't break at anywhere near the rate of the 5 speeds.

I'm not an expert on this, but have seen lots of questions about broken transmissions​ on this forum, and don't remember any of those being automatics.

I agree that a repair may not make sense financially.