Notices

Mass airflow sensor failures

Old Jan 22, 2018, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mass airflow sensor failures

Hey guys,

Has anyone had issues with the mass air flow sensors in these cars. I've had two fail within the last 62 days. Same conditions both time. No symptoms, then they just totally fail under WOT around redline. The car dies and won't restart. It throws no codes, but unplugging the MAF and keeping the gas pedal down will sometimes limp the car a few miles. I've got a new sensor on the way, just wondering if anyone else has had multiple issues? I'm debating buying an OEM sensor from a junkyard and keeping this aftermarket in the trunk as a spare.

By the way, the first failure was OEM and it lasted 14 years, he second was Walker brand, and lasted 2 months. May be good to avoid Walker as Amazon had another similar review.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
What kind of intake are you running? How about the air filter? Have you traced the wires to see if any are pinched or exposed on the harness? And are you sure it hasnt thrown any codes? Ive seen people buy these cars with the LED for the CEL removed so sometimes you have to scan it just to be sure.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bakuro117
What kind of intake are you running? How about the air filter? Have you traced the wires to see if any are pinched or exposed on the harness? And are you sure it hasnt thrown any codes? Ive seen people buy these cars with the LED for the CEL removed so sometimes you have to scan it just to be sure.
I'm running a factory intake tube, but with the air box cut off and replaced with a cone filter. The wiring harness looks okay, but I haven't traced it all the way to the ECU since it works fine with a new sensor installed. The cel works, because it came on when I unplugged the MAF to limp the car home. It just had no codes when I scanned it originally, despite starting and dying about 15 times. It's definitely a bad sensor, it just seems weird that they both failed in the exact same conditions. I'm probably going to track down an OEM sensor and keep the aftermarket as a backup.