Notices

Hope this is normal

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2004, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope this is normal

Ok, here is a sound I've heard for a while, though I don't know if it was always there. When my car is stopped in neutral (tranny warmed up from driving)and I open the door or window on the driver side and rev the engine a bit from idle I hear a ticking sound till the rpms hit about 1500. Under the hood it almost starts out like a knock, but it isn't cause it changes into more of a tick till about 1000 rpms where as a knock would become more pronounced. Now here is the kicker; when I push the clutch in the noise disappears completely, so I know it isn't the engine cause it really isn't under any more load with the clutch out and trans in neutral than with the clutch in. So I'm thinking it's from the tranny, but it works fine, shifts great no problems. Does anyone else have this sound? Would someone check to see if their car does (I didn't notice till winter ended and I started to open my windows also It's easier to hear parked next to another car so the sound can reflect). I'm not worried, mitsu will have to fix it if something is wrong, but I would like to know if there is something wrong before I bother calling them and going through the hastle of having them check it out. Thanks

Last edited by quantum; Jun 9, 2004 at 07:54 AM. Reason: typo
Old Jun 9, 2004, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

hmmm not sure... i know mitsu is known for having noisey valves... but that doesnt sound like your problem... maybe have them look at it durning your next oil change?
Old Jun 9, 2004, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

I'm going to. I talked to a friend of mine who has been working on cars since he was 13 and has rebuilt several manual transmissions. He said that since I don't hear it when the car is in gear (I've had it in first and let the car slow down to idle speed and accelerated the same way) that it's probably one of the berings that spins while the trans is in neutral and that though it's not good to hear it's probably not be terrable either. Still if someone has a chance listen to your car after a good 1/2 hour drvie in the way i described and see if you hear anything.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Also consider the MIVEC switching mechanism. Though I'm not aware of any problems, there is the possibility of a clicking noise coming from there
Old Jun 9, 2004, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

throwout bearing

The problem lies in the clutch throw-out bearing. When your car is in neutral with the clutch disengaged this bearing is barely touching the presure plate in normal condition it won't make noises but when is faulty it starts making sounds. When you engage the clutch this bearing hits the presure plate and stops making noise bc's its putting presure against the plate but once you let it out again it starts to make noise.. Go to the Dealer and they will change it under warrantee..it sounds like faulty bearing ..The other option they have is to adjust the clutch for it to rub against the plate harder thus making the sound go..

Hope it helps..

T-rush

Originally Posted by quantum
Ok, here is a sound I've heard for a while, though I don't know if it was always there. When my car is stopped in neutral (tranny warmed up from driving)and I open the door or window on the driver side and rev the engine a bit from idle I hear a ticking sound till the rpms hit about 1500. Under the hood it almost starts out like a knock, but it isn't cause it changes into more of a tick till about 1000 rpms where as a knock would become more pronounced. Now here is the kicker; when I push the clutch in the noise disappears completely, so I know it isn't the engine cause it really isn't under any more load with the clutch out and trans in neutral than with the clutch in. So I'm thinking it's from the tranny, but it works fine, shifts great no problems. Does anyone else have this sound? Would someone check to see if their car does (I didn't notice till winter ended and I started to open my windows also It's easier to hear parked next to another car so the sound can reflect). I'm not worried, mitsu will have to fix it if something is wrong, but I would like to know if there is something wrong before I bother calling them and going through the hastle of having them check it out. Thanks
Old Jun 11, 2004, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

seems it's more than likely that it is teh throwout bearing. According to a lot of people on this board in both the evo and regular lancer forums, and in the rest of the web it's incredibly common on mitsubishi cars. So I can easily get it changed at the dealership, but it also means that there are probably go to be others of us RA owners who have the same thing. Maybe I can find a good after marke tob for them to install instead so the noise will not come back.
Old Jun 12, 2004, 07:27 PM

I think I have the same problem. quantum did you take your car to have the dealer check it out yet? if so, what was the outcome?
Old Jun 12, 2004, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

omg... i just noticed the SAME PROBLEM in my car this week... im going to mention it when i take it in for the normal service checkup
Old Jun 12, 2004, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

I've looked on a bunch of forums, it seems that it's pretty common to mitsubishis; though I'm still bring it up this wendsday at the dealer.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 07:17 PM

I have a knocking too. I noticed my @ 4800. Took it to the dealership & they told me that they couldn't reproduce the noise. I noticed it getting louder and more consistent. Knocking occurs while sitting still in neutral with load on the engine. Push the clutch pedal in and the noise stops.

Back to the dealership I went. But this time there was an add'l noise. When I gear down, there's a ROARING sound & vibration when letting the clutch pedal out, & quits when you push the pedal back in. This time, the dealership's "EVO expert" and I went on a drive, where I made the knocking & roaring sounds occur over & over. The EVO expert told me that I needing to realize that this car was not a daily driver, it was Japan's Race Car. Then next he told me that the EVO was not a race car, Mitsubishi was asking alot from the "regular Lancer" tranny. I looked at him, and said "Wow, Mitsubishi is stupid for putting a FWD tranny in an AWD car." He didn't even try to correct himself. He actually meant it.

Here is the kicker, he looked at me & said, "you need to realize that you are no longer driving your Honda, you are driving a Mitsubishi now. You need to get use to the noises. Mitsubishis make noises."

They kept the EVO for the day. I called later & talked to the SVC MGR. He told me they couldn't find anything wrong with the EVO. They pulled the new one off the showroom floor & it made the same knocking sound. I asked him, "how am I to know that you are hearing the same sounds from the new EVO, I'm not there to verify?" Then he asked if I had taken it to the track yet, and I haven't. Honestly! (I have heard the about the SCCA warranty void issue). I told him no, & he acted like he didn't believe me. He asked why would I have a SCCA bracelet on my gear shifter? My husband races his 350Z, and for insurance purposes, I have to wear one. My husband got upset & went to the dealership, thinking they were looking for any reason to not warranty my EVO.

Right now I'm waiting to meet with a Mits. Dist. Rep to come in on 9/14 to check out the noises and give his thoughts.

I think throw-out bearing, but the noises are getting really bad.

I hope that he doesn't tell me the same thing about, getting use to driving a Mitsubishi.