EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   04-06 Ralliart General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04-06-ralliart-general-93/)
-   -   Stock RPM limit on the Rev Limiter? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04-06-ralliart-general/424732-stock-rpm-limit-rev-limiter.html)

badandy Jun 2, 2009 01:19 PM

Stock RPM limit on the Rev Limiter?

Could someone hook me up with what the default RPM limit is on the 04 lancer ralliart?

Had my timing belt replaced and now I'm noticing the rev limiter is kicking in at about 4500-5000 rpm which can't be right when the redline is 6500...

Thanks

joeyj Jun 2, 2009 01:28 PM

its at about 6750-6800ish.

It is alot of work to take everything off and check timing, but if something was done wrong, you dont want to run your engine long with the timing off. IMO you should have whoever did it look at it again.

kaoscage Jun 2, 2009 01:33 PM

My RA is down and out atm, but I think its 6700? Not 100%, but 4500 is to low.

otter Jun 2, 2009 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by joeyj (Post 7126507)
its at about 6750-6800ish.

It is alot of work to take everything off and check timing, but if something was done wrong, you dont want to run your engine long with the timing off. IMO you should have whoever did it look at it again.

This. Also, is there a check engine light?

badandy Jun 2, 2009 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by otter (Post 7126558)
This. Also, is there a check engine light?

no check engine light, engine seems to be running fine other than the rev limiter. MIVEC still kicks in at about 3500, I'd assume if it was off that the MIVEC RPM would change too.

Ive been driving it for about 2 weeks with no problems until I tried to pass someone and kicked it hard and it dropped out on me at 5k

I think my mechanic was going to check out the programming to make sure it was set to the correct RPM - I am researching it for him since I have access to this wonderful forum.

I had the tensioners replaced at the same time, could it mess the timing up if there was too much tension on the timing/balance belts?

otter Jun 2, 2009 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by badandy (Post 7126603)
no check engine light, engine seems to be running fine other than the rev limiter. MIVEC still kicks in at about 3500, I'd assume if it was off that the MIVEC RPM would change too.

Ive been driving it for about 2 weeks with no problems until I tried to pass someone and kicked it hard and it dropped out on me at 5k

I think my mechanic was going to check out the programming to make sure it was set to the correct RPM - I am researching it for him since I have access to this wonderful forum.

I had the tensioners replaced at the same time, could it mess the timing up if there was too much tension on the timing/balance belts?

The timing belt tensioner is automatic, so it's pretty hard to screw up. As for the balance belt, no downside to being too tight on the tensioner there, other than reduced belt life.

Double check the timing belt and make sure everything's lined up properly. If it is, see if the car stops at 5000 when the car's in neutral.

Eclipse2Lancer Jun 3, 2009 06:57 AM

I would guess timing is off if you don't have a CEL. If the crank sensor went bad, I would think there would be a CEL.

Have the shop double check their work....like others have said. Keep us posted on results.

RalliDew Jun 9, 2009 06:15 PM

" Your Mec Programed the RA RPM" ??? I dont think so but if so let us know what he is using ASAP!

badandy Aug 14, 2009 01:29 PM

My problem was resolved, amazingly enough by the mitsubishi dealership in minneapolis.
The problem with the Rev limiter kicking in too soon was due to a failing Crank Position Sensor. I had taken it to a second garage and they claimed they found no problems with sensors/mechanical either. Mitsubishi immediately discovered the problem and fixed it. sensor was about $124. The mechanic that did my timing belt replacement also did not properly time the balance shaft either and was causing a lot of vibration, which mitsubishi also corrected.

Considering two other garages couldn't figure out what was going on, I have new confidence in the Mitsubishi dealership here and will think twice before I go to an outside garage.

Car runs great again!

RalliartN Aug 14, 2009 02:18 PM

This is a good lesson to all the whiners complaining about what a Mitsubishi dealer charges for important work like this. Dealer mechanics go to factory seminars to learn how to properly execute critical tasks. A lot of trouble-shooting and repair involves electronics, sensors, and the ECU, not just some yob switching out a muffler clamp. So you "saved" 10% on the basic bill by going to Joe Monkey Wrench on the corner. We want the local dealers to stay in business so our cars can get repaired properly - so patronize them.

samterry1234 Aug 14, 2009 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by RalliartN (Post 7396597)
This is a good lesson to all the whiners complaining about what a Mitsubishi dealer charges for important work like this. Dealer mechanics go to factory seminars to learn how to properly execute critical tasks. A lot of trouble-shooting and repair involves electronics, sensors, and the ECU, not just some yob switching out a muffler clamp. So you "saved" 10% on the basic bill by going to Joe Monkey Wrench on the corner. We want the local dealers to stay in business so our cars can get repaired properly - so patronize them.

i agree 100% i never go to a general repair shop unless its somethign that is in fact general repair, and is out of my limited expertise. I.E. resurfacing brake rotors. anything more specialized then that i go to the mitsu dealer and they fix me up ftw.

Thtgreyralliart May 10, 2020 12:20 PM

Your maf sensor went along with that u might have 02 sensors down/ my 05 ra sounded like it was hitting rev limiter on highway at 4500rpm changed maf n it was fine, only reason i say 02 might be a problem to cuz in my nee ralliart when maf does car shuts off with fully functioning 02 so check your maf and 02