Notices

Stock RPM limit on the Rev Limiter?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2009, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock RPM limit on the Rev Limiter?

Could someone hook me up with what the default RPM limit is on the 04 lancer ralliart?

Had my timing belt replaced and now I'm noticing the rev limiter is kicking in at about 4500-5000 rpm which can't be right when the redline is 6500...

Thanks
Old Jun 2, 2009, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

its at about 6750-6800ish.

It is alot of work to take everything off and check timing, but if something was done wrong, you dont want to run your engine long with the timing off. IMO you should have whoever did it look at it again.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

My RA is down and out atm, but I think its 6700? Not 100%, but 4500 is to low.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 01:40 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyj
its at about 6750-6800ish.

It is alot of work to take everything off and check timing, but if something was done wrong, you dont want to run your engine long with the timing off. IMO you should have whoever did it look at it again.
This. Also, is there a check engine light?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by otter
This. Also, is there a check engine light?

no check engine light, engine seems to be running fine other than the rev limiter. MIVEC still kicks in at about 3500, I'd assume if it was off that the MIVEC RPM would change too.

Ive been driving it for about 2 weeks with no problems until I tried to pass someone and kicked it hard and it dropped out on me at 5k

I think my mechanic was going to check out the programming to make sure it was set to the correct RPM - I am researching it for him since I have access to this wonderful forum.

I had the tensioners replaced at the same time, could it mess the timing up if there was too much tension on the timing/balance belts?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 01:50 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by badandy
no check engine light, engine seems to be running fine other than the rev limiter. MIVEC still kicks in at about 3500, I'd assume if it was off that the MIVEC RPM would change too.

Ive been driving it for about 2 weeks with no problems until I tried to pass someone and kicked it hard and it dropped out on me at 5k

I think my mechanic was going to check out the programming to make sure it was set to the correct RPM - I am researching it for him since I have access to this wonderful forum.

I had the tensioners replaced at the same time, could it mess the timing up if there was too much tension on the timing/balance belts?
The timing belt tensioner is automatic, so it's pretty hard to screw up. As for the balance belt, no downside to being too tight on the tensioner there, other than reduced belt life.

Double check the timing belt and make sure everything's lined up properly. If it is, see if the car stops at 5000 when the car's in neutral.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would guess timing is off if you don't have a CEL. If the crank sensor went bad, I would think there would be a CEL.

Have the shop double check their work....like others have said. Keep us posted on results.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

" Your Mec Programed the RA RPM" ??? I dont think so but if so let us know what he is using ASAP!
Old Aug 14, 2009, 01:29 PM

My problem was resolved, amazingly enough by the mitsubishi dealership in minneapolis.
The problem with the Rev limiter kicking in too soon was due to a failing Crank Position Sensor. I had taken it to a second garage and they claimed they found no problems with sensors/mechanical either. Mitsubishi immediately discovered the problem and fixed it. sensor was about $124. The mechanic that did my timing belt replacement also did not properly time the balance shaft either and was causing a lot of vibration, which mitsubishi also corrected.

Considering two other garages couldn't figure out what was going on, I have new confidence in the Mitsubishi dealership here and will think twice before I go to an outside garage.

Car runs great again!
Old Aug 14, 2009, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This is a good lesson to all the whiners complaining about what a Mitsubishi dealer charges for important work like this. Dealer mechanics go to factory seminars to learn how to properly execute critical tasks. A lot of trouble-shooting and repair involves electronics, sensors, and the ECU, not just some yob switching out a muffler clamp. So you "saved" 10% on the basic bill by going to Joe Monkey Wrench on the corner. We want the local dealers to stay in business so our cars can get repaired properly - so patronize them.
The following users liked this post:
THR_Evo8 (May 10, 2020)
Old Aug 14, 2009, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RalliartN
This is a good lesson to all the whiners complaining about what a Mitsubishi dealer charges for important work like this. Dealer mechanics go to factory seminars to learn how to properly execute critical tasks. A lot of trouble-shooting and repair involves electronics, sensors, and the ECU, not just some yob switching out a muffler clamp. So you "saved" 10% on the basic bill by going to Joe Monkey Wrench on the corner. We want the local dealers to stay in business so our cars can get repaired properly - so patronize them.
i agree 100% i never go to a general repair shop unless its somethign that is in fact general repair, and is out of my limited expertise. I.E. resurfacing brake rotors. anything more specialized then that i go to the mitsu dealer and they fix me up ftw.
Old May 10, 2020, 12:20 PM

Your maf sensor went along with that u might have 02 sensors down/ my 05 ra sounded like it was hitting rev limiter on highway at 4500rpm changed maf n it was fine, only reason i say 02 might be a problem to cuz in my nee ralliart when maf does car shuts off with fully functioning 02 so check your maf and 02