Notices

Tein Basic Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tein Basic Coilovers

What's up forum. Just thought I would give you a review on these coilovers. I have had them for the past 6 years. I don't track my car since it was my daily driver, so it saw normal use. Minus the 15 mile moderate mountain road to my city. What I can tell you is these coilovers don't last more then two years without needing a rebuild. I don't know if this is common with coilovers since this was my first set. But I have sent them out twice already for rebuild.

That is the part# if your interested.

What they look like installed. I set the ride height to there recommendations and haven't experimented going any lower or higher.

This is what the ride height looks like after being installed. Even and maybe about a 1.5" drop in the front and a 1" drop in the rear. Hard to say how much since it was so long ago and I had that Ralliart sag swag going on.

This is the result of catching about a foot of air from the road compact being washed away after a heavy storm. Had the it replaced and rest of the coilovers got rebuilt while it was down two years ago. Anyways about to change over to either BC, D2, or KSport to see the reliability difference between manufacturers. Any suggestions from other members before I pull another gut feeling purchase?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Ask requested, a suggestion based on experience: if you do not track the car then it's definitely Swift springs with stock struts for best combo of handling, comfort and durability on real roads.
The following users liked this post:
the1ftw (Oct 20, 2016)
Old Oct 20, 2016, 01:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can't tell you anything about stock suspension since my Ralliart didn't come with them. My car came with Megan Racing Street coilovers. They lasted to around 100,000 km without being rebuilt and were replaced since the shaft on one of the coilovers sheared off. The ride was decent when I used the car for the last 20k km. The Megans were replaced with BC Racing BR coilovers. You can go to my show and shine page to see the damage.

I have around 10k km with BC Racing coilovers now. The damping is much better than the Megans (to be expected since they are brand new). I attended autox with the BC Racing coilovers. The car cornered nice and flat but I was limited by tire grip (garbage all season tires).

I was under the impression that it is best to lower a car with coilovers since lowering a car with springs and stock struts causes premature wear. Hope this helps!
The following users liked this post:
the1ftw (Oct 20, 2016)
Old Oct 20, 2016, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by RalliartN
Ask requested, a suggestion based on experience: if you do not track the car then it's definitely Swift springs with stock struts for best combo of handling, comfort and durability on real roads.
Thank you for your suggestion but I rather stay with a coilover setup. I also heard that running lowering springs on stock struts has a horrible ride. I ran swifts with tokico blues on my Integra and hated it. I shortly swapped out to skunk2 pro coilovers because the shop recommend those with my needs. I only owned the car 6 months later before selling it. So I am taking that most coilovers don't last that long without having to be rebuilt.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by jcmaz
Can't tell you anything about stock suspension since my Ralliart didn't come with them. My car came with Megan Racing Street coilovers. They lasted to around 100,000 km without being rebuilt and were replaced since the shaft on one of the coilovers sheared off. The ride was decent when I used the car for the last 20k km. The Megans were replaced with BC Racing BR coilovers. You can go to my show and shine page to see the damage.

I have around 10k km with BC Racing coilovers now. The damping is much better than the Megans (to be expected since they are brand new). I attended autox with the BC Racing coilovers. The car cornered nice and flat but I was limited by tire grip (garbage all season tires).

I was under the impression that it is best to lower a car with coilovers since lowering a car with springs and stock struts causes premature wear. Hope this helps!
How did you shear the shaft, I thought I was one in a million to bend it haha. Did you adjust differently for street use to auto x event? I was leaning towards the BC's because of the name. I have seen Ksport around in the Honda game but not really much else (out here anyways). D2, I have yet to see anyone with a set of those.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 09:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by the1ftw
How did you shear the shaft, I thought I was one in a million to bend it haha. Did you adjust differently for street use to auto x event? I was leaning towards the BC's because of the name. I have seen Ksport around in the Honda game but not really much else (out here anyways). D2, I have yet to see anyone with a set of those.
I honestly have no idea how that happened, neither does the shop that I take my car to. They've never seen it happen before.

I didn't change the settings on the coilovers. I wanted to see what the limits were on the car with the new tires (so much understeer with my all seasons). If I recall correctly, I think my settings were 12-14 clicks from soft for the fronts and 16 clicks from soft for the rears.

The Speed Syndicate, a highly recommended shop in Vancouver, recommended BC Racing coilovers over the other brands that you mentioned.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 04:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live about 30 minutes from the BC facility. The grassroots motorsports rallycross project focus SVT article gave these a good review, and I'm considering a set if I need to replace my stock struts.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/pr...inally-gets-p/

Since it's a rallycross car, they used the coilovers to raise it.

I would be happy for more feedback on the BC coilovers.