Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

What am i hearing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2009, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What am i hearing

09 rali 300 miles so far. sometimes when im coming to a stop when in total auto trans mode i get some clank/clunk noise and minor jerks. is this normal? if its the tranny downshifting shouldnt it be a bit smoother and not make these noises?

also is it normal
for the car wanting to launch/jerk slightly from a stop when i left off brake? is that the awd system? never had awd b4.

when im using manuel clutch in sport mode, when coming to a stop should i left the car downshift on its own?

sorry if these are dumb questions. just sounds like something is getting damaged and or just breaking in
Old Jul 18, 2009, 05:03 PM

I have the same issue aswell. But you just get used to it. From what I read on a review about this car is that it does shift very hard. As for the noises I'd just attribute those to the tranny being worked in just like a brand new motorcycle has to be "broke in" and everything smooths itself out. And when you're manually shifting down while stopping I imagine that's completely up to you if you want to let it shift on it's own. I prefer doing it myself.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

ok so im not alone, always good

how about when you are say backing out of your drive way, put it in drive is it supposed to feel as if you are in a truck in a 4wd low setting for a moment? i assume thats just the way the awd is supposed to be. it gets that way also when im coming to a stop. again i have never owned awd so forgive the noobness.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

After 8800km it still happens to me
Old Jul 18, 2009, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jestr71
ok so im not alone, always good

how about when you are say backing out of your drive way, put it in drive is it supposed to feel as if you are in a truck in a 4wd low setting for a moment? i assume thats just the way the awd is supposed to be. it gets that way also when im coming to a stop. again i have never owned awd so forgive the noobness.
Mine tends to take forever it seems to shift from Reverse to Drive and I actually have to compensate for the space the rollback gives me after I shift.( I.E.shift to reverse, gas, shift to drive, still moving backwards.) Could just be my carelessness with not keeping on the brake the whole time while shifting. I'm used to my previous vehicle still, 2000 Dodge Dakota R/T.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Its the way the twin clutch engages and disengages. You'll also notice that if you barely keep your foot on the break the car rolls as well despite being in drive
Old Jul 18, 2009, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jestr71
09 rali 300 miles so far. sometimes when im coming to a stop when in total auto trans mode i get some clank/clunk noise and minor jerks. is this normal? if its the tranny downshifting shouldnt it be a bit smoother and not make these noises?

also is it normal
for the car wanting to launch/jerk slightly from a stop when i left off brake? is that the awd system? never had awd b4.

when im using manuel clutch in sport mode, when coming to a stop should i left the car downshift on its own?

sorry if these are dumb questions. just sounds like something is getting damaged and or just breaking in
The SST is more like a manual than an auto when it shifts, thats y u here all clanks. The jerk is from the SST, when u break it puts the car into neutral. once u let off the brake the SST engages and that y u feel the jerk. There is no need to down shift the SST does it for you. it does this to prevent the car from stalling like a manual will. nothing to worry about.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

cool thanks for the replies. lovin the 09
Old Jul 19, 2009, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

It's the clutch and actuators. Sounds just like manual car.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bom's Evo
It's the clutch and actuators. Sounds just like manual car.

Exactly - IIRC the Technology in the gearing is just like a Manual Trans so its going to be louder and whiny.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

ok great thanks. another question now please, when i start the 09 in the morning, for about 5 seconds it sounds like a machine shop under the hood, like a robot moving or something lol hard to explain. anyone else have this?

also as i pull away from house in morning i get one loud clunk coming from somewhere in the engine bay. its not the abs check i know for sure. any suggestions?
Old Jul 21, 2009, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

hehe, I love the sound... feels as if a transformer will come outta there a second later

clack, chin clap clack!

it's all fine man, it's just all the tc crap gearing up and getting ready for battle

also yeah you should just let the car downshift itself as long as you're going to a full stop... it will eventually drop to 1st gear; if you're manual shifting and you're moving around corners you want to downshift yourself cause the car wont put you back to the right gear...

reason why I said you should let it shift itself back to 1st gear is cause you can cause unnecessary wear on the gear shift... it's somewhere in the manual i believe; it also says don't use the shift knob as a hand rest

Last edited by jazket; Jul 21, 2009 at 07:02 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jazket
hehe, I love the sound... feels as if a transformer will come outta there a second later

clack, chin clap clack!

it's all fine man, it's just all the tc crap gearing up and getting ready for battle

also yeah you should just let the car downshift itself as long as you're going to a full stop... it will eventually drop to 1st gear; if you're manual shifting and you're moving around corners you want to downshift yourself cause the car wont put you back to the right gear...

reason why I said you should let it shift itself back to 1st gear is cause you can cause unnecessary wear on the gear shift... it's somewhere in the manual i believe; it also says don't use the shift knob as a hand rest
Wait really? I should have read that manual more in-depth than i did.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Metall1ca
Wait really? I should have read that manual more in-depth than i did.
Yez zir it's in thy manuel
Old Jul 21, 2009, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

damn what am i gonna do with my right hand now while driving

how about the clunk noise when i first drive away in the morning? i had that with my xterra to but doesnt happen with my 04 rali. im sure its not the abs.

Quick Reply: What am i hearing