Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Question about service

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2010, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about service

So I went to my dealer to arrange my next service (7500K), and he said it's mainly oil change, tire rotation and brake check.
I sneaked in a question about mods and how strict they are with that, they said any kind of mod will void my warranty, even a cat back. (ANY MOD will void my warranty)
I currently have a borla catback and SRI installed, should i bother removing them and swap back to stock just for the dealer service (oil change and brake check)? (No tire rotation as I am changing to snows anyway), or just take it to a local garage for service?

Is it worth the trouble?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Thats a tough situation, if they are going to really be that strict I would change everything and then go in, if you have the time. If not you can always bring up that by law they cannot void the entire warranty because of an aftermarket part. Unless they can say the exhaust caused the failure. Tell them you understand you no longer have an exhuast warranty because of the exhaust... and so on.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

I have an amazing notion;
change your own oil
Problem solved, takes ~20 mins w/ having to jack it up yourself to get to the drain plug.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would never take my car to the dealer for oil changes and other simple stuff. The only things I'd consider letting the dealer take care of would be warranty work, recalls, transmission oil changes, or other major problems.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Thats a great idea just doing your own changes. I am with Slee on that I will never bring my car to the dealer for basic work. For the tire rotation just go to a competent tire shop.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 06:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sstevojr
I have an amazing notion;
change your own oil
Problem solved, takes ~20 mins w/ having to jack it up yourself to get to the drain plug.
This.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

wait wait. so you would rather remove a catback exhaust and reinstall it, than rotate your tires, change your oil and look @ your brakes....

just do the maintenance yourself and save some $ and hassle with your dealer.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 07:29 PM

Thanks for the advise, think I'll be doing the maintenance this time by myself and bring it to the dealer for the 17K service when they check everything else.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Tell them to void it if they want to break the law. There is the The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)). Its federal law that they cannot void your warranty if you have properly installed aftermarket parts and equipment that do not violate local, state or national laws (ie emissions, sound, lighting.)

Should any failure occur with your vehicle the dealership must prove that the aftermarket part in question caused the malfunction. Of course some dealerships are more friendly to mods and some aren't although the law is the law.

That guy is crazy telling you that your warranty will be voided, let alone there isnt even a malfunction with your vehicle that requires the attention of your warranty.

Here's some links for you bro
http://www.semasan.com/Main/Main.aspx?ID=60128
http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=61713

Last edited by Snipingdude; Nov 22, 2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:09 PM

^+1 they cannot just void your your whole warranty
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:42 PM

Thanks guys for the info..will definitely bring this up with them and see how they respond to that...
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

lol i love threads that refer to the MMWA.

if they put it in writing that your warranty is voided for having a modification when there is no problem then they are violating the MMWA, problem is what are you going to do about it ?
Going to hire an attorney to make the dealership perform warranty work ? Pretty sure the attorney fees will out weigh the costs to fix whatever is wrong.

just dont mention anything to them, when you go in for service or something serious then just put your car back to stock. if you dont want to put it back to stock and you have a problem , be prepared to do your best to explain why the aftermarket part is not the reason your car is having an issue, they may or may not work with you. The reason i state you should be prepared to do the explanation is you will have to rebut what they claim is happening due to your aftermarket part.

to avoid the hassle just return to stock.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lancer0220
lol i love threads that refer to the MMWA.

if they put it in writing that your warranty is voided for having a modification when there is no problem then they are violating the MMWA, problem is what are you going to do about it ?
Going to hire an attorney to make the dealership perform warranty work ? Pretty sure the attorney fees will out weigh the costs to fix whatever is wrong.

just dont mention anything to them, when you go in for service or something serious then just put your car back to stock. if you dont want to put it back to stock and you have a problem , be prepared to do your best to explain why the aftermarket part is not the reason your car is having an issue, they may or may not work with you. The reason i state you should be prepared to do the explanation is you will have to rebut what they claim is happening due to your aftermarket part.

to avoid the hassle just return to stock.
I agree the "easiest" thing to do is to put it back to stock. I dont know how the guy told you it would be voided, if he seemed honest and was polite then thats cool, just explain to him like what lancer 0220 said as well as the act, but if he gave an attitude and it was me, I'd be throwing everything in their face, Id ask to speak to the supervisor, the manager, the owner whoever just to give them a hard time because they gave me an attitude.

However, doing the change yourself is easy, and so is returning it to stock. I just hate it when stealerships give a wrong answer to a customer and always think they're correct. I like to see them shut their mouths sometimes..

if they do void your arranty from seeing your intake just sue them for court and lawyers fees too lol

ps...how much were you gonna pay for your oil change??
I know I saved bundles doing it myself because a dealership synthetic oil change is ridiculously expensive around $80-$100 i believe, at least around me...i got my 5 quarts and filter all for 40 bucks

Last edited by Snipingdude; Nov 22, 2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Snipingdude

However, doing the change yourself is easy, and so is returning it to stock. I just hate it when stealerships give a wrong answer to a customer and always think they're correct. I like to see them shut their mouths sometimes..

yes i know but sometimes its just best to :| and only go to the dealer for serious problems.

i just came back from having to pay the dealer $165 for a tpms sensor , installation, balance and programming. (one of the sensors valves cracked...) i was satisfied with the price as the other two local dealerships quoted me 180 and 200.

while i was there some girl pulled up in a lancer with new rims stating her steering wheel was shaking...

the service advisor told her she needs "spacers or a better balance" then he repeated again "but its probably spacers what you need"...

i shook my head and got in my car before i left i told her she needs hubcentric rings, i tried to explain to her what they were but the service advisor came back over again, didnt even acknowledge what i said and repeated to her that she needed spacers, i looked at both of them and just drove off.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lancer0220
yes i know but sometimes its just best to :| and only go to the dealer for serious problems.

i just came back from having to pay the dealer $165 for a tpms sensor , installation, balance and programming. (one of the sensors valves cracked...) i was satisfied with the price as the other two local dealerships quoted me 180 and 200.

while i was there some girl pulled up in a lancer with new rims stating her steering wheel was shaking...

the service advisor told her she needs "spacers or a better balance" then he repeated again "but its probably spacers what you need"...

i shook my head and got in my car before i left i told her she needs hubcentric rings, i tried to explain to her what they were but the service advisor came back over again, didnt even acknowledge what i said and repeated to her that she needed spacers, i looked at both of them and just drove off.
sighhhhh