Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Ams Stage Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2012, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ams Stage Upgrades

I was looking at the Ams Ralliart stage upgrades. There are 3. Stage 0,1,2. Which one would you guys recommend. I see once you re flash the ecu you can't add anymore performance parts for example a intake. Also is it easy to remove your ecu to mail it in? Thankyou
Old Apr 9, 2012, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't choose any of them before I've read the GST Basemap sticky in the RA drivetrain forum.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jkennedy293
i wouldn't choose any of them before i've read the gst basemap sticky in the ra drivetrain forum.
+1
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
+2
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

yeah my friend had a 09 RA and when they had stage 3 at ams with the x turbo n all the goodies he mailed in his ecu had them flash it and i ended up beating him with my stock turbo and no flash on my ra his car also ran like crap so he sold it n bought a x
Old Apr 9, 2012, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Brownie614
yeah my friend had a 09 RA and when they had stage 3 at ams with the x turbo n all the goodies he mailed in his ecu had them flash it and i ended up beating him with my stock turbo and no flash on my ra his car also ran like crap so he sold it n bought a x
So you beat a ralliart with stage 3 mods in your stock ralliart?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 09:14 PM

so you guys wouldn't recommend it? What information should i know. I will gladly read it but what is if for?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jlog1506
so you guys wouldn't recommend it? What information should i know. I will gladly read it but what is if for?
They, and many members on here, will recommend using the GST tune that has been given to us for free. All you need is a laptop and the tactrix cable and you can flash the tune.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bossssman38
So you beat a ralliart with stage 3 mods in your stock ralliart?
no my ra was not stock this is all the stuff i had in mine
Engine Mods
K&N drop in filter
HKS ssqv3 bov
AMS fmic with piping
CP-E tbe

Engine Management
GST Base Map

Interior
Rex Speed A pillar gauge pod
AEM Digital Tru Boost
AEM Digital Volt gauge
7in Touch Screen Navi
2 12in Memphis Audio Subs
1000 watt Kenwood Amp

Exterior
Tinted windows
XXR 507W Series Rims 18x7.5
Cooper 215/45R18 ZEON RS3-A
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

but you said "beating him with my stock turbo and no flash on my ra"

I.E. stock ....
Old Apr 12, 2012, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

yes then i didnt have a flash just running 20lbs of boost he was on 26
Old Apr 12, 2012, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nunyas
but you said "beating him with my stock turbo and no flash on my ra"

I.E. stock ....
i did the flash at mod in october and i ran him in september then he bought a evo after that he still has the CP-E gauge pod for 100 obo if any1 needs a gauge pod its a $200 pod that was used for 3 months
Old May 13, 2012, 04:48 PM

Yeah, don't buy the stage kits from AMS, their prices aren't that good and after the past month dealing with them on my order trying to get prices straightened out for stage1+2 (bought them both simultaneously) and the amount they want for their basemap... They charge over $4000 for stage1+2, but I ended up buying:

A used AMS catback on craigslist for $480 (not saying anything bad about their actual products, just their service)
Cobb catpipe for around $200 new from cobb
A stock EvoX intercooler/BPV/pipes also from craigslist for $400
AEM intake for $240 online

I happened to have a Cobb AP so I used their Stage2 tune, but you could use a Tactrix cable (around $170?) + GST map with a $20 boost pill too.

So, everything I bought came out to like 1.4k vs the 4k they wanted. I cut them some slack since obviously I got great deals used, so I still got some other parts from them, one of which (edit: ) Whiteline(?) misrepresented and wasn't at all what I was expecting to get. I shipped both parts back (I was just tired of the whole deal at this point) and they didn't want to refund me because "they were packaged poorly for shipping and were damaged"... Except all I did was open the box, say "nope", close it again, and ship it back. I think I've finally managed to work it out with them (they did waive restocking on the wrongly advertised part). <_<

Save yourself my experience and find out what parts you ACTUALLY want and just buy them separately. Except for the intake (get the AEM, since it works with the GST maps and the Cobb maps) there is not a huge difference between most of the stage parts (any given exhaust system or intercooler) as far as tunes go... It's mostly just the sound the exhaust makes and exactly how big the intercooler is.

I used the 2.5k I saved to buy a set of Enkei PF01's and some nice Star Spec Z1 tires. :P

Edit: After hearing back from them again (post below) I'm willing to cut them a lot more slack -- some things weren't their fault or were merely misunderstandings. My experience was unfortunate, but it may have been mostly one-off problems, not something systemic. I've toned down my aggravation level in this post to mesh better with this new information.

Last edited by rm_you; May 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: new information
Old May 15, 2012, 12:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rm_you
Yeah, don't buy anything from AMS, their prices aren't that good and after the past month dealing with them on my order trying to get prices straightened out for stage1+2 (bought them both simultaneously) and the ridiculous amount they want for their basemap... They charged me over $4000 for stage1+2, and I said **** that and ended up buying:

A used AMS catback on craigslist for $480 (not saying anything bad about their actual products, just their service)
Cobb catpipe for around $200 new from cobb
A stock EvoX intercooler/BPV/pipes also from craigslist for $400
AEM intake for $240 online

I happened to have a Cobb AP so I used their Stage2 tune but you could use a Tactrix cable (around $200?) + GST map with a $20 boost pill too.

So, everything I bought came out to like 1.4k vs the 4k they wanted. I cut them some slack since obviously I got great deals used, so I still got some other parts from them, which it turns out they misrepresented and weren't at all what I was expecting to get. I shipped them back and they didn't want to refund me because "they were packaged poorly for shipping and were damaged"... Except all I did was open the box, say "nope", close it again, and ship it back. They also want a restocking fee, for shipping me a part that wasn't what they advertised?! I think I've finally managed to work it out with them, but WTF. <_<

Do not buy from AMS. It has been the most stressful and aggravating experience I have had in a long time. Save yourself that experience and find out what parts you ACTUALLY want and just buy them separately. Except for the intake (get the AEM, since it works with the GST maps and the Cobb maps) there is no real difference between most parts (any given exhaust system or intercooler) as far as tunes go, it is mostly just the sound they make.

I used the 2.5k I saved to buy a set of Enkei PF01's and some nice Star Spec Z1 tires. :P

I have had numerous people from Cobb tell me that their stage 2 tune is not designed for intercooler and intake upgrades/adjustments and that they would not recommend it.

Last edited by petro; May 15, 2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old May 15, 2012, 03:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jlog1506
You should know that these stage upgrades are for people who don't know anything about cars or modifications.

Quick Reply: Ams Stage Upgrades