Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

2 cars, one key

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2013, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2 cars, one key

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes...

I'm picking up a new 2013 WW Ralliart tomorrow, and I already own a RR 2013 Outlander XLS. Is it possible to reprogram the FAST key system to be able to use one key fob on both cars? I know that I'd also have to have the tumblers changed to match, but I think the proximity system would be the real sticking point.

Any thoughts?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 06:03 PM

That sounds like a good idea! But unfortunately as far as I know each key has a specific program and or frequency set for each car. Unless you can reprogram your car's transmitter or get one to match your current car you wont be able to use the same wireless key for two cars.

It would be nice though =D
Old Sep 9, 2013, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

so when you go to work in the morning and you unlock your car and drive away you will now have an unlocked car in your driveway
Old Sep 10, 2013, 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

No, you'd still have to physically hit the button on the door handle to unlock the car, so only the car you want to unlock would open.

Makes sense about having to replace the transmitter - I was just hoping they could reprogram it rather than replace it.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Huh! Let us know if this works.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
To be clear - you would have to re-program one vehicle to exactly match the other - the key can't 'remember' two vehicles... And the back up metal key would be wrong 50% of the time...
Old Sep 11, 2013, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

The realist in me thinks that it isn't going to work, but it never hurts to check. I've got my local dealer's service manager looking into it for me right now.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SVTong
No, you'd still have to physically hit the button on the door handle to unlock the car, so only the car you want to unlock would open.

Makes sense about having to replace the transmitter - I was just hoping they could reprogram it rather than replace it.
Ahh that seems logical, i forget newer cars have this option when the keys in your pocket to touch the button on the handle and it unlocks the car. id still be skeptical and personally i doubt Mitsubishi will do it for you but i may be wrong.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

So it looks like we should have all trusted our instincts on this one - it's a no-go.

The reason isn't one I would have guessed, though. It isn't because the dealer refused to try it for security/warranty/aliens, it's because every time they program a new key to the car, it creates a new and unique code that the keys and car share. So they would program for car A, then reprogram for car B which wipes the code for car A from the key.

It's too bad - even the service manager at the dealer wanted to see it work, but could figure a way around it. Apparently I'm the first person to ever ask for this too.