Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Fuel Relays

Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Relays

A few Fuel questions: If anyone could shine some light here, I would appreciate it.

Which ones are the fuel relays?
How do you know your fuel relays need to be swapped out?
Why should they be swapped out? Symptoms??

Should I buy a package of relays? or buy individually?
I've seen here, but i don't know what I am/should purchasing or why??
http://www.sspperformance.com/evo-x-...sr/relays.html
Black Relay? vs Grey Relay?

Here are some pics of my current fuse box: (If this helps)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzw...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzw...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by GetFoxed; Sep 30, 2014 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Fixing link for pics
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to buy the relay package from SSP. If you buy the package it will replace all the ones that are prone to issues. That being said I know many people who still have their stock relays. For me it was a piece of mind thing. I wanted to just do it and know they will last with no issues. Also if you are getting an upgraded fuel pump than you would also want to get these relays.

As far as checking them to see if they are bad you can do what is called the salt and pepper test. Pull the fuel relays out and shake them. If they sound like they have sand inside them then they are bad or going bad.

When I talked to Kris at SSP he said to replace them even if they were not bad. I changed mine right away. Plus on a side note I have my stock ones in my glove box in case I need a spare one day or something.

For the price they cost, in my opinion it is a small price to pay for piece of mind. Some people have theirs fail sooner than others because of climate, tunes, mods demand on fuel system etc. Everyone is different. In the end it is a worthy solid supportive part to upgrade to.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Impor...80072975547020

If you go to my link above I did a video review on the SSP relays and unboxing. If you would like to know how to install them and where just message me when you get them shipped. The instructions they come with differ slightly than previous models so installation looks different because of changes in relay colors.

Here is a picture to help with install. If you order them you want to replace all the green ones and the big gray one. In your case it would be the big black one since yours is a different color. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Hope this helped you out
Attached Thumbnails Fuel Relays-13806214745_f49dbf03eb_o.jpg  
Old Sep 30, 2014, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll keep this real simple. Here's a link to what you want to get, and it's one of the best investments you can make for your car:
http://www.sspperformance.com/evo-x-...y-package.html
Old Oct 1, 2014, 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I used to occasionally get a no-start (long cranking until it fired up). Since I replaced just the FP relay - no issues at all. None.

The discussions on the issue show corrosion in the unsealed relays that Mitsu spec'd for the car. [heavy sigh/facepalm].

So. To Sum It All Up - before any RA owner goes to buy some fakery carbon fiber mirror covers - do this (and clamp the FPR vacuum line at the manifold).
Old Oct 1, 2014, 07:12 AM

What is the FPR Vacuum line issue you speak of???

Originally Posted by Veronica
I used to occasionally get a no-start (long cranking until it fired up). Since I replaced just the FP relay - no issues at all. None.

The discussions on the issue show corrosion in the unsealed relays that Mitsu spec'd for the car. [heavy sigh/facepalm].

So. To Sum It All Up - before any RA owner goes to buy some fakery carbon fiber mirror covers - do this (and clamp the FPR vacuum line at the manifold).
Old Oct 1, 2014, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by GetFoxed
What is the FPR Vacuum line issue you speak of???
http://www.clubralliart.com/showpost...68&postcount=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaxasaurusrex View Post
hey guys, i am new to this forum but after getting an oil change yesterday i have noticed my car idling very weird all of a sudden. after warming up and coming to a stop i have noticed it fluctuating from 1100 rpm down to 500 or lower. i don't know if they could have used the wrong oil, knocked a vacuum hose loose, or if this is something normal. let me know if this has already been posted and solved in a previous thread, thanks guys
This sounds like the dreaded FPR vacuum hose. Pop off the engine cover (just pull), and check to see if this vacuum line came loose...
Attached Thumbnails Fuel Relays-090802_115141.jpg   Fuel Relays-hpim3033-small-1.jpg  
Old Oct 4, 2014, 06:03 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
I did the "salt shaker" test and found a bad relay. Ended up buying the package for peace of mind (all relays were green).
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

I have the 3 green relays and the 1 big grey relay are those the updated versions or they considered older versions. Since, I've had starting issues and dealer not figuring it out. I haven't done the salt 'n pepper test yet.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 03:43 PM

I have my SSP Relays coming Tuesday, I will post an install video.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

I do really want to get it for my 2014 but with talk of the problem being fixed and my year having the new ones i think ill just rock em till they bust.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 06:33 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by russ72
I have the 3 green relays and the 1 big grey relay are those the updated versions or they considered older versions. Since, I've had starting issues and dealer not figuring it out. I haven't done the salt 'n pepper test yet.
Green is the older version. Black is the current/updated version.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by russ72
I already answered this question in your other thread.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by .M.
Green is the older version. Black is the current/updated version.
Okay, thanks! Guess I will jump on the bandwagon and get the relay package as well. It can't hurt that's for sure, still having start up issues.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 03:42 AM
Evolving Member

if you buy the relay package, you might as well pick up their cheap sst oil filters while your at it
Old Oct 22, 2014, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Relays