EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   09+ Lancer Ralliart General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-lancer-ralliart-general-266/)
-   -   AMS Small battery Install Location (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-lancer-ralliart-general/512641-ams-small-battery-install-location.html)

Kieffer87 Sep 4, 2010 12:31 PM

AMS Small battery Install Location

I picked up a factory RF sub to finally gain some trunk space back from my giant Kicker 12L7 that took up my entire trunk. This also meant it was time to get my AMS small battery mounted in a more permanent home. The styrofoam dividers couldn't work any better for this. The battery sticks up maybe 2mm higher than the inlay for the piece of cardboard but it still works fine and is unnoticeable once the carpet is in.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0...D720/ry%3D480/

Piper747 Sep 4, 2010 12:43 PM

That's pretty slick! Any pictures of the connection of the existing wires in the engine bay with the wires you ran to the trunk?

>Cataclysm< Sep 4, 2010 12:44 PM

Awesome job! I will hopefully relocating my battery to the trunk soon. Have you had the AMS battery through a winter yet?

Kieffer87 Sep 4, 2010 12:51 PM

Yes I had it through this last winter. Couple days for below zero and I didn't have any problem starting. Initially I had an amp and sub in the trunk, so I already had a 4GA wire ran to the front so cranking is a bit slower than stock. My next step will be to run some thicker guage wire when I get around to it.

I just tapped the power into the nut on the side of the old battery terminal just as you would installing a amp. Taped the connection and ziptied the old battery terminals out of the way. That way if I ever decide to ditch the intake I can put the old battery tray in and no one would ever know I had the battery in the trunk.

>Cataclysm< Sep 4, 2010 01:17 PM

I was contemplating on just getting the ams bracket and going with a braille battery. Braille has a battery the same weight and almost the same size but 1067 crank amps instead of 680.

Mia_RA Sep 4, 2010 03:18 PM

How much would a rear mounted bat. run if you take it somewhere to get it done instead of trying it out yourself?

Kieffer87 Sep 4, 2010 04:02 PM

You could take it to any car audio install shop. Basically it's the same as installing an amplifier in the trunk. I'd say you would have less than $100 in labor + wire + battery.

Kieffer87 Nov 16, 2010 08:15 AM

Finally got my 0GA wire installed. What a world of difference even in warm temperatures. After a bit of research 4GA is really only good for 75A which is far too little when starting in cold weather or even warm weather for that matter.

03chi-town0Z Nov 17, 2010 06:25 PM

looks great, but damn is that unsafe. i wouldnt bother trying to go racing and pass tech inspection any time soon

chlucero Nov 17, 2010 07:47 PM

Quick question. Isn't that dangerous because batteries emit some sort of harmful vapor? Or is the AMS battery self contained or something? Just wondering.

03chi-town0Z Nov 17, 2010 08:52 PM

thats why i said what i did. technically it should be vented out of the car some way and if he ever intends on competing in any type of sanctioned event he'll need some sort of external kill switch/cutoff as well

nunyas Nov 18, 2010 09:42 AM

yeah, IASCA (one of the car stereo competition organizations) would definitely doc points for that, if not disqualify, if there's no venting to outside the car and the battery isn't the sealed type. However, since the battery ~is~ on its side and isn't leaking fluids, that would indicate that it is a sealed (non-venting) battery.

RazorLab Nov 18, 2010 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z (Post 8846258)
looks great, but damn is that unsafe. i wouldnt bother trying to go racing and pass tech inspection any time soon

Originally Posted by nunyas (Post 8847704)
yeah, IASCA (one of the car stereo competition organizations) would definitely doc points for that, if not disqualify, if there's no venting to outside the car and the battery isn't the sealed type. However, since the battery ~is~ on its side and isn't leaking fluids, that would indicate that it is a sealed (non-venting) battery.

That battery you could mount on your dashboard and it would pass tech. It's a drycell battery.

However, in that photo above it doesn't actually look like it's *bolted* down so yes that wouldn't pass tech and is dangerous. It really needs to be mounted.

Veronica Nov 18, 2010 12:54 PM

^true. In a collision it would be a fire hazard.

Gel cel is the only way to go and use the biggest gauge wires you can fit.

03chi-town0Z Nov 18, 2010 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by razorlab (Post 8847893)
That battery you could mount on your dashboard and it would pass tech. It's a drycell battery.

thanks for the clarification {thumbup}, i wasnt sure, though it makes sense that it is on its side without issue. i've only seen one in person and didnt have much time to actually check it out.

would still need to properly secure and kill switch . if only i felt better about drilling into my car...the front plate mount was bad enough :crap: