Notices

Tire/Body Roll Question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2009, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire/Body Roll Question

Long post but I'm just curious what you guys think.

When I first started looking at this car I read over and over that this car was "on rails". I assumed that because it had the IX drive train that it would handle similar to the 9, which from what I've read and heard is absolutely amazing. I personally have never had the chance to ride in any evo, so I can't compare the two. Now that I have my car, I honestly don't think the car drives like it's on rails at all. I find it to be pretty squirrely. At first I thought it was body roll, but I have lost the rear end a few times here and there cornering at stock height and lowered. It honestly has killed my confidence for quick cornering, which is the the one thing I was really looking forward to when I bought the car. I took corners faster in my '04 RA.

I recently read that others were having the same problem, and had contributed it to the stock tries having excessive sidewall flex causing the car to behave this way. Could this really be the problem? Will a new set of tires turn my car into a cornering beast, or is my thinking that the stock car would handle similar to a IX totally wrong? Or do I have no idea what I'm talking about and this car drives like it's on rails.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Put chalk on the sidewall, drive and see how much the tire rolls.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

This has been done by Edmunds.com. better tires help alot
Old Sep 5, 2009, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

The stock tires do suck... very badly.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
definitely. going to a 235 or 245 tire will make a gigantic difference in handling. also adding stiff sway bars will help out a lot with the body roll.