Notices

23,000 miles and need new trans

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2009, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by akj237
P.S.- You're making me wish I would have bought something other than a Mitsubishi. This has been my first and maybe my last after all the **** I've gone through with the dealer and now a possible candy *** transmission
Like what other car? It's good to do research about a certain vehicle or manufacturer b4 u buy. There is nothing wrong with Mitsubishi, the dealers suck yes but even if u buy a honda u can run into problems with the car.

Originally Posted by jazket
Has anyone had the chance to stop for a moment and ask the OP his driving methods?

It's not always the tranny's fault; I know the first tranny that blew on the RA (that I know of... round here) was not the tranny's fault (but thats another subject);

Not to point any fingers at Lancerdave (the OP) but he only mentioned what happened with the tranny after 23,000 miles, he didn't say if he was soft or harsh on it.
Tru. it's not all about the tranny. If i drive through broken glass twice a day and one day my tire pops i can't jus say, "damn these tires suck"
Old Aug 13, 2009, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
That's the problem though, they're basically cramming the TC-SST down your throat. If you want a manual, you're stuck with the Evo or another company entirely.

And how many companies do this?
Old Aug 13, 2009, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

The RA is a performance car. Why should you have to drive "soft" like Ms. Daisy to have the transmission last. If it can't take it there are only two conclusions.

1) Mitsu picked the wrong transmission for the car (engineering fail)
2) Mitsu picked the wrong car for the transmission (management R &D screw up)
Old Aug 13, 2009, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jazket
Has anyone had the chance to stop for a moment and ask the OP his driving methods?
I think the question has been stated or intimated several times thus far.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dboz
The RA is a performance car. Why should you have to drive "soft" like Ms. Daisy to have the transmission last. If it can't take it there are only two conclusions.

1) Mitsu picked the wrong transmission for the car (engineering fail)
2) Mitsu picked the wrong car for the transmission (management R &D screw up)
Its built and marketed as a performance daily driver, doesn't mean it has to be 400HP. thats for the GSR
Old Aug 13, 2009, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

I did a ton of research before I bought my Ralliart. That's why I bought it. It's an awd sporty car which is what I wanted. I guess I just spoke out of frustration with my issues with the dealer. I just really hope this is an isolated issue. I don't beat the **** out of mine but I don't baby it either.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by akj237
I did a ton of research before I bought my Ralliart. That's why I bought it. It's an awd sporty car which is what I wanted. I guess I just spoke out of frustration with my issues with the dealer. I just really hope this is an isolated issue. I don't beat the **** out of mine but I don't baby it either.
Alright i understand about the dealer frustration. But i doubt that this will be a major issue for us. This transmission has been running around in Japan for almost 2 years now and if this was a common issue i think we would've known about it by now.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by boondoc
And how many companies do this?
Offer a single layout for a "performance" car? Plenty but they generally restrict you to a manual (which is easier to mod) or they're something like Ferrari which you're not going to mod anyways. They don't force you to be a guinea pig for their unproven technology that makes it more of a "performance" car than a performance car.

Its built and marketed as a performance daily driver, doesn't mean it has to be 400HP. thats for the GSR
So far I haven't seen a Ralliart get any where near that. People are running into clutch slippage at 300 WHP. I agree that's a decent amount for a daily but if that's as good as it gets...
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:38 PM

A lot of people got very personal when I suggested it was going to have growing pains.
Ahh **** here we go again.

So you take a blind guess about **** you have no idea your talking about like you do have the time you post and now some one posts that their tranny is down and your here for the "told you so"?

Your amazing. I wish I could block your posts so I dont have to read your bull**** and your second hand guessing being offered as fact.

And you have the nerve to question why people call you a Fanboi.
/thread.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Offer a single layout for a "performance" car? Plenty but they generally restrict you to a manual (which is easier to mod) or they're something like Ferrari which you're not going to mod anyways. They don't force you to be a guinea pig for their unproven technology that makes it more of a "performance" car than a performance car.

So far I haven't seen a Ralliart get any where near that. People are running into clutch slippage at 300 WHP. I agree that's a decent amount for a daily but if that's as good as it gets...
Ok we are goin for no apparent reason so i will say this one last time. if u are lookin to mod the **** like crazy the GSR is for you, if u want decent mods on a DD jus to wake the ****er up then the RA is more than sufficient and it will hold 300+HP with no problem the only issue is when u are gettin closer to 350 lb ft. Torque is the enemy right now I'm sure forced induction was an unproven technology at some point but after years of development it became a phenomenon. I'm not sayin it will take over but more performance oriented cars are using that type of transmission. If u don't like don't buy it, simple solution but that doesn't give you the right to talk ****. I doubt Mitsu or any other manufacturer would give u a transmission that will ultimately kill the car, I think we are past the Pinto days now. I personally rather a manual but i do really like this transmission especially with the traffic here. And for most cars in the RA category are restricted to FWD and what does that create when u mod over 300HP torque steer/wheel hop which is not fun no matter how much technology u put into "reducing" it, u cannot run from it. Those companies would be forcing FWD down ur throat as you would put it.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 11:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JONralli09
this "great tranny" is getting to be a GREAT disappointment

Just like the new GTR tranny.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4g64fiero
Ahh **** here we go again.

So you take a blind guess about **** you have no idea your talking about like you do have the time you post and now some one posts that their tranny is down and your here for the "told you so"?

Your amazing. I wish I could block your posts so I dont have to read your bull**** and your second hand guessing being offered as fact.

And you have the nerve to question why people call you a Fanboi.
/thread.
And yet I was still right, for some reason, your comments don't have quite the same impact when I'm right.
You can block my posts, and I encourage you to do so, that way I'm won't have to listen to this kind of garbage anymore. Have fun living in your own private Evom where you simply block people who state things you don't want to hear.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Ok we are goin for no apparent reason so i will say this one last time. if u are lookin to mod the **** like crazy the GSR is for you, if u want decent mods on a DD jus to wake the ****er up then the RA is more than sufficient and it will hold 300+HP with no problem the only issue is when u are gettin closer to 350 lb ft. Torque is the enemy right now I'm sure forced induction was an unproven technology at some point but after years of development it became a phenomenon. I'm not sayin it will take over but more performance oriented cars are using that type of transmission. If u don't like don't buy it, simple solution but that doesn't give you the right to talk ****. I doubt Mitsu or any other manufacturer would give u a transmission that will ultimately kill the car, I think we are past the Pinto days now. I personally rather a manual but i do really like this transmission especially with the traffic here. And for most cars in the RA category are restricted to FWD and what does that create when u mod over 300HP torque steer/wheel hop which is not fun no matter how much technology u put into "reducing" it, u cannot run from it. Those companies would be forcing FWD down ur throat as you would put it.
Forced induction is a very, very old technology, it started with tractors. We still don't fully get it and there are constant **** ups. This transmission is brand new, even Mitsubishi doesn't completely trust it (as evident by their decision not to use it on the FQ-400). I have yet to see a tuner that hasn't ran into the torque protection mode and plenty of people have experienced limp mode, including reviewers. It's a fine idea, and it has a future but this thread should serve as a wake up call to those people who see it as the golden transmission. It's great saying it can shift in a few milliseconds, it rev matches, etc. but if it's becoming a limiting factor in the car's tuning potential, it doesn't mean much. A problem at the moment is if you don't like it, you can't buy a Ralliart.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

Forced induction is a very, very old technology, it started with tractors. We still don't fully get it and there are constant **** ups. This transmission is brand new, even Mitsubishi doesn't completely trust it (as evident by their decision not to use it on the FQ-400). I have yet to see a tuner that hasn't ran into the torque protection mode and plenty of people have experienced limp mode, including reviewers. It's a fine idea, and it has a future but this thread should serve as a wake up call to those people who see it as the golden transmission. It's great saying it can shift in a few milliseconds, it rev matches, etc. but if it's becoming a limiting factor in the car's tuning potential, it doesn't mean much. A problem at the moment is if you don't like it, you can't buy a Ralliart.
Ok but who is sayin its a golden transmission. i have never heard this but why we keep replying u is because the way u word things make it seem like u are bashing every single RA for a problem that ONE is having. And why are we talkin about the FQ? Mitsu knows the limitation of their transmission which is why they didn't put it in. There are manual trannies that have 300-400 lb ft limitations too before having to rebuild or reinforce so what is ur point. The FQ 330 is pushing 322 lb-ft safely and i don't see a problem with that as a DD. The dual clutch/twin clutch technology can hold more power (GTR, Panamara, M5, etc) but this particular transmission is designed for less why? My guess is to keep the cost down. If Mitsu wanted it to hold morepower then we would have to pay more. If/when the tranny become more popular i'm pretty sure the cost will go down and once tuners start opening it up then we will be able to see higher torque capacity.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fanboi Amby sure has a way of spoiling a good thread.....please go away... there are other threads for drama...... does't cosmo have a web page?

Quick Reply: 23,000 miles and need new trans